Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And I thought the trailer hitch was hard, haha. Took me 6 hours but I got the fog light and bumper guard installed. Dropping the front bumber was easy. Then it came time to drill out the holes. Of course Honda has everything in metric and I have only SAE drill bits but it wasn't critical so I just selected the standard size that was close. Did the bumber guard first, no problem there, drill 10 holes and screw in some bolts and you're done.

Cutting out the hole for the fog lights was easy enough. Just need to go slow while cutting out the curves with a hacksaw blade, I used a open ended hacksaw blade handle. Cutting exactly on the line isn't too critical as the cover will overlap the cut edge by about half inch. Few more screws and they were attached to the bumper.

Then came the fun part of hooking up the wiring harness. That was a bitch but went pretty much as the directions described. The hardest part was with the connections to the lower fuse box. Two connectors had to come out in which you plug two wires from the fog light harness into. Each connector has a wiring lock on it which was quite difficult to figure out how to release and the directions did not give details. I'm not talking about pulling the connector out of the fuse box but rather the connector itself has a wire lock on it that must be release before plugging other wires into it. The big 18 pin one I used a screw driver to ply it off, it was sort of a tab across the whole width that flips up, hard to describe. The other small connector was different and you need needle nose pliers to pull out the white plastic part, not much to grab onto when in place so it took a bunch of tries to get it out.

Then the directions said to look for a 2 pin connector that was blue taped already installed near the headlight. There was no blue taped one for me, it was black taped which stumped me for a bit. After that it was pretty easy going, just alot of cable routing and zip ties.

The front bumper installed back just fine, just mind getting the lower and wheel molding in place before snapping everything back into place.

All said and done it was well worth it. Looks so much better now. I'll see if I can get some preliminary pics up tommorow. Now I'm down to two items left, the fender flares and the wireless backup sensors.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi, Vertrkr:

Thanks for the report. Do you think it was worth it or should we ask the dealer to install? 6 hours seems to be a long time. What do they mean by chrome bumper guard? Isn't it silver color? How would it look on a red truck? or on your ridgeline color?

Do you recommend owner install hitchand wire harness?

Are you installing matching color fender flare or black? I have seen most of the truck have black fender flare. I really like Chevy Avalanche body hardware that surrounds the truck. My Toyota Sienna is like that and it looks great. Do you think anyone or Honda will ever have the full body hardware?

One of my concern is having silver bumper and black fender flare on a red truck will get too colorful.

Sorry to trouble you but you seem really knowledgeable.

thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Blue,

Based on what a dealer got for installing side bumbers, 995.00 installed, I would do this myself. My guess would be $500.00 for dealer install, as there are parts to be rmoved and holes to be drilled. But check with dealer, maybe you can pay retail for the part with no charge for install.

Blue said:
Hi, Vertrkr:

Thanks for the report. Do you think it was worth it or should we ask the dealer to install? 6 hours seems to be a long time. What do they mean by chrome bumper guard? Isn't it silver color? How would it look on a red truck? or on your ridgeline color?

Do you recommend owner install hitchand wire harness?

Are you installing matching color fender flare or black? I have seen most of the truck have black fender flare. I really like Chevy Avalanche body hardware that surrounds the truck. My Toyota Sienna is like that and it looks great. Do you think anyone or Honda will ever have the full body hardware?

One of my concern is having silver bumper and black fender flare on a red truck will get too colorful.

Sorry to trouble you but you seem really knowledgeable.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue said:
Hi, Vertrkr:

Thanks for the report. Do you think it was worth it or should we ask the dealer to install? 6 hours seems to be a long time. What do they mean by chrome bumper guard? Isn't it silver color? How would it look on a red truck? or on your ridgeline color?...thanks.
6 hours was with some breaks and I work slow to make sure everything is perfect. I'd recommend doing it yourself to save tons of cash but only if you're comfortable with taking things apart. As for colors and how they'd look I can only suggest you build your own virtual truck on Honda's site to see:

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/customize/step2.asp?VIEW=34FRONT&MGROUPID=33&MODELYEAR=2006&MODELID=&FUNCTION=configurator&ModelName=Ridgeline

·
Registered
361 Posts
thanks, vertrkr:

Honda build does not allow color selection for fender flare. but the chrome front bumper looks a little stange on a red truck. Black would be better.

Too Bad...

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I just checked the build and price section. The fender flares are body colored. They are not very different from the regular appearance of the vehicle.

Go through the build and price process and when you get to exterior accessories, scroll down far enough to be able to still see the Ridgeline at the top of the page. You should be able to select the radio button for the fender flares while still having the Ridgeline in view so you can see how the picture changes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi, Zero:

I would like to see black fender flare on a red RL. Most fender flares (including CR-V and Pilot) are black. I think black looks better than body color. BUT, I would like to see how black fender flare looks on a red RL before I buy.

thanks for the help again. I have never customized my car. The last time I did was when mono radio was standard and I put stereo radio and speakers in my Karmon Ghia and Scirocco.

·
2,346 Posts
I honestly don't know if they make black fender flares or not. I have not seen tham listed as one of Honda's accessories.

Maybe the aftermarket will provide such a product.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Zero,

Wouldn't the fender flares for the black ridgeline be black?

zero said:
I honestly don't know if they make black fender flares or not. I have not seen tham listed as one of Honda's accessories.

Maybe the aftermarket will provide such a product.

·
2,346 Posts
Of course they would. You would think I would know that considering I am waiting for a black Ridgeline.

I guess I meant to say that I didn't think Honda sold a generic black fender flare other than the body colored one that matches the nighthawk black pearl.

I guess if you really wanted then to they could sell you black febder flares for a red Ridgeline.

Thanks delphi7x10 for pointing out my brain fart. I was wondering what smelled around here! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts

vertrkr

The instructions for removing the front bumper sound complicated .

Does it fasten to the main metal cross bar ?

I need to remove the front bumper to disassemble the factory grill for
measurements .

If you have photos that would be great .

I agree with your comments on the towing package - it is do able .

Thanks

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
H345 said:
vertrkr
The instructions for removing the front bumper sound complicated .
Does it fasten to the main metal cross bar ?
I need to remove the front bumper to disassemble the factory grill for
measurements .
If you have photos that would be great .
I agree with your comments on the towing package - it is do able .
Thanks
It's really easy actually. Just take out all the clips, bolts and screws as the directions specify. Then start pulling at it from the edge near a tire and it will start to come off. It has some friction clips so you have to pull on it a little bit. Sorry, no pics with it off.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I just got my truck back from the dealer with the fog lights installed. It looks good. matches well with the Silver color. I shelled the money to get it installed because I felt I negotiated a good deal.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bongus said:
I just got my truck back from the dealer with the fog lights installed. It looks good. matches well with the Silver color. I shelled the money to get it installed because I felt I negotiated a good deal.
Right on man, love the fog lights. Just raised them up a bit tonight, found they were pointing just a wee bit too low. Love the extended horizontal coverage they provide.

·
Registered
46 Posts
BLUE

I was thinking along the same line, but I will wait a while.

The first color mod should be to install the Silver or Black door mouldings on a Red Rock Ridge.

At least it would be easy to recognize in a mall parking lot filled with Ridges.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just installed the fog lights tonight.

Vertrkr, thanks for the tips on the harness connector locks - saved me a lot of time.

The one thing I did differently was how I cut out the hole in the bumper. I'm not sure why Honda says to drill a bunch of 40mm holes and use a hacksaw blade to trim from hole to hole - too "old school" for me, plus I'm lazy.

I used a rotozip bit in my Dremel tool. The Dremel can get into much tighter areas verses the RotoZip tool, however the bit fits fine in the Dremel. I just went slow and followed the cut line that is already marked on the inside of the bumper.

As for drilling the two holes in the bumper, there is no need to find a 5.5mm bit, the hole just has to be big enough for the screw to fit though.

On my truck the connector behind the headlight wasn't taped at all.

-W

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whaleya said:
I just installed the fog lights tonight.

Vertrkr, thanks for the tips on the harness connector locks - saved me a lot of time.

The one thing I did differently was how I cut out the hole in the bumper. I'm not sure why Honda says to drill a bunch of 40mm holes and use a hacksaw blade to trim from hole to hole - too "old school" for me, plus I'm lazy.

I used a rotozip bit in my Dremel tool. The Dremel can get into much tighter areas verses the RotoZip tool, however the bit fits fine in the Dremel. I just went slow and followed the cut line that is already marked on the inside of the bumper.

As for drilling the two holes in the bumper, there is no need to find a 5.5mm bit, the hole just has to be big enough for the screw to fit though.

On my truck the connector behind the headlight wasn't taped at all.

-W
Good point on both, I almost used my Dremel but figured I could make a mistake really quick with that so I went slow with the manual hack saw blade. Either way you got a little free play to make mistakes with but not by much more than a half an inch when cutting the holes out, if your hands are steady the dremel will defintely save some time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You all are very ambitious.

I dropped my Ridge off at the dealer played a round of golf then picked it up.

Parts: $357 (Honda Cost)
Installation: $160 (Honda 2 hour quote)
Golf: $50
Beer $15
Knowing that if they screwed up my bumper they would have to replace it: PRICELESS!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also attempted the fog light installation. Not for the faint of heart.

Hard to work your hands between things to place all those wire ties to secure the harness.

I should have read the earlier post and the directions more thoroughly about the "wire lock mechanism" for the connectors in the lower fuse box. I must have fumbled around for an hour trying to figure out why these wires where not seating properly. After I cleared away the grease from the socket holes I discovered they wouldn't seat because for the "wire lock mechanism". A small head screw driver works well to pry up the lock on the 18 pin connector.
Same screw driver works well on the 2 Pin connector, by prying and rotating the screw driver head between the white tab and the connector casing.

In any case, I finished the job to find the fog lights don't work.
Any suggestions, would be helpful?

I am a little confused on Direction #46: Is it requiring the "blue male" and "blue female" connectors that reside on the same harness to be connected? Because that is what I did. However the drawing seems to show that the male connector comes from somewhere above and not the harness itself?

Direction 47 is confusing as well: Plug the switch harness 5-pin connector(blue) and 5-pin connector(brown) into fog light switch and vehicle switch.
.....What "Vehicle Switch"....Drawing shows vehicle switch to be in the location of the Cruise Control Switch. And also can't tell which connector "Blue" or "Brown" goes to the Fog Light Switch?

Appreciate help from those that have done this installation.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
greenridge said:
I also attempted the fog light installation. Not for the faint of heart.

Hard to work your hands between things to place all those wire ties to secure the harness.

I should have read the earlier post and the directions more thoroughly about the "wire lock mechanism" for the connectors in the lower fuse box. I must have fumbled around for an hour trying to figure out why these wires where not seating properly. After I cleared away the grease from the socket holes I discovered they wouldn't seat because for the "wire lock mechanism". A small head screw driver works well to pry up the lock on the 18 pin connector.
Same screw driver works well on the 2 Pin connector, by prying and rotating the screw driver head between the white tab and the connector casing.

In any case, I finished the job to find the fog lights don't work.
Any suggestions, would be helpful?

I am a little confused on Direction #46: Is it requiring the "blue male" and "blue female" connectors that reside on the same harness to be connected? Because that is what I did. However the drawing seems to show that the male connector comes from somewhere above and not the harness itself?

Direction 47 is confusing as well: Plug the switch harness 5-pin connector(blue) and 5-pin connector(brown) into fog light switch and vehicle switch.
.....What "Vehicle Switch"....Drawing shows vehicle switch to be in the location of the Cruise Control Switch. And also can't tell which connector "Blue" or "Brown" goes to the Fog Light Switch?

Appreciate help from those that have done this installation.

thanks.
It's been awhile but I remember something about the last steps of the directions being confusing and not complete. As I recall you plug one of the existing plugs that went to the switch into the new harness and then the harness plug to the switch or something like that. Take another look as everything has it's place somewhere and it all plugs into something but I certainly recall the directions forgetting to mention 1 plug.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts