Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I've had my new 2014 SE, I have had poor FM radio reception. However, I noticed that ever since I changed my wheels to winter wheels without the TPMS valves, my FM reception appears to have magically fixed itself. Does anyone know by any chance if the signal from TPMS valves would interfere with the radio FM signal? I know this sound crazy, but my radio works fine now, and only since I've put my TPMSless winter wheels on. Is it possible to change the frequency of TPMS valves so it wouldn't interfere with FM reception?

Thoughts?

J

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Something else happened.

TPMS uses UHF above 300mhz. FM is 88-108mhz. In radio terms, they are far apart and the TPMS signal is ultra low power. Also TPMS does not transmit all the time so you would notice the reported poor FM reception fluctuating in and out if it were TPMS causing it. So probably not your gremlin.

Good chance your FM reception is related to something else. I could not begin to advise, but a speculative wild guess is the antenna booster installed in the RL above the headliner in the back seat somehow started working properly whereas it was not before. It is a coincidence it happened in conjunction with changing to winter rubber. Another wild guess...perhaps the tire/wheel change jostled a ground somewhere.

You may have read in ROC that the RL FM reception is often reported to be consistently poor even on the best of days, even when it is working as designed. It is one of the very few design problems that made it into the final truck. Honda has chosen to live with it through the years rather than change the design. In my case, the reception is so bad in fact that I only use the radio for talk related programming (news, etc) and use iPod or CD for music.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TPMS uses UHF above 300mhz. FM is 88-108mhz. In radio terms, they are far apart and the TPMS signal is ultra low power. Also TPMS does not transmit all the time so you would notice the reported poor FM reception fluctuating in and out if it were TPMS causing it. So probably not your gremlin.
I get where the TPMS perhaps does not always transmit, but the difference in MHz could. One thing for sure, in comparison with my home microwave that puts out 2450 MHz to my home Wi Fi modem, when the microwave is powered-up, I instantly lose my Wi Fi connection. When I complained to the internet supplier, they mention something not only about frequency but channels. I'm not an expert on this, but do you have knowledge on channel sharing from the TPMS valves or TPMS receiver vs the FM radio reception? Or could the TPMS receiver play a role in this as does it not transmit also when they shake hands during self programming?

In my case, my FM reception now works great which is awesome. I don't think it's an antenna connection as I didn't touch anything and the reception remains even when I go through bumpy roads.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try throwing the wheels we the TPMS sensors in the bed and drive around a bit. That should tell you if they are causing the poor reception

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,795 Posts
Contrary to many reports of bad FM reception, I've never had any complaints with the FM on my OEM radio. Just like my cloth seats... no stain complaints there either... except for the crappy foam in the bolsters which breaks down over time.

But in the OPs case, the coincidence seems too strong to be unrelated. I like the suggestion to put the OEM wheels with the TPMS sensors in the bed and try again.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
ditto with Speed's experience with FM reception. My issue with the OEM HU was the poor AM reception.

However, when replacing the HU with an aftermarket, I followed the advice of one of the resident pundits about hooking up the OEM antenna with a power line and not the antenna power wire in the receiver wiring harness.

Something about the power output on the harness being insufficient. In my experience this has been proven out. The AM reception is much better.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But in the OPs case, the coincidence seems too strong to be unrelated. I like the suggestion to put the OEM wheels with the TPMS sensors in the bed and try again.
I would like to try but my wheels are stored away not at my home where it would very inconveinient just to find out, when my FM works great now. Wish I had them in my garage to try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts