Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First the good: the new RL drives so much better than the old RL in every way. Much more power. Better gas mileage. Better handling. Better ride. Nicer interior look.

I went to my local dealer today (Bob Boyte Honda of Brandon, Ms). They had the exact model and color I had been waiting for in stock: RTL AWD in Modern Steel. Perfect... right?

I wish.

The bad: I asked the dealer if I could drive it home (I live 1 mile away) to check whether a full sized stroller would fit in the trunk. We had a larger Graco stroller when I had my 2010 RTL. Fit perfectly in the 2010. Our smaller Britax B-Agile stroller WILL NOT COME CLOSE TO FITTING in the 2017 RTL. The trunk is sooo much smaller than the G1 Ridgeline.

Ditto on the rear seat room. I do NOT remember my old RTL being so cramped in the backseat. It's sad. If you have a 2+ year old in a front facing seat, be prepared to slide the front seats most of the way forward. I'm 5'10" and with my seating position, a front facing Britax car seat would have the child's feet completely up against the front seat. Our Britax Snug Ride rear facing baby carrier car seat would be a tight fit as well. I think it would touch both front seats if mounted in the middle.

The rear seat leg room is very reminiscent of the leg room in my 2007 Nissan Frontier crew cab. Very "compact car" feel.

I wanted to LOVE the G2. And I do. But it just won't work with our child equipment. I don't think the door opening would be an issue in the back seat. I agree it should open wider. Our 2016 Pilot rear doors open wider than the new RL. Honda went in the wrong direction with this redesign. From the front doors forward: GREAT! From the front doors back: Terrible. So basically all of the Pilot parts are awesome. All the RL-unique parts suck. A tonneau cover would be a great solution. Except the tailgate doesn't lock. So nothing would be secure. And I'm not putting a $400 infant travel system in a non locking bed, tonneau or not.

That 4 inches of bed length would have been better served added to the back seat leg space. If they were going to rob so much from the Pilot, Honda should have taken everything from the cargo/truck bed forward not the front doors forward. The Pilot back seat is so much more roomy. No comparison.

This would have been the perfect family vehicle for us. It would have really complimented our new Pilot. The Ridgeline is a hot item this year because it's new. Next year, it'll flop. I'll revisit the RL in 3-4 years.

Tomorrow we will become a 2 Pilot family. My wife got a blue 2016 Pilot. And I will be trading my 2013 Tundra CrewMax in for Modern Steel 2016 Pilot EX-L. Or a gray 2016 Explorer XLT. Probably the Pilot though.

Honda missed the target.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
971 Posts
I tried saying this earlier on another post but they tune out the truth to hear what they want to hear. They like to argue the point and logic with bias opinions to protect the positive spin on the gen2.

It's almost pointless even bothering to answer but you have to shed the truth when asked to try to help others make an educated decision based on practicality.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I tried saying this earlier on another post but they tune out the truth to hear what they want to hear. They like to argue the point and logic with bias opinions to protect the positive spin on the gen2.

It's almost pointless even bothering to answer but you have to shed the truth when asked to try to help others make an educated decision based on practicality.
....????.... you poor neglected soul! >:)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. "They" are beasties, aren't they. Who are "they" anyway???

Just different opinions my man.... we need thicker skin me thinks. :laugh:

·
Registered
48 Posts
First the good: the new RL drives so much better than the old RL in every way. Much more power. Better gas mileage. Better handling. Better ride. Nicer interior look.

I went to my local dealer today (Bob Boyte Honda of Brandon, Ms). They had the exact model and color I had been waiting for in stock: RTL AWD in Modern Steel. Perfect... right?

I wish.

The bad: I asked the dealer if I could drive it home (I live 1 mile away) to check whether a full sized stroller would fit in the trunk. We had a larger Graco stroller when I had my 2010 RTL. Fit perfectly in the 2010. Our smaller Britax B-Agile stroller WILL NOT COME CLOSE TO FITTING in the 2017 RTL. The trunk is sooo much smaller than the G1 Ridgeline.

Ditto on the rear seat room. I do NOT remember my old RTL being so cramped in the backseat. It's sad. If you have a 2+ year old in a front facing seat, be prepared to slide the front seats most of the way forward. I'm 5'10" and with my seating position, a front facing Britax car seat would have the child's feet completely up against the front seat. Our Britax Snug Ride rear facing baby carrier car seat would be a tight fit as well. I think it would touch both front seats if mounted in the middle.

The rear seat leg room is very reminiscent of the leg room in my 2007 Nissan Frontier crew cab. Very "compact car" feel.

I wanted to LOVE the G2. And I do. But it just won't work with our child equipment. I don't think the door opening would be an issue in the back seat. I agree it should open wider. Our 2016 Pilot rear doors open wider than the new RL. Honda went in the wrong direction with this redesign. From the front doors forward: GREAT! From the front doors back: Terrible. So basically all of the Pilot parts are awesome. All the RL-unique parts suck. A tonneau cover would be a great solution. Except the tailgate doesn't lock. So nothing would be secure. And I'm not putting a $400 infant travel system in a non locking bed, tonneau or not.

That 4 inches of bed length would have been better served added to the back seat leg space. If they were going to rob so much from the Pilot, Honda should have taken everything from the cargo/truck bed forward not the front doors forward. The Pilot back seat is so much more roomy. No comparison.

This would have been the perfect family vehicle for us. It would have really complimented our new Pilot. The Ridgeline is a hot item this year because it's new. Next year, it'll flop. I'll revisit the RL in 3-4 years.

Tomorrow we will become a 2 Pilot family. My wife got a blue 2016 Pilot. And I will be trading my 2013 Tundra CrewMax in for Modern Steel 2016 Pilot EX-L. Or a gray 2016 Explorer XLT. Probably the Pilot though.

Honda missed the target.

This is interesting, on paper the rear seat room in the G2 is comparable to the G1; unfortunately that doesn't always translate to real-world. I do remember things being tight when I looked at the G1 years ago when trying to put a carrier carseat in the back.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dnick...I don't what your taking about. The truth is the truth as its factual not opinion based and either accept it which may help one make a wise decision or you do not. some "people" won't or don't want to believe it. It's an expensive mistake otherwise and therefore the OP comment and mine are helpful in nature.

Yet instead of agreeing or not your going out of your way and off on "beasties" and suggesting I get thicker skin"? I'm not sure your point other than perhaps passing personal judgement and trying to bait me into an argument. One I'm not going to bite.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You obviously weren't in the truck market if you got a Pilot. Why not just get a smaller stroller? You are already spending $50k. Many of the new, albeit $1,000 strollers fit in the trunk well.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Dnick...I don't what your taking about. The truth is the truth as its factual not opinion based and either accept it which may help one make a wise decision or you do not. some "people" won't or don't want to believe it. It's an expensive mistake otherwise and therefore the OP comment and mine are helpful in nature.

Yet instead of agreeing or not your going out of your way and off on "beasties" and suggesting I get thicker skin"? I'm not sure your point other than perhaps passing personal judgement and trying to bait me into an argument. One I'm not going to bite.
Whatever Martin.... I was just struck by what seemed to me to be an over-sensitivity to contrary opinions. People will disagree, and some will disagree in a disagreeable fashion. I guess I was just triggered by your phraseology, as in "they tune out the truth & hear what they want to hear". Maybe they do & maybe they don't.
There are truths & there are truths.... but any of us appointing ourselves as the final arbitor of which is the right opinion just seems a little self-important to me.
If I offended, I do apologize.... it was late, and I was amused. Perhaps I should have been more empathetic? It just didn't fit my inclinations at the time.
But there will be MANY differing opinions shared here, some of which will be ridiculous, when measured by our own perceptions. But unless we're talking about weights & measures, or other similarly objective reports (locking tailgate for instance), it's not that big a deal to let others have differing opinions, even if we think they're downright loco.
You will note that I didn't criticize your having an opinion.... just that you seemed to want to dismiss other opinions that differ with yours. That's all..... intrusive as you may find it.
Peace brother.... :act006:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You obviously weren't in the truck market if you got a Pilot. Why not just get a smaller stroller? You are already spending $50k. Many of the new, albeit $1,000 strollers fit in the trunk well.

I was in the market for a truck. It just didn't work out. Family comes first. I loved the new RL. I just think Honda could have made the back seat roomier and kept the bed length the same. I loved my gen 1 RL. It was awesome. I regret getting the Tundra in 2013 instead of another RL. I learned my lesson. The Tundra was too much truck. Lifting a baby carrier to chest level and then nearly 3 feet into the center of my truck was killing my back. The '17 RL was so close to perfect but missed the mark for ME.

I'm not going to read anything into the following observation. You make your own interpretation. Here it is: in the two visits (2-3 hours each) I saw 8 people (including me) test drive the same two 2017 RLs (a white 2wd RTL-T and a gray AWD RTL). All of the customers left without even coming in the building.

Now an update for me: I just purchased a 2wd 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L in Modern Steel Metallic. Just like my wife's 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L in Steel Sapphire Metallic. Pilots are awesome.

If Honda is listening: the next Ridgeline should be even MORE Pilot. It should be 3/4 Pilot instead of 1/2 Pilot. Add another foot to overall length and wheelbase. Give us the Pilot back seat and back doors. That's what Toyota did with the Tundra CrewMax. Toyota took the cab straight from the Sequoia. Same backseat even (2007-2013).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Whatever Martin.... I was just struck by what seemed to me to be an over-sensitivity to contrary opinions. People will disagree, and some will disagree in a disagreeable fashion. I guess I was just triggered by your phraseology, as in "they tune out the truth & hear what they want to hear". Maybe they do & maybe they don't.
There are truths & there are truths.... but any of us appointing ourselves as the final arbitor of which is the right opinion just seems a little self-important to me.
If I offended, I do apologize.... it was late, and I was amused. Perhaps I should have been more empathetic? It just didn't fit my inclinations at the time.
But there will be MANY differing opinions shared here, some of which will be ridiculous, when measured by our own perceptions. But unless we're talking about weights & measures, or other similarly objective reports (locking tailgate for instance), it's not that big a deal to let others have differing opinions, even if we think they're downright loco.
You will note that I didn't criticize your having an opinion.... just that you seemed to want to dismiss other opinions that differ with yours. That's all..... intrusive as you may find it.
Peace brother.... :act006:
Its all good don't worry about it. I like your input on this website just though maybe I was being helpful on the topic , but perhaps it sounded off base.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Another thread shows with pictures a front facing, booster, and convertible seat fitting just fine for a 6'+ driver. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/136073-back-seat-back-doors-child-seats-bikes-w-lotsa-pics.html

Car seats come in all shapes and sizes. I know some Britax car seats are massive (e.g. the marathon) and need a lot of room (note - i'm a Britax fan and only bought them for my 2 kids though never the marathon). People also prefer different seating positions in the front seat to feel comfortable. Ultimately it'll come down to both the carseat and the driver (or passenger depending where you put the carseat).

I would suggest anyone with a carseat try it out first and make a decision based on your own situation rather than solely base your decision on such a subjective thing. For those who don't have a kid now but anticipate in the future, you'll have to make a judgement call. Some seats appear to fit. Some seats appear like they might not or be tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts