Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious for those of you getting the EASY 20-22 highway numbers if you could post what BRAND of gas you use. Maybe I am using some cheap stuff but it is frustrating to hear such high numbers when I am stuck in the 16 to 17 range.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
dboz said:
I am just curious for those of you getting the EASY 20-22 highway numbers if you could post what BRAND of gas you use. Maybe I am using some cheap stuff but it is frustrating to hear such high numbers when I am stuck in the 16 to 17 range.
Drive with your tach. Watch your shift range, try to shift around 2,500. Anticipate hills and grades to prevent down shifting. No jack rabbit starts! I am running around 18/22 depending on the type driving. I have never used anything put low octane.

·
Registered
578 Posts
brand does not matter, it's all in your driving habits
I average 19.5 in houston traffic commute (40 miles a day). Going to and from dallas to see the in-laws, I do 22-23mpg.

You cannot accelerate aggresively... you have to be gentle with the throttle.

It was a hard transition for me. I am used to driving my S2000 and my wife's RSX-S at the track. But once adjusted I am getting "good" MPG.

·
Registered
876 Posts
dboz said:
I use ARCO fuel, regular; I also make conservative starts (fighting the urge to step on it when the light turns green), try to keep an eye on traffic ahead to avoid too many starts/stops, and don't usually go over about 73 on the freeway. I've averaged just over 20 mpg since I got the truck in June. The tanks that have lower mpg are those in which I've succumbed to the urge to punch it!

L

·
0 Posts
shingles said:
brand does not matter, it's all in your driving habits
I average 19.5 in Houston traffic commute (40 miles a day). Going to and from Dallas to see the in-laws, I do 22-23mpg.
You cannot accelerate aggresively... you have to be gentle with the throttle.
Yup..exactly what I was going to say.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Here's what Honda has to say about fuel for the Ridgeline (taken from the FAQ at Owner Link):

Question: Are some gasolines better than others? What is "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline"?

Answer: In general, Honda recommends that you buy gasoline from high-volume, major name-brand stations.

To prevent the build up of deposits inside your engine and fuel system, it is important to choose fuels that contain effective detergent additives. The detergency of some US gasolines is insufficient to provide protection from such deposits. Honda recommends the use of "Top Tier Detergent Gasolines," where available. Gasoline brands with this designation meet new, voluntary standards and have demonstrated their ability to keep engines clean through a series of demanding tests. Significantly, Top Tier Detergent Gasoline does not contain MMT, a metallic additive that creates deposits in your engine and exhaust system; (see the MMT explanation below). Fuel brands that have achieved the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline designation can be identified through their marketing campaigns, and/or by fueling station signage.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The current Top Tier gasolines are:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey guys and gals.

Remind me to look you up when you're getting ready to sell your Ridgelines......

Why?

Cuz those of you who get over 20 are drivin' em like grandma! Once a week to church and back, nothing over 20 mph........

Where's the fun in THAT!?!?!?

: )

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
dboz said:
25 Year Honda Owner
Drive with your tach. Watch your shift range, try to shift around 2,500. Anticipate hills and grades to prevent down shifting. No jack rabbit starts! I am running around 18/22 depending on the type driving. I have never used anything put low octane.

shingle
Brand does not matter; it's all in your driving habits
You cannot accelerate aggressively... you have to be gentle with the throttle.

These two guys know what's up and how to get the milage. Give it a try for the next few tanks and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Just search "Tier One gasoline" on the net, ridged.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
dboz said:
We live in Chicago and we have horrid winter blend gas.. My mileage went from a steady 18, down to 14. My wifes car went from 28 to 20 mpg. these were from top name dealers so were not quite sure what to do... it's been 2 tanks with no improvement...

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Embo_9 said:
Cuz those of you who get over 20 are drivin' em like grandma! Once a week to church and back, nothing over 20 mph........
The truth of the matter is that I've logged 20-22 MPG while on the interstate, with the Ridge fully loaded (cargo + passengers), running 65-75 MPH, some of it in very hilly (mountainous) terrain, with only 1500 miles on the odometer. Around town, in my normal daily driving environment, I get 13-16 MPG. At this point (5500 miles on the odometer), I've stopped checking the mileage and simply enjoy the drive, which is what I plan to do for several more years. :)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Embo_9 said:
Hey guys and gals.

Remind me to look you up when you're getting ready to sell your Ridgelines......

Why?

Where's the fun in THAT!?!?!?

: )
Not true! This past summer I buzzed down I-65 from Huntsville, AL to the Pensacola, FL exit in the fast lane all the way. Mostly 75/85, my mileage on that tank was 22 mpg. Coming back, there was more traffic and I had to hit 90 a few times to stay with the traffic flow and mileage was reduced to 20 mpg. I am happy with my mileage vs performance.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
25 Year Honda Owner said:
Not true! This past summer I buzzed down I-65 from Huntsville, AL to the Pensacola, FL exit in the fast lane all the way. Mostly 75/85, my mileage on that tank was 22 mpg. Coming back, there was more traffic and I had to hit 90 a few times to stay with the traffic flow and mileage was reduced to 20 mpg. I am happy with my mileage vs performance.
I took 65 from Nashville, TN to Panama City, FL and didn't get anywhere near 22. Seems like it was 19.x. Drove 75 about the whole way.

Only time I ever broke 20 (21.7) was coming through Knoxville on I-40 and traffic was slowed to around 55.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The key isn't how fast you are going, it's how fast you get there, to a point... obviously if you are doing 100mph all the time, the drag will reduce mpg.

when I crusie up to big D, I am average 70-80mph. Not 60 or 65. But the key try to stay at constant speed and if you ahve to speed up, do so slowly. If you make it downshift to 4th or 3rd, you'll eat up more gas.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
shingles said:
The key isn't how fast you are going, it's how fast you get there, to a point... obviously if you are doing 100mph all the time, the drag will reduce mpg.

when I crusie up to big D, I am average 70-80mph. Not 60 or 65. But the key try to stay at constant speed and if you ahve to speed up, do so slowly. If you make it downshift to 4th or 3rd, you'll eat up more gas.
Hey Shingles, You think I can get better gas mileage going from big D down to Houston than from Houston up to big D? Just messing with you. I make the run regularly and usually get right at 19-20mpg at 75-80mph.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Outfitter said:
Hey Shingles, You think I can get better gas mileage going from big D down to Houston than from Houston up to big D? Just messing with you. I make the run regularly and usually get right at 19-20mpg at 75-80mph.
I think you can, after all I get better milage driving from Maine to massachusetts then I do from Mass. to Maine! its all down hill you know!!LOL

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think I posted a long thing about this once before. There are several key factors to gas mileage:
  1. Region - This has to do with terrain, gas formulation (winter/summer), fuel additives, traffic patterns. All of this will have significant impact on your mileage, and there is nothing you can do about any of them.
  2. Acceleration - If you keep your RPMs low while you accelerate you will get better gas mileage in your region than others in your region.
  3. Speed - If you drive closer to 60 than 80 you will get better mileage because the drag on the vehicle increases as the square of your speed.
  4. Distance Per Trip - This may not seem significant but if you don't warm up the engine you will get horrible gas mileage. This doesn't mean leave the engine to idle, it means actually driving. If your trip is less than 10 miles in the summer and 20 in the winter, your mileage will be impacted because the car will not get fully warmed up. This is probably the biggest problem for most people. Also remember for the first 10 to 15 miles you aren't getting peak performance because this is the warmup period.
  5. Foot Weight - Okay this may sound odd, but in almost every vehicle you can get the same speed with your foot resting heavy or light on the pedal. Light weight on the pedal means you are burning less fuel and getting better gas mileage. You may not think you are putting a lot of pressure on the pedal but this is a drive by wire system, you will not get the same tactile feedback you do in other vehicles, try pulling your foot back until you start to lose speed, then press down again just a little bit.

Some people say you will get the best mileage with Cruise. This is true for many people because they can't make the transition to light pedal weight and dealing with road changes ahead of them early. The cruise won't either but it definitely tends to have a light pedal.

None of this means driving like a grandma. I drove from MA to FL doing an average of 70 MPH through most states. I got over 20 mpg most of the way. As was mentioned it isn't all about how fast you are going, but how fast you got going.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts