Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am simply wondering for those who have gone to aftermarket head units, have those headunits been able to adjust the subwoofer level separately like the stock headunit. (in my case RTL).

I'm finding that while not phenomenal, the stock stereo is decent. Just wish I had airplay... I have a whole system ready to be installed at Best Buy this weekend, but now I am thinking change the headunit and be done with it.

I was going to have Sirius/XM installed, but I don't want to put another antenna on the vehicle (wish it was in the sharkfin!). I may just use my phone and stream it if I have airplay I figure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was going to have Sirius/XM installed, but I don't want to put another antenna on the vehicle (wish it was in the sharkfin!).
Can you change the shark fin antenna to the one from the higher trims?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you change the shark fin antenna to the one from the higher trims?
It's not that big of a deal, I don't mind the streaming I suppose. Plus, I can just have one XM account between my cars that way.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,240 Posts
I am simply wondering for those who have gone to aftermarket head units, have those headunits been able to adjust the subwoofer level separately like the stock headunit. (in my case RTL).
That's the sort of thing that depends solely on the features of the specific HU you purchase. You've just got to research features carefully, IME reading the model-specific Owner's Manual before purchase is the best way to get assuredly valid info on such controls (OM's can usually be downloaded from Crutchfield or manufacturer websites).

·
Registered
309 Posts
My Kenwood HU has a subwoofer volume control. I have it wired in line level, just I have not installed the SW amp yet. I cannot comment on how well, or if it even works at this point. Once the weather gets better, I hope to make it so.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had a full system put in (I have a thread on all the parts on here in the audio section) and my installer recommended a separate gain control for the sub, which I posted in that same thread. Very nice, it's just a rotary dial. Much faster than going into the menu of the headunit and screwing with all the settings.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a full system put in (I have a thread on all the parts on here in the audio section) and my installer recommended a separate gain control for the sub, which I posted in that same thread. Very nice, it's just a rotary dial. Much faster than going into the menu of the headunit and screwing with all the settings.
Hopefully it is one of those things I set once and forget.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm with you on a good old dedicated analog knob for most convenient tweaking of sub level. Some tunes are just recorded bass-heavy, others beg for a bit more 'thump' ;)

In my Escape install I was driving the sub with a JBL MS-A5001 amp that provided a remote wireless bass control knob. Not a gain control, it acted as a shelf filter that boosted or cut (+/-10dB) below 60Hz but never above 160Hz. Wonderful for tweaking bass as needed for some tracks, the only EQ I ever adjusted on-the-fly after the DSP was tuned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,

Best Buy doing my install today. I really like the installer. He's quite good. We decided to do it in stages. So, put the Kenwood head unit in, and he gave me a call. As expected, it can not control the subwoofer. But, we wanted to give just that a listen without changing anything.

Made the decision that with a little EQ and the better headunit the stock door and tweeter speaker are pretty good, not over the top great but the cost/benefit ratio of going to a mid-level component speaker didn't make sense for me at this point. However, I am going to drop the kicker 8inch sub in the stock box, run a mono-amp to that to give me a bit better sub, and the ability to change the level (in the menu, I don't want to install the knob).

I almost didn't do anything... but man after trying apple car play, had to have it!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As long as you're happy that's all that matters! (y)

Enjoy your first step, a phased approach is common and cool, the expanding 'honey trap' of audio mods can be fun and rewarding IME or you can stop at any point where you're satisfied, no worries :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I know about upgrading. My 2 channel system at home is where I have a pretty healthy investment.

I will have to disconnect the Active Noise Cancellation I suspect. I hope I don't notice it a louder ride. It's such a nice quiet vehicle. That said, 98% of the time I have the radio on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have an an alpine 445 amp in mine. front 2 channels control the front component, and the rear of the amp controls the OEM sub. i use my pioneer radio sub settings to change sub level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts