Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USA Today, "in a move that sometimes spells sales trouble, Ford has started offering discounts of up to $10,479 its most important vehicle, the F-150 pickup."

"The discounting is unusual because the highly revised 2015 F-150 is relatively new in the market. The current version has an aluminum body to save weight, and thus fuel. Not only is the F-150 the nation's best-selling vehicle, but it is also considered one of the most profitable, at least compared to cars."

Taking a page right out of the AAPL playbook, Ford officials have blamed tight supplies for sales droop, but analysts aren't so sure. "The truck hasn’t sold up to expectations for the most part,” Akshay Anand, an analyst at auto researcher Kelley Blue Book, said in an e-mail. “This may be a hint that in certain parts of the country, the issue might just be more than supply."

..Bloomberg notes, "F-Series sales fell 2.4 percent in the first half and have dented Ford’s earnings.

·
Administrator
17,318 Posts
Seems like I casually read something a while back that alluded to Ford selling the absolutely minimum number of F-150s they needed to sell, but it was not the runaway success they had hoped it would be. Perhaps some "real" men buying "real" trucks are putting aluminum exterior panels in the same category as unit bodies, transversely mounted engines, and front wheel drive. :) This was indeed a bold move for Ford, but they had to know it was a gamble. I'm guessing real world fuel economy gains would have to be very significant to offset the negative attitudes towards aluminum panels.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'd prefer not to buy a truck at this time, I'm enjoying no truck payments. If discounts rise close to 15K by October I could be persuaded to buy a new F150.

I could care less about steel vs aluminium body panels.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
From what I gathered from Automotive News, Detroit News, and Detroit Free Press, the $10K discounts are only for:

- F150 SuperCab (extended cab)
- XLT trim level
- 4x4
- 2.7L Ecoboost engine
- Lux chrome or sport packages
- Limited geographic markets.

MSRP on the truck is about $42.5K.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
From what I gathered from Automotive News, Detroit News, and Detroit Free Press, the $10K discounts are only for:

- XLT trim level
- 4x4
- 2.7L Ecoboost engine

I'd take that in a full size.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
the gas prices are around 4$ a gallon.
I filled up diesel at 2.95

·
Registered
579 Posts
Regular in KC is $2.55 and diesel is $2.54

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tempting but still not that tempting on a 45k+ truck. Now if that was across the board on all models, engines and I could be looking at a 30-35k truck with 10k in incentives I would possibly jump on that.

·
Super Moderator
5,575 Posts
I'd take that in a full size.
Pretty close MSRP to a loaded Ridgeline, IMHO. If I could get $10,000 off a Ridgeline 2 it would be in my garage as soon as it hit the lot.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yes. California is not the center of the universe though.
no S**t.
just saying the if someone is spending 45k f150, maybe the diesel option isn't that bad on the eco diesel.
Yes I also know that ram isn't offering 10k off sticker.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
He's in Palm Springs, that's gotta be why. $2.56 here in St. Louis after a recent 15 cent drop.
And it's not a P.S. thing, Diesel is $2.83 cash $2.89 credit, 87 Octane E-10 Gas is $3.79.
Welcome to California.

·
Registered
110 Posts
And it's not a P.S. thing, Diesel is $2.83 cash $2.89 credit, 87 Octane E-10 Gas is $3.79.
Welcome to California.
Wow! I filled up in Central Mississippi yesterday for $2.26 credit.

As much crap as Mississippi gets nationally, that is one positive thing we have going for us... cheap gas!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

- XLT trim level
- 4x4
- 2.7L Ecoboost engine

They probably overestimated buyer response to that particular configuration. My guess is that full crew cabs, even with short boxes, are now so popular that mere extended cabs just don't sell as well. I'd certainly not buy a SuperCab when a SuperCrew version exists.

·
Administrator
17,318 Posts
They probably overestimated buyer response to that particular configuration. My guess is that full crew cabs, even with short boxes, are now so popular that mere extended cabs just don't sell as well. I'd certainly not buy a SuperCab when a SuperCrew version exists.
I concur. Crew cabs are so common these days that extended cabs now appear awkward and regular cabs are positioned primarily as price leaders or fleet delivery vehicles.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Yes. California is not the center of the universe though.
No it isn't, but when it comes to trends in the automotive industry it has been a big factor since the 50's. I think more people could relate to driving on Highway 1 overlooking the Pacific than cruising in a Chrysler 300 in downtown Detroit. Not to mention 'car model names' and the largest design centers are in CA.

On the downside, it is one of the most expensive places to own a car, despite the relatively even climate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts