Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Before anyone breaks my balls on this....I mentioned it be a consideration for "some" people....

I noticed the new 2017 Nissan Titans (referring to the 1/2 ton, not the XD) are showing up on dealer lots. There are folks here comparing the Ridgeline against the Canyon, Tacoma, F150, etc so this may just another contender. I'm no longer in the market (happy with my Ridgeline), but if I was, I may be tempted to check it out (just for the hell of it).

For a truck trying to compete with Ford/Chevy/Toyota, their pricing seems a bit high to me. I read somewhere they are targeting to sell 100,000 trucks a year, which seems a bit ambitious. I believe Toyota sells about 110,000 Tundras a year, which is considerably more established than the Titan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think a lot of people will make the comparison to full-sized. I am. Full-sized trucks have gotten ridiculously large and over-spec'd. What people like me really want is the cab space to comfortably seat a family of 4-5 along with the manageable length and lower bed sides of a mid-size. The Ridgeline comes closest to that, though it is still a bit small for someone of my height. It can still be a tough sell, just because domestic full-size trucks sell for $10K under MSRP and get similar fuel economy.

The Titan looks like a Chinese knock-off of the last gen F-150. Fuel mileage doesn't quite look up to snuff either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fuel mileage doesn't quite look up to snuff either.
Have they released anything on the mileage of the non XD version? I haven't seen anything. I believe they're supposed to come out with a V6 next year too.

My dad has had an '04 titan for the last 12 years. It has been a very solid and reliable truck with about 150k miles on it now.
When it debuted, it has well ahead of the pack in just about every category, but really never could catch the big 3.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have they released anything on the mileage of the non XD version? I haven't seen anything. I believe they're supposed to come out with a V6 next year too.

My dad has had an '04 titan for the last 12 years. It has been a very solid and reliable truck with about 150k miles on it now.
When it debuted, it has well ahead of the pack in just about every category, but really never could catch the big 3.
EPA testing not completed yet but Nissan estimates 15/21 for the half-ton.

I liked the original Titan when it came out. It was probably a bit too different in looks at the time and then didn't get any significant updates.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think a lot of people will make the comparison to full-sized. I am. Full-sized trucks have gotten ridiculously large and over-spec'd. What people like me really want is the cab space to comfortably seat a family of 4-5 along with the manageable length and lower bed sides of a mid-size. The Ridgeline comes closest to that, though it is still a bit small for someone of my height. It can still be a tough sell, just because domestic full-size trucks sell for $10K under MSRP and get similar fuel economy.

The Titan looks like a Chinese knock-off of the last gen F-150. Fuel mileage doesn't quite look up to snuff either.
Chinese knock-off hahahaha. You are very right about that, plus i'd rather have a Honda then own a Nissan. There is just something about Nissan that rubs me the wrong way. I mean the Frontier has looked the same since 2006 for that matter, maybe if they redesign it people will take them serious in the midsize truck market. But as much as i hate Nissan, i have a 2012 RWD Frontier sport sitting in my driveway and i love it as much as i love my RL. On another note, i dont think you can compare the Titan and the RL because in my opinion i feel like the Titan is more comparable to a F-150 or a Silverado.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wouldn't compare the RL to the Titan... completely different class on multiple levels...
I also had a Frontier LE in 2006... LOVED it... Today it wouldn't compete, and unfortunately, not much has changed (which is why it doesn't compete). But, lots about to really like, not the least of which were the bed accessories - the sliding rails, and the bed extender, which flipped over and out of the way, when not needed...

But, I'm extremely pleased w/ my RL... Zero issues. VIN ~3600+ (maybe the trick is getting a LOW VIN...)

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are totally different vehicles. Had a 2007 Titan, loved it. But it and the new one are nothing like the RL. Silly comparison imho.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The comparison is due to price point, not class. Not all will cross shop, but many will due to price. What kind of truck can I get for $35-40K?

