Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a hard job? I bought a replacement (mine shattered with a rock) and figured I’d reach up and under and replace it, only to find out that everything is buttoned up below the bumper. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fook that. I replaced it today and it was a real PITA. I’ll gladly pay to have it done next time. The back of my hand is shredded from squeezing it up in there to get the screws out.
Took about 1.5 hours.
One of those real short screwdrivers is a must as well as a 1/4 ratchet with a Phillips #2 attachment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Errrrrr. Went out to wash my barely 5 month old RTL-E and see the right front fog light took one square on and shattered it. Unbelievable. I have a Tundra for 10 years and nothing like this and can't have this on the road for 4000 miles with out a direct hit and damage. I should have had the clear bra put on every light. Might have saved it

Interstate construction all over the Phoenix and one area in particular is so bad people are avoiding it due to massive amounts if windshield damage. Sure enough I took one right through fog lamp. I'm sure that won't be cheap as that whole front facia will have to come off. Seems to me like random road debris damage is far more prevent lent now that years ago and I'm just going to let this windshield get gutted before I replace it. There has to be a better way

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
178 Posts
Errrrrr. Went out to wash my barely 5 month old RTL-E and see the right front fog light took one square on and shattered it. Unbelievable. I have a Tundra for 10 years and nothing like this and can't have this on the road for 4000 miles with out a direct hit and damage. I should have had the clear bra put on every light. Might have saved it

Interstate construction all over the Phoenix and one area in particular is so bad people are avoiding it due to massive amounts if windshield damage. Sure enough I took one right through fog lamp. I'm sure that won't be cheap as that whole front facia will have to come off. Seems to me like random road debris damage is far more prevent lent now that years ago and I'm just going to let this windshield get gutted before I replace it. There has to be a better way
Pics or it didn’t happen.?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Sorry, sucks. There are videos of how to replace a fog light on the forum. Front doesn't have to come off but it's tight. There are also Pilot videos where they remove a part on the bottom splash shield and then part of the fender line and have decent access. You may also want to check your condenser, the upper grille is kind of open. I put gutter guard on mine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So there it is. I put some clear packing tape over it to keep the glass as intact as possible until I get it replaced but as lame as it sounds I may just wait as the roads here in Arizona are now thrashed which is not usually the case. Betters epic rainfall that has created potholes like we are suddenly in Michigan to the construction there is just s*#@t flying all over the place. The fact that I took a rock so perfectly through this fog lamp is just bad luck. Could have hit anywhere else.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
143 Posts
When I was on line at the dealership I took notice of several O.E. fog lights broken. Decided then I wouldn't mount anything that low.
I'm thinking to run out to TAP PLASTICS & get some plastic to cover the ones on our '19 Sport.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For this same reason I did the laminX to help aid prevention of rock chips in my fogs.

Back in 2001 when the new Honda Civic came out , the fog lights were position even lowered and rock chips kept breaking the glass. My sister bought a 2001 and after they quoted her $170 for one fog replacement at the stealership. I went to Home Depot. Got a thick plexiglas sheet. Removed the oem glass. Had enough lip for the plexiglass to sit flush with , Some waterproof sealer and problem solved. The other side broke eventually and I replaced it with same plexiglass too. Few years later you could get whole assembly replacements for under $30 a pair on eBay.

5 yrs later, She sold the car with the plexiglass still on.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I looked under the bumper a bit and it looks like he whole lower front end is going to have to come off to replace that sense. That is one issue with the Ridgeline. The turn signals are also way in the line of fire. When I have it replaced I'm going to have them put some paint protection film on them. Stinks to have a rock shatter that thing so perfectly 4k miles in. I'll probably live with until I take it in for service and see what they will charge.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If that rock didn't hit your fog light it may of done a fair mark on the bumper that may need to be painted or repaired to some degree $$$. Change the fog light and no body would know

·
Registered
45 Posts
the replacement light is ~$40-$75, but the installation is horrible. Pretty much need to take apart the entire front end.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Here's a video of fog light replacement on a Pilot. Silly design but doesn't look that difficult, Decent savings to be had by DIY. I assume the RL is similar.

·
Registered
217 Posts
the replacement light is ~$40-$75, but the installation is horrible. Pretty much need to take apart the entire front end.
Thats what I was afraid of. I've driven dozens of cars over 40 plus years and never have I had more damage done than the last few years on all my vehicles from road debris. Are the roads that much worse? Are construction methods leaving more rock and debris on the roads? I'm going to have to replace this windshield before 10k miles and most of the driving is in Arizona where there is barely any weather. Can't imagine how anyone in Michigan can make it 2 months without a body shop or alignment shop getting involved.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here's a video of fog light replacement on a Pilot. Silly design but doesn't look that difficult, Decent savings to be had by DIY. I assume the RL is similar.

Yep thanks for this. I can see myself paying the dealer 200 clams to do this as with my lack of patience, skill and luck this would totally wreck my day.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Now I am wondering why only the fog light lenses are made of glass and not plastic coverings like all the other lights. I think the rick would have maybe cracked a plastic lens but not have shattered it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts