Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of points first

• Friend wants to buy my 2017 Ridgeline for 25 grand
  • Upset at the features in the 2021 Ridgeline that shoulda been part since the original roll out of the G2 because said features were available in other comparable vehicles
  • Upset at the lack of shifter in the 2021
  • Upset at the lack of modability in the Ridgeline in general
  • Despite my love for the tailgate and the trunk, they're not really enough to trump my beef with Honda

If you have moved away from the Ridgeline but acquired another midsize pick-up truck -- what did you get and why?

I'm kinda curious about the Nissan Frontier, Hyunda Santa Cruz and the upcoming VW Amarok -- but if I needed to buy something right away, I think I'd go with a Taco TRD Sport since they're basically ol' reliable.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you love the tailgate and trunk space and those are the top two reasons for liking the Ridgeline (you didn't mention any other) have you considered going to a full size Ram with the Ram box and now available split tailgate?
Plus probably the smoothest ride in a truck after the Ridgeline or so they say.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
If I had to buy a BoF truck, it would be RAM for full-size, and the new Frontier for mid-size. Only advantage i see to Taco is resale value. It may be reliable, but it seems a lot of people hate the new Taco, especially Taco aficionados, because of very poor drivetrain gearing, howling differentials, and more squeaks and rattles than typical of past Toyotas. It will have the most "mod-ability".

I would watch the Santa Cruz closely. I think the only disadvantage there might be a small bed, but if you can live with that, I think it would be a great vehicle. However, it will probably have even less "mod-ability" than the Ridgeline.

The Amarok will just be a re-badged Ranger. About the only thing it will have going for it is relatively good looks and a fast powertrain, if that matters to you.

Maverick is another option. It will be expensive for its capability, but should have enough Ford fans clamoring over it to give it a bit more "mod-ability" and aftermarket support than the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had a 2008 Nissan Frontier SE, which is the same gen as the 2019. It was as reliable as sunrise everyday, but it is basic. The 3rd gen, from what I've seen, has a new but reliable drivetrain, but overall, it's not a huge change from what was available in the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you love the tailgate and trunk space and those are the top two reasons for liking the Ridgeline (you didn't mention any other) have you considered going to a full size Ram with the Ram box and now available split tailgate?
Plus probably the smoothest ride in a truck after the Ridgeline or so they say.
I hate the knob shifter in the RAM, which is why I didn't get one when I was looking at full size ones as options.

If I had to buy a BoF truck, it would be RAM for full-size, and the new Frontier for mid-size. Only advantage i see to Taco is resale value. It may be reliable, but it seems a lot of people hate the new Taco, especially Taco aficionados, because of very poor drivetrain gearing, howling differentials, and more squeaks and rattles than typical of past Toyotas. It will have the most "mod-ability".

I would watch the Santa Cruz closely. I think the only disadvantage there might be a small bed, but if you can live with that, I think it would be a great vehicle. However, it will probably have even less "mod-ability" than the Ridgeline.

The Amarok will just be a re-badged Ranger. About the only thing it will have going for it is relatively good looks and a fast powertrain, if that matters to you.

Maverick is another option. It will be expensive for its capability, but should have enough Ford fans clamoring over it to give it a bit more "mod-ability" and aftermarket support than the Ridgeline.
Oh, I wasn't aware that the Amarok is a rebadged Ranger -- certainly not a fan of the small engine. As for the Maverick, well... something about it just doesn't really click with me.

And yeah, I dont mind a bed that small in the Santa Cruz, but the lack of mod-ability kind of hampers my enthusiasm for it.

Edit: Forgot to mention... I drive like an old man, so I don't think the Taco gear hunting would annoy me too much. I drive slow enough on highway that I get 27 mpg on the ridgeline

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Oh, I wasn't aware that the Amarok is a rebadged Ranger -- certainly not a fan of the small engine. As for the Maverick, well... something about it just doesn't really click with me.

And yeah, I dont mind a bed that small in the Santa Cruz, but the lack of mod-ability kind of hampers my enthusiasm for it.
The current Amarok is all Volkswagen, but the new 2022 Amarok that will be available in the U.S. will be a re-badged Ranger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's your issue w/Honda?
Well, they should have used a different front fascia than the pilot from the very beginning, but they're finally doing that with the new model, same with the turn indicators mounted on the side view mirrors and the volume knob on the entertainment system -- and they have taken out the shifter and put buttons instead -- for some reason, this pisses me off the most enough not to want a vehicle with push button shifters at all.

I know they're kinda minor, but it's also death by thousand cuts...

Well if customization is what you are really looking for, Jeep Gladiator is the truck for you.
More than actual customization, I want part availability -- like, weathertech never even bothered to make in-channel window visors for the ridgeline, and other things like that -- like because the market was so small for it, not many people bothered to make parts for it.

And even if you had the parts, Honda engineered the truck in such a way that it was a hassle, like... even with the leveling kit, finding the right 265 tire that wont rub is a pain in the ass.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Couple of points first

• Friend wants to buy my 2017 Ridgeline for 25 grand
  • Upset at the features in the 2021 Ridgeline that shoulda been part since the original roll out of the G2 because said features were available in other comparable vehicles
  • Upset at the lack of shifter in the 2021
  • Upset at the lack of modability in the Ridgeline in general
  • Despite my love for the tailgate and the trunk, they're not really enough to trump my beef with Honda

If you have moved away from the Ridgeline but acquired another midsize pick-up truck -- what did you get and why?

I'm kinda curious about the Nissan Frontier, Hyunda Santa Cruz and the upcoming VW Amarok -- but if I needed to buy something right away, I think I'd go with a Taco TRD Sport since they're basically ol' reliable.
You can probably get more from Carvana for your RL, unless you are helping out your friend.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can probably get more from Carvana for your RL, unless you are helping out your friend.
I probably could, but she helped me long ago get a loan with lower interest rates that saved me a couple grand over the long run

·
Registered
408 Posts
-- and they have taken out the shifter and put buttons instead -- for some reason, this pisses me off the most enough not to want a vehicle with push button shifters at all.
With an automatic, I would frankly prefer they go to what was in the G1, a column shifter with more front floor space. In the 2017-2019, you don't do much with the shifter in the RL anyhow. The move to buttons and flappy paddles was a step up.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Edit: Forgot to mention... I drive like an old man, so I don't think the Taco gear hunting would annoy me too much. I drive slow enough on highway that I get 27 mpg on the ridgeline
The gear hunting is more noticeable at slow speeds, 30-40. It can't get out of its own way. And you feel every bump or issue with the road. Plus the sight lines over the hood are horrible. I just traded in my 2016 Taco for a Ridgeline. It's better in every way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The gear hunting is more noticeable at slow speeds, 30-40. It can't get out of its own way. And you feel every bump or issue with the road. Plus the sight lines over the hood are horrible. I just traded in my 2016 Taco for a Ridgeline. It's better in every way.
Interesting.

I just really really hate the push button shifter -- it's just so much of a deal breaker for me. It's why I really can't see myself getting a new one.

Edit: Reading more on it, it seems that the gear hunting can be remedied with OVTuner though.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
With an automatic, I would frankly prefer they go to what was in the G1, a column shifter with more front floor space. In the 2017-2019, you don't do much with the shifter in the RL anyhow. The move to buttons and flappy paddles was a step up.
The column mount makes so much more sense space-wise.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
More than actual customization, I want part availability -- like, weathertech never even bothered to make in-channel window visors for the ridgeline, and other things like that -- like because the market was so small for it, not many people bothered to make parts for it.

And even if you had the parts, Honda engineered the truck in such a way that it was a hassle, like... even with the leveling kit, finding the right 265 tire that wont rub is a pain in the ass.
Got ya. By "issue" I thought you meant they didn't take care of a problem, etc., but now understand that you don't like their Ridgeline product for those reasons.

As someone else mentioned, the ultimate in "modability" is probably the Jeep Gladiator. Given the Jeep culture there will likely be more and more aftermarket options for the Gladiator over time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a '19 Tacoma Offroad with a manual, so the only person I can blame for poor gear choice is myself...

I think the Tacoma is a nice all-around truck particularly if you like to offroad--the Taco OR is the best bang for the buck there IMO.

The ride is trucklike, and it gets pretty poor gas mileage. The tech is decent but not quite up to the RL. You can get certain amenities like leather for cheaper than the RL.

No way would I get a Frontier until after the 2022 redesign is available. I'm skeptical of Nissans in general. I don't think the American midsize trucks compare as well dollar-for-dollar to the Taco, plus less reliability and resale value. And the Gladiator...well it's Ok if you like that kind of thing, but if you like refinement and creature comforts, it's not for you.

I am considering a Ridgeline mainly for the improved ride as a daily driver with a lot of highway miles, and I would think the 9-speed transmission would be a step up as far as automatics go. I think the prices for the higher trims are fairly comparable, except for the loaded Gladiators going way up into the stratosphere.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,708 Posts
The current Amarok is all Volkswagen, but the new 2022 Amarok that will be available in the U.S. will be a re-badged Ranger.

Yes but it won't it also be a re-badged REDESIGNED all new Ranger?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tacoma seating position is a deal breaker for me.
Even with the new adjustable driver seat available since the '20 model? I thought a lot of complaints about the driver seat (which was a reason why I didnt go with the Taco around the time I bought my RL originally) were solved with the new power driver seat

I have a '19 Tacoma Offroad with a manual, so the only person I can blame for poor gear choice is myself...

I think the Tacoma is a nice all-around truck particularly if you like to offroad--the Taco OR is the best bang for the buck there IMO.

The ride is trucklike, and it gets pretty poor gas mileage. The tech is decent but not quite up to the RL. You can get certain amenities like leather for cheaper than the RL.

No way would I get a Frontier until after the 2022 redesign is available. I'm skeptical of Nissans in general. I don't think the American midsize trucks compare as well dollar-for-dollar to the Taco, plus less reliability and resale value. And the Gladiator...well it's Ok if you like that kind of thing, but if you like refinement and creature comforts, it's not for you.

I am considering a Ridgeline mainly for the improved ride as a daily driver with a lot of highway miles, and I would think the 9-speed transmission would be a step up as far as automatics go. I think the prices for the higher trims are fairly comparable, except for the loaded Gladiators going way up into the stratosphere.
I was personally aiming at the TRD Sport, not the OR -- I really don't go off-roading so what's the point of getting the OR trim. The reason why I won't go to the SR5 is because I've been spoiled by the Ridge's push start button.

I've read through the ongoing list of concerns and the back & forth volley, but not understanding some aspects.
What are you trying to accomplish from selling or trading your 2017?
I'm assuming you wouldn't sell to your 2017 to friend if it has problems or is a money-pit.
Apparently used RL's are hot commodities at the moment because my dealer calls almost monthly wanting mine back.
I didn't see any changes worth opening my wallet (example... I can't see the new sheetmetal & cosmetics while driving, 9-speed vs. 6-speed is meaningless to me, mine doesn't die on it's own at traffic lights, and Deep Scarlet Red & not-black interior has grown on me over time).
What's driving your compulsion to move on?
I've been rear-ended twice -- both times the damage was 95% absorbed the trailer hitch but the truck still needed repair (thank you giant ball hitch that I never take off cuz I'm lazy) -- so feeling kinda cursed

My truck is well maintained, and even do the oil changes at 4,000 miles (well below the expected oil change timeframe), but I do them that often because I do a lot of stop and go as my job requires me to travel between schools constantly in city conditions (about 30 miles a day) in a city that sees high temperatures most of the year (we're already hitting 95F as a reference)

It's just that, like I said at first, after being rear-ended again, I got this nagging feeling in the back of my head -- like maybe something is telling me it's time to move on

As previously mentioned, there are a ton of mods for the Jeep.
Couldn't the same be said about the tacos having a lot of mods and aftermarket parts available to choose from?

You're allowed to be shifter picky, no judgement here.

Just pointing out that trying to sell you on something you've already ruled out is probably not going to happen.

You want what you want, and for the price of a truck these days you should get it. I agree....
But there is no perfect truck without compromise either.
I should probably not close my mind to the push button shifter -- I did drive a CRH earlier this year while my truck was in the shop due to faulty injectors, and I found the push button shifter in it so off-putting, hence why i'm reticent of it -- like I'd really need to love the 21 model so much to overcome such a hurdle, you know?

If that's the reason for moving on,, may I suggest you're reading the tea leaves wrong.
Maybe you are blessed that twice you got rear ended, both minor damage and you walked away.
Maybe the Ridgeline and your trailer ball are your saving grace.
Maybe in another vehicle you wouldn't have been so lucky.

Just a half full opposition to your half empty theory.

I should probably not close my mind to the push button shifter -- I did drive a CRH earlier this year while my truck was in the shop due to faulty injectors, and I found the push button shifter in it so off-putting, hence why i'm reticent of it -- like I'd really need to love the 21 model so much to overcome such a hurdle, you know?
To be honest, I hate the push button shifting, and have complained about it several times on this forum, but I don't believe in throwing out the baby with the bath water. I love my truck, although there is a bunch of things I would change. Perfection doesn't exist.

I agree with lack of after market options.
I wish the ground clearance was better.
I wish the gas milage was better.
I hate the shifter buttons.
I wish I had the 2021 front end, but not the radio button and decreased headlamps.
But I love the ride, the trunk, the tailgate, the bed, the width inside.
I love the AWD
It is, like everything else, imperfect, but it works for me.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts