Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the Ranger needs a smaller brother?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts

Would be nice for the RL to have some competition in the unibody truck space
Looks like there is competition coming from Hyundai as well.

I think Honda benefits by segmentation of the market and competing in a focused SUT/Crossover truck market.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reusing the name of "Maverick" for the new Ford pickup? How embarrassing! What will be next, a Pinto pickup! I am thinking that "Ranchero" would be a far more fitting name, at least it was a pickup in it's former life? :rolleyes:

Current concept pictures are making the Maverick looking like a made over 2-door Ridgeline? Imitation is the best form of flattery! (y)

Kidding aside, a one-piece-body pickup, outside of the Ranchero, has once before graced the Ford lineup: Looking Back: 1961-63 Ford F-100, though, it had several issues.

Bill

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think Honda benefits by segmentation of the market and competing in a focused SUT/Crossover truck market.
I think Honda benefits but we don't. The Ridgeline appeals to such a small portion of the truck market there is no need to keep it competitive.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It's been a while since something smaller than a current midsize has been on the market. It will be interesting to see how the market responds. In those Maverick spy shots it sure looks like a Bronco Sport front end to me. I really loved my 93 Ranger and would like to get back to something basic, cheaper and smaller (provided I can fit) and have less purpose as it won't be used much. Just need something basic with a bed and get another vehicle for everything else that matters.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The Ridgeline has gotten too expensive - I never paid over $28K for etiher of my RTLs.
I hope the 4 door Maverick is smaller then the Ridgeline. It might be my next vehicle if it is.
Honda Quality no longer is important - only profits.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
The Ridgeline has gotten too expensive - I never paid over $28K for etiher of my RTLs.
I hope the 4 door Maverick is smaller then the Ridgeline. It might be my next vehicle if it is.
Honda Quality no longer is important - only profits.
In 2006, the Ridgeline's MSRP ranged from $28,320 to $35,910. Adjusted for inflation, that's the equivalent of $36,214 to $45,920. Today, the Ridgeline's MSRP ranges from $34,995 to $44,615 for vehicle that is better in virtually every way...except for reliability.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Many already complain that the mid-size crew cabs are a bit tight. I don't see how a "compact" truck will work in today's truck market. Ford may want to fill the gap by leaning this toward being a work truck. But the primary duty of a truck is to carry rear passengers in real life actual use.

FCA is correct in a strange way. Ram Classic (old Ram) fills the role of the mid-size truck. The working guy need the space to do work. 3-4 feet truck bed box is useless.

Subaru Brat make sense because all I can carry is 4 bags of potting soil. That's all the work I want to do. But I would need to go with a bigger truck to carry my 70" TV from Costco.

Therefore, I still see RL as the "perfect" size for this segment of customer.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The working guy need the space to do work. 3-4 feet truck bed box is useless.
You'd think Ford would've learned from its Explorer SportTrac misfire - I think that bed was about 4ft.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In 2006, the Ridgeline's MSRP ranged from $28,320 to $35,910. Adjusted for inflation, that's the equivalent of $36,214 to $45,920. Today, the Ridgeline's MSRP ranges from $34,995 to $44,615 for vehicle that is better in virtually every way...except for reliability.
I agree with you on the pricing. The RL seems to be a lot of vehicle for $40K (2020 E models). I came out of a GMC Envoy that was right at $40K way back in 2003.

On the reliability issue, I've got my fingers crossed that I have a good service life with my first Honda automobile. But.................. I also bought the extended warranty based on comments and information from this website. I have never bought an extended warranty on any type of car, electronic, appliance, etc., and have never had an issue. The sheer amount of technology in an RL, however, made me realize that nearly any type of repair to any one of the safety / comfort / driving systems would not be cheap.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sure,but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Sure,but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
One of my primary reasons for buying Hondas was reliability. Once of my primary reasons for buying Ridgelines was versatility. If you take away reliability, there's less reason to buy a Ridgeline and even less reason to buy a Honda. So, I'd have to say I was pretty disappointed with the play. :)

Sincerely,
Mrs. Lincoln

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Many already complain that the mid-size crew cabs are a bit tight. I don't see how a "compact" truck will work in today's truck market. Ford may want to fill the gap by leaning this toward being a work truck. But the primary duty of a truck is to carry rear passengers in real life actual use.

FCA is correct in a strange way. Ram Classic (old Ram) fills the role of the mid-size truck. The working guy need the space to do work. 3-4 feet truck bed box is useless.

Subaru Brat make sense because all I can carry is 4 bags of potting soil. That's all the work I want to do. But I would need to go with a bigger truck to carry my 70" TV from Costco.

Therefore, I still see RL as the "perfect" size for this segment of customer.
I think they should go single cab, with enough space behind the seat so you can tilt the seat back a little and/or throw a couple tool bags behind the seat. Make the bed 6.5", nearly 8' with tailgate down.

They could offer accessory bins, shelves or hooks that could attach to the cab behind the seat. The fleet and work guys would eat it up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I worked at valet airport parking as a teen in the '70s and enjoyed driving the 4-speed Pintos!

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
I owned a 1977 Pinto Wagon with the 2.3liter engine with a stick. It was terrible. One day i had to drive to Johnstown over the mountain. By the top of the hill i was at 50mph and if that had been taller I would've had to push it over the top. It was horrible. Shortly after that I quit that job.

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts