Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has happen several times now. It happens only when it's cold and snowing. The interior windows fog up and leave substantial condensation after sitting a while. It takes several minutes with the fan blasting to start clearing it up.

Any ideas on why or how to stop it?

As a side question, if the fan is on the windshield defrost position, is the AC automaticaly turned on? The display doesn't state so but I think most vehicles work that way now....my Element did.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
joe vt said:
So this has happen several times now. It happens only when it's cold and snowing. The interior windows fog up and leave substantial condensation after sitting a while. It takes several minutes with the fan blasting to start clearing it up.

As a side question, if the fan is on the windshield defrost position, is the AC automaticaly turned on? The display doesn't state so but I think most vehicles work that way now....my Element did.
Yes, the AC is automatically turned on in defrost mode. Don't use your recirculate button either, that will cause fog to form many times.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you just press the defroster button (as opposed to changing the mode to defrost/feet), the fan will blast away full-force, with AC and without recirc. You can press the button again to return to your regular temperature programming.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You can turn the A/C off in any mode.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
joe vt said:

If possible, add a remote start! I leave the A/C in auto, seat heater on.
Today with minor snow, let run 5 minutes and snow was gone off the window and he cab was all warm.

Here's a link to other members with remote start information
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2513&highlight=remote+starter

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
TheRidgester said:
If possible, add a remote start! I leave the A/C in auto, seat heater on.
Today with minor snow, let run 5 minutes and snow was gone off the window and he cab was all warm.

Here's a link to other members with remote start information
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2513&highlight=remote+starter
In all the cars I've had remote start, nothing will work (radio, AC, fan) untill you get in the car, insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. Are saying the RL, works differently?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
In all the cars I've had remote start, nothing will work (radio, AC, fan) untill you get in the car, insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. Are saying the RL, works differently?
What's the point of the remote start if the heater/defroster doesn't work? :confused:
My in-laws installed one on their Exploder and the Heat/Defrost and heated seats all come on.
Maybe its the model thing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
shovelhd said:
You can turn the A/C off in any mode.
Well, sure, but you wouldn't want to do that in this case (clearing fog inside the cabin).

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
I have a DEI system and the radio and other accesories stay off... seat heater, heat defrost etc... do work
Also becareful on wipers.. I left them on once in a jeep I had, the windows were frozen solid and the wipers tried to run but couldnt and burned the motor....
I had a system from uno and it ran the heat etc.. as well.
Perhaps its the shop that does your installation is not familier with programming? My shop fired a guy for that reason

below is info I found on thier web site with an attached brochure that says it has defroster output and extra potential to add other devices for the remote starter

Viper 160XVMSRP $239.99
Brochure Remote Start Two new style miniature 4-button remotes
Additional output channel: Now 4-Channel remote start*/keyless entry* with 2 auxilliary channels, and offer consumers the following features:

• 4-channel remote start/keyless entry system*
  • Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
  • Parking Light Flash
  • Failsafe® Starter Kill
  • Anti-Grind
  • Bright Blue Status LED
  • Miniature XCRS (Extreme Capacity Relay Satellite)
  • Defroster Output
  • Built-in Turbo Timer
  • 2 auxiliary outputs
  • Dome Light Supervision
  • Includes Two 4-button Transmitters

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had the same problem with my old subaru - dealer told me to stop recirc air and just deforst as usual. That did help but eventually I found a leak in the window allowing moisture to get into the car and as it got colder it formed condensation / fog on the inside. I would check carefully for any leaks in the windows-- several threads have stated problems with a rear window leaking water on to the back seat and floor-- check that window really closely. Once the leak in the subaru was fixed the problem stopped for good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I keep getting the fog caca stuff on the rear window and it takes forever to go away... This is when I really wish there was a rear windshield defogger...

So should I be worried about a leak in my rear window???

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
TheRidgester said:
I have a DEI system and the radio and other accesories stay off... seat heater, heat defrost etc... do work
Also becareful on wipers.. I left them on once in a jeep I had, the windows were frozen solid and the wipers tried to run but couldnt and burned the motor....

Thanks TheRidgester. I'm looking to get one installed.:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
joe vt said:
I agree with kdog.... check for wet carpet. In my experience, excessive interior fogging has always been the result of some sort of leak. I think that normal interior fogging should be cleared with the A/C on in a matter of seconds, not minutes, (assuming not on recirc).

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
farmguy said:
I agree with kdog.... check for wet carpet. In my experience, excessive interior fogging has always been the result of some sort of leak. I think that normal interior fogging should be cleared with the A/C on in a matter of seconds, not minutes, (assuming not on recirc).
This is comforting news! We were in the mountains and the windows were all fogged up. We turned on the defroster and the windows were clear almost instantly. I could not stand it if our new Ridgeline had "The Leak".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts