Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

For some, a new Ridgeline contender is a available...Nissan Titan

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Ridgerunner67 
#1 ·
Hey,

Before anyone breaks my balls on this....I mentioned it be a consideration for "some" people....

I noticed the new 2017 Nissan Titans (referring to the 1/2 ton, not the XD) are showing up on dealer lots. There are folks here comparing the Ridgeline against the Canyon, Tacoma, F150, etc so this may just another contender. I'm no longer in the market (happy with my Ridgeline), but if I was, I may be tempted to check it out (just for the hell of it).

For a truck trying to compete with Ford/Chevy/Toyota, their pricing seems a bit high to me. I read somewhere they are targeting to sell 100,000 trucks a year, which seems a bit ambitious. I believe Toyota sells about 110,000 Tundras a year, which is considerably more established than the Titan.

#2 · (Edited)
I think a lot of people will make the comparison to full-sized. I am. Full-sized trucks have gotten ridiculously large and over-spec'd. What people like me really want is the cab space to comfortably seat a family of 4-5 along with the manageable length and lower bed sides of a mid-size. The Ridgeline comes closest to that, though it is still a bit small for someone of my height. It can still be a tough sell, just because domestic full-size trucks sell for $10K under MSRP and get similar fuel economy.

The Titan looks like a Chinese knock-off of the last gen F-150. Fuel mileage doesn't quite look up to snuff either.

#3 · (Edited)
Fuel mileage doesn't quite look up to snuff either.
Have they released anything on the mileage of the non XD version? I haven't seen anything. I believe they're supposed to come out with a V6 next year too.

My dad has had an '04 titan for the last 12 years. It has been a very solid and reliable truck with about 150k miles on it now.
When it debuted, it has well ahead of the pack in just about every category, but really never could catch the big 3.

#7 ·
Chinese knock-off hahahaha. You are very right about that, plus i'd rather have a Honda then own a Nissan. There is just something about Nissan that rubs me the wrong way. I mean the Frontier has looked the same since 2006 for that matter, maybe if they redesign it people will take them serious in the midsize truck market. But as much as i hate Nissan, i have a 2012 RWD Frontier sport sitting in my driveway and i love it as much as i love my RL. On another note, i dont think you can compare the Titan and the RL because in my opinion i feel like the Titan is more comparable to a F-150 or a Silverado.

#8 ·
I wouldn't compare the RL to the Titan... completely different class on multiple levels...
I also had a Frontier LE in 2006... LOVED it... Today it wouldn't compete, and unfortunately, not much has changed (which is why it doesn't compete). But, lots about to really like, not the least of which were the bed accessories - the sliding rails, and the bed extender, which flipped over and out of the way, when not needed...

But, I'm extremely pleased w/ my RL... Zero issues. VIN ~3600+ (maybe the trick is getting a LOW VIN...)

#10 ·
The comparison is due to price point, not class. Not all will cross shop, but many will due to price. What kind of truck can I get for $35-40K?

I see no real innovation here. Nothing you can't get better from some other mfg'r. The 5/100 warranty might entice a few, but I don't see this being a serious player in the full-size class.

#19 ·
The new Titan XD Consumer Reports just reviewed cost them $51,000.
Overall score 48 vs. 77 for F 150 XLT and the Tundra's 66.
No CR road test yet for the RL.

On the Titan, advanced safety features like forward collision warning and auto emergency braking are not available.
The Honda Sensing Safety Package is the main reason I went for the Ridgeline.
And when gas does go back the 25 MPG RLs will become more popular; the 15MPG Titan, not so much.

Reactions: sonicpips
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.