Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to be able to run the Fogs with only the parking lights and as well with headlights when needed. I've owned many vehicles over the years and so far, jeep and Chevy Tahoe are the only ones that allows this from the factory.
I asked the dealer if they could change it, or show me how. They said it can not be done...hmmm I'm an engineer and that answer just dosent work for me.
Anyone have a wiring spec on the system.. I know the install sheet for the fogs, has one, but not enough to bypass the needed circuit. I know I could run my own wire and do this on my own, but in the real world, not my dealers snooty no can do world, there has to be a way:) any help would be appriciated.
Oh ya.. my reason.. in true fog (heavy) the fogs are nice(would be nicer in a yellow light, as it cuts thru better) but when you have the headlights on as well... its pointless, you cant see well as the headlights are blinding! If its saftey they are concered over... whats safer?
If I'm wrong maybe, i'm open for another way?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Not sure if the colour has anything to do with fog lights. It's the pattern that makes them effective. Anyway, I have aftermarket PIAA fog lamps. I haven't installed them on the RL yet, as I just took them off my old Civic.

Just splice into the parking light wire. The only problem with that is in some jurisdictions, the fog lamps must be hooked up so the headlights must also be on.

Off road use, no problem.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I wouldn't just add the fog light load to the parking circuit. I would add a relay triggered by the parking circuit that is sourced by the battery.

The parking lights, as well as the the taillights, and the license plate marker lights, are all powered off of the same 15A circuit, which lives in the under-hood fuse/relay box. This is on the left side rear of your engine compartment, as you look under the hood. You will want to tap into the red/blk wire.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just a word of caution for those that do not have a lot of electrical experience, you must put a seperate fuse AT THE SOURCE END (battery or fuse block end) of the wire that feeds power to your device, in this case the fog lights and relay. If the fuse is at the far end of the wire near the lights and the wire gets shorted to the body, the wire will light up just like a toaster and burn until it melts appart. Far too many vehicle fires are cause by the lack of a fuse between the short and the battery. Also, do not connect the negative wire for your device directly to the negative battery terminal. Connect it to the body or other suitable electrical ground.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
shovelhd said:
I wouldn't just add the fog light load to the parking circuit. I would add a relay triggered by the parking circuit that is sourced by the battery.

The parking lights, as well as the the taillights, and the license plate marker lights, are all powered off of the same 15A circuit, which lives in the under-hood fuse/relay box. This is on the left side rear of your engine compartment, as you look under the hood. You will want to tap into the red/blk wire.
Uh....... most decent fog lights come with the relay. PIAA does it right. Their kits are top notch - almost fool proof, not to mention weatherproof. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the wire colour info. It'll save me from having to look it up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get me a wiring diagram of your car and ill show you which wires to play with for the StandAlone Fog Mod...Were all enthusiasts here...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Just a word of caution for those that do not have a lot of electrical experience, you must put a seperate fuse AT THE SOURCE END (battery or fuse block end) of the wire that feeds power to your device, in this case the fog lights and relay. If the fuse is at the far end of the wire near the lights and the wire gets shorted to the body, the wire will light up just like a toaster and burn until it melts appart. Far too many vehicle fires are cause by the lack of a fuse between the short and the battery. Also, do not connect the negative wire for your device directly to the negative battery terminal. Connect it to the body or other suitable electrical ground.
Can anyone suggest books, websites, other information that would teach basics of wiring in a car? I'm comfortable doing my own house wiring (under supervision/inspection of an electrician) but car wiring seems very different--lots more colors that's for sure. I'd like to install aftermarket driving lamps--I'm interested inthe ones that turn in the direction that the car is turning to see around corners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nwdiver said:
Can anyone suggest books, websites, other information that would teach basics of wiring in a car? I'm comfortable doing my own house wiring (under supervision/inspection of an electrician) but car wiring seems very different--lots more colors that's for sure. I'd like to install aftermarket driving lamps--I'm interested inthe ones that turn in the direction that the car is turning to see around corners.
Heh....Im the complete opposite. I find thatt he more colors help me, so I dont cross wires that are not supposed to be crossed.

Wiring Driving lights is easy. There are tons of wiring diagrams out there, just do a google. Ive never heard of these turning driving lamps, have a link?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the factory fogs, they do help out in actual fog conditions and fill in side views without fog. Anyone doing aftermarket fogs? if so post a pic after your done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
TacomaDCLB said:
Heh....Im the complete opposite. I find thatt he more colors help me, so I dont cross wires that are not supposed to be crossed.

Wiring Driving lights is easy. There are tons of wiring diagrams out there, just do a google. Ive never heard of these turning driving lamps, have a link?
I'll try to find the site again and post it. So far I can't find it! :( The newer Lexus and (I think) BMW are coming with them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nwdiver said:
I'll try to find the site again and post it. So far I can't find it! :( The newer Lexus and (I think) BMW are coming with them.
Yes, I know about the RX330. But Ive just never seen them aftermarket...

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
TacomaDCLB said:
Yea those wouldnt be too hard to install. Hella's instructions arent the greatest though. They provide you with a wiring diagram, as opposed to walking you through step by step. But if you can open your mind up a little bit, you'd be able to have those on in about an hour, probably less...

So hows the face supa, sounds like a nasty spill ya had there. Did you ever get your fogs done on your truck or are you still searching for a way to do it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
bellteck said:
So hows the face supa, sounds like a nasty spill ya had there. Did you ever get your fogs done on your truck or are you still searching for a way to do it?
hehe..so u heard of my spill...its doing MUCH better. all the scabs have peeled off (by themselves), and the skin there is slowly starting to blend in.

I figured out the way to wire the fog lamps on my truck. I just need to find time. Ill do that when I put int he Dual Batteries system...

·
Registered
133 Posts
A rock took out my passenger side fog light. Dealer wants $120 for a replacement. Anyone know of another source or option??

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the factory fogs and would like to be able to use them without other lights for off road purposes.

Is there a way to jumper a wire to the fog switch / relay inside the cab so they can stand alone? The fogswitch is inside, is the relay?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts