Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just really really hate the push button shifter -- it's just so much of a deal breaker for me. It's why I really can't see myself getting a new one.
Why? I mean, you're just selecting a drive mode.You did the same with the column shifter. Why does it matter if you use a stick or button? At least with the addition of the flappy paddles you have some control over what gear you're in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why? I mean, you're just selecting a drive mode.You did the same with the column shifter. Why does it matter if you use a stick or button? At least with the addition of the flappy paddles you have some control over what gear you're in.
agreed, at first I thought I would hate it, but it hasn't really bothered me. And I'm a huge car enthusiast.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't think you'll change their mind, very particular, ruled out the Ram because of a ball shifter instead of a handle shifter.

Tough customer, who either doesn't like to compromise or just hasn't found anything that will blow them away enough to get them to overlook the small things.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I am considering a Ridgeline mainly for the improved ride as a daily driver with a lot of highway miles, and I would think the 9-speed transmission would be a step up as far as automatics go. I think the prices for the higher trims are fairly comparable, except for the loaded Gladiators going way up into the stratosphere.
For comfort and on-road performance I don't think you can beat it. And the in-bed trunk and two-way tailgate are so real-world usable - so much better than a standard bed. When my 2007 (bought in 2011) was due to be replaced in 2019 we test-drove an F150, and it was very nice and roomy, but my wife said "get what you want, but you'll be miserable with a truck without a trunk", and she was right.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Yes but it won't it also be a re-badged REDESIGNED all new Ranger?
Yes, but it is still a Ford. :p

I've not seen any major advancements in body-on-frame technology over the decades, and if they do happen, it will happen on the full-size trucks first. The full-size trucks ride and handle a little better than several decades ago, but that is low-hanging fruit.

The new Ranger will be a modest evolution of the current Ranger, perhaps ride slightly better with better control, and some newer amenities and features. It will still have the four-cylinder turbo, which the OP does not want.

Ford is not going to put the same development into the Ranger as they do their F150, and you can see how incremental those updates are.

The Amarok will have the same platform, with different sheetmetal, colors and button styles, maybe interior fabric, etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It will still have the four-cylinder turbo, which the OP does not want.

Honestly, I'm more open to accepting a 4-cyl turbo than I am about the shifter -- sorry to all the people here that find my OCD in regards to the shifter weird.

That said, isnt there a rumor that the Amarok might come available with a 6-cyl engine?

·
Registered
697 Posts
You're allowed to be shifter picky, no judgement here.

Just pointing out that trying to sell you on something you've already ruled out is probably not going to happen.

You want what you want, and for the price of a truck these days you should get it. I agree....
But there is no perfect truck without compromise either.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
144 Posts
More than actual customization, I want part availability -- like, weathertech never even bothered to make in-channel window visors for the ridgeline, and other things like that -- like because the market was so small for it, not many people bothered to make parts for it.

And even if you had the parts, Honda engineered the truck in such a way that it was a hassle, like... even with the leveling kit, finding the right 265 tire that wont rub is a pain in the ass.
I hear you on customizing a vehicle! Not a lot available for a Ridgeline, but even less for a Titan! Mine had a column shifter, that blocked the defrost controls when in drive. Plus they had +/- buttons on it for manual gear changes. I'll take the paddle shifters any day. You couldn't put a bull bar on a Titan with the front and rear sensors, unless you moved them and custom mounted them on the bar. More or less if you want something to make your own, it will have to be a "big three" vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went from a Frontier to a 2007 Ridge, to a 2011 Ridge and then a 2017 Ridge.

I sold the 2017 Ridge last July to buy a 2020 Gladiator Overland. Although my Ridges were all 100% reliable, my main reason for the change was that I was bored with Honda and wanted something to "make mine". Plus, I picked up some extra towing capability.

As previously mentioned, there are a ton of mods for the Jeep. Not that I plan anything radical, but I've made a bunch of small changes and mods already and am having a lot of fun with it. I've also never before had a truck that was complimented by so many people- from young men to literally old women. Its been shocking actually.

I must admit I do miss some things from the Ridge. The biggest loss was the storage. The second was the "mindless driving".... the Ridge's steering was like a sports car compared to the Jeep. At first I thought I may have made a mistake, but now I'm absolutely loving the Gladiator.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
126 Posts
Couple of points first

• Friend wants to buy my 2017 Ridgeline for 25 grand
  • Upset at the features in the 2021 Ridgeline that shoulda been part since the original roll out of the G2 because said features were available in other comparable vehicles
  • Upset at the lack of shifter in the 2021
  • Upset at the lack of modability in the Ridgeline in general
  • Despite my love for the tailgate and the trunk, they're not really enough to trump my beef with Honda

If you have moved away from the Ridgeline but acquired another midsize pick-up truck -- what did you get and why?

I'm kinda curious about the Nissan Frontier, Hyunda Santa Cruz and the upcoming VW Amarok -- but if I needed to buy something right away, I think I'd go with a Taco TRD Sport since they're basically ol' reliable.
I've read through the ongoing list of concerns and the back & forth volley, but not understanding some aspects.
What are you trying to accomplish from selling or trading your 2017?
I'm assuming you wouldn't sell to your 2017 to friend if it has problems or is a money-pit.
Apparently used RL's are hot commodities at the moment because my dealer calls almost monthly wanting mine back.
I didn't see any changes worth opening my wallet (example... I can't see the new sheetmetal & cosmetics while driving, 9-speed vs. 6-speed is meaningless to me, mine doesn't die on it's own at traffic lights, and Deep Scarlet Red & not-black interior has grown on me over time).
What's driving your compulsion to move on?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
did the forum eat some of the posts? I was sure I replied to a couple of posts, like @RogerRTS and wanting to move after being rear-ended twice already; @DriveAllNight and how I might be willing to give the push button shifter a try -- it just happens that my first experience with it in a HRV was pretty off-putting and thus soured me to the whole concept; and @2012 Alabaster and how the tacos have also a huge amount of aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've owned the present model Tacoma. If you go from the Ridgeline to it you will regret it just based on daily driving. They ride like a covered wagon and are made for short people.
I agree if ride refinement is important, the Taco is not for you (I have a ‘19 OR with MT). It drives like a truck. That said, most of the time it doesn’t bother me—it actually has a pretty nice ride on the highway, and driving on bad roads like we have around here you want a rugged suspension. But it would be nice at times to have a vehicle that drives like a nice SUV and you can just point and go.

As far as size, it fits me perfectly. Apparently some people don’t like the seats or the seating position. I’m not one of those people. I am probably the kind of person they design seats for. If I didn’t like the way it felt when I sat in it, I wouldn’t buy the vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,700 Posts
Even with the new adjustable driver seat available since the '20 model? I thought a lot of complaints about the driver seat (which was a reason why I didnt go with the Taco around the time I bought my RL originally) were solved with the new power driver seat
New seat / old seat, in the Tacoma you are sitting low with your legs extended out in front of you. . . .Tacoma is designed for ground clearance and this combined with the body on frame design leaves you with a high floor. Areos, aesthetics and functional practicality simply won't allow the roof line to be high enough to allow you sit upright. Tacoma owners might think that the new seat is much better but that is largely because the old seat were so very crappy. You will still feel like you are almost sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
53 Posts
Just to chime in on the ride quality/ seating position debate, I have upper and lower back issues.

One of the things that finally got me out of a much lived Camry was the extended leg seating position putting too much stress on my back.

I don’t mind a truck riding like a truck and was ready to take delivery on a Taco. Fortunately I drove my RL, and realized the Taco was just a tall sled and no matter how much I liked other things about it, it just wouldn’t be comfortable in the long run.

The RL seats even before driving it, and the ride sealed the deal. There is no other truck mid or full sized that can match it.

That comfort, plus all the other nifties, made it so much more compelling than the misses made it passable. I too liked the look of the 21, but not the headlights, want a volume knob, am a bit disappointed in the safety features...but for me, the ride is why I bought a RL without getting a “perfect” truck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Per the first post on this thread, I was always told to never sell a car/truck to a friend or relative. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok -- random question

My current vehicle is an RTL-T -- what am I losing by going to a '21 Ridgeline Sport vis a vis the TRL

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Acoustic windshield
Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Heated side mirrors (if you have AWD)
Power driver's seat
Power passenger's seat
Leather seats
Heated front seats
Sunroof
Sliding rear window