I see no real innovation here. Nothing you can't get better from some other mfg'r. The 5/100 warranty might entice a few, but I don't see this being a serious player in the full-size class.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Most midsized trucks are just to tight for some people. I'm 6 feet tall but very broad shoulders , anyway, I really feel cramped in mid sized trucks, I dont at all in the Ridgeline.
Just another reason to cross shop , along with the wider bed to accommodate sheets of plywood etc..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Most midsized trucks are just to tight for some people. I'm 6 feet tall but very broad shoulders , anyway, I really feel cramped in mid sized trucks, I dont at all in the Ridgeline.
Just another reason to cross shop , along with the wider bed to accommodate sheets of plywood etc..
I completely agree. I am 6'5 and my frontier is way too cramped (its a crew cab to btw). I fit perfectly in the RL. With the seat all the way back in the Frontier you cant fit someone behind you comfortably. In the RL its a diffrent story.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chinese knock-off hahahaha. You are very right about that, plus i'd rather have a Honda then own a Nissan. There is just something about Nissan that rubs me the wrong way. I mean the Frontier has looked the same since 2006 for that matter, maybe if they redesign it people will take them serious in the midsize truck market. But as much as i hate Nissan, i have a 2012 RWD Frontier sport sitting in my driveway and i love it as much as i love my RL. On another note, i dont think you can compare the Titan and the RL because in my opinion i feel like the Titan is more comparable to a F-150 or a Silverado.
Dude, have you looked at the sales numbers? The Frontier outsold everything but the Tacoma last month, even with it being 10 years old...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dude, have you looked at the sales numbers? The Frontier outsold everything but the Tacoma last month, even with it being 10 years old...
I'm talking about since it has been out, not just "last month" and of course its going to outsell alot of things, its due for a redesign in 2018 so people are snatching them up as fast as they can. That truck is the best bang for your buck right now. The dealers are probably giving them away. Don't get me wrong i love the Frontier, like i said i have one but the current style is just way to outdated. Excited to see what the redesign brings.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Speaking of alternatives...

With the VW-Navistar alliance announced yesterday, I wonder if VW has plans to eventually bring the Amarok to the U.S.? Granted, they are doing it to get their commercial trucks into the U.S. market, but they have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
971 Posts

I guess your right the key word is "looks' like a knock off F-150. In reality the new Titan is huge improvement big dollars were spent to compete in the US market. I heard this truck was actually designed and built in the US so although it may look like a knock off Chinese made truck its not. However imo two things that stood out in the negative category is very shallow bed compared to the Ford and possibly others makes and a rear floor that is not truly flat although they try to to make it flat by a pull out system that converts back and forth. Problem here is its another step and it alters the back seat height. Fords does not alter at all. IMO the front end is missing the mark and it looks to be really large compared to the F-150 which is big as well. Although I have to say after driving the F-150 around it doesn't seem that way to me at all anymore. Its quite nimble in design at least in stock mode and shares a healthy rake to the front makes it a bit more sporty in some trims especially with the larger 20 inch wheels.

NOTE: Drove by the Honda dealer and they have three in stock 2 BE and 1 RTL higher trim model with chrome around the windows. They have been sitting there for a few weeks now. It was my first glimpse and I was really taken back to how small it appears. Mind you I am now familiarized with the F-150 but still before when I didn't have one, the pics made it look really small. Im not thrashing it I am just saying it really does have a low profile look. This is its thing and how it sets it apart from others. Some will love this! Its very sporty imo the tires were a disappointment in appearance for a BE heavy priced item. The bed seemed also very shallow. Overall it was just ok and I still see a tremendous amount of the back in the day smaller sized S-10 in it. Some may not agree but it sure looks that way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The new Titan XD Consumer Reports just reviewed cost them $51,000.
Overall score 48 vs. 77 for F 150 XLT and the Tundra's 66.
No CR road test yet for the RL.

On the Titan, advanced safety features like forward collision warning and auto emergency braking are not available.
The Honda Sensing Safety Package is the main reason I went for the Ridgeline.
And when gas does go back the 25 MPG RLs will become more popular; the 15MPG Titan, not so much.

Reactions: sonicpips
1 - 19 of 19 Posts