Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
355 Posts
When I had my Titan, a true 4x4 truck, I had to get a king cab to have a 6"6" bed. It would easily go a lot farther off road than any Ridgeline, simply because of ground clearance. It had decent room up front, but not much in the rear. Gas mileage wasn't horrible, but 20 was about the max I ever achieved, going real slow (55mph) I wanted another Titan with a crew cab, but only 5'6" beds were available, so I thought, I may as well get a small truck. I looked at what was available, and the new Frontier specs, and noticed the Ridgeline. I like it a lot, plenty of truck, for what I do, is it a off road vehicle--simple answer --NO, and all the stickers in the world won't make it one.

I dislike Ford products, I've been in a couple of the plants, as well as Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, BOC (Buick, Olds & Cadillac) and let's just say the Japanese have a much better work ethic. When I heard about the Maverick I was interested, until I read about a CVT tranny, but the higher up model does have a real conventional drivetrain, but none have a transfer case with low range. That alone tells you it isn't really intended for off road either.

The Santa Cruz "off road" video is a joke, nothing but dirt and very smooth. I've seen rally cars (myself) go through a lot more challenging terrain, in a strip mine in southern Ohio going a little over 90 MPH-in the dark, 2:00 in the morning. Audi Quattro's, Subaru WRX, and even a RX7 4x4. I was running "sweep" in my Jeep CJ5, and couldn't even begin to go half as fast as the cars were, and they had no more ground clearance than us.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
355 Posts
Ford is making sure they don’t. They even stamp it on the sides of the dash to make it perfectly clear that it is nothing less than a pint-sized, real truck. There is a reason why Ford has been the king of pickups for 40+ years running. And the Lightening and Maverick prove that they really do listen to their consumers.

I agree, iit will be all good for the consumer.
View attachment 414295
This makes it a tougher truck? Why not "man-up" and put it on the tailgate where you could see it? Get a Raptor, they are Tough!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I worked at gas stations for years and the funniest moment was a guy came in to put cash on a pump, tells me the pump number, I look outside to verify his vehicle, he drove a 90s chevy single cab 1500
I ask "is it the small white truck?"
He replies: "it's not small it's full sized"
Me: "Oh"

Ever since that encounter I have wanted a small or midsized truck
When I park my Ridgeline next to my coworkers‘ 90s Chevy 1500 or another's 2000s F150 it is nearly the same size except for height of the roofline. Full-size trucks have gotten a bit out of hand.
From an actual truck driver.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The CNET article makes a great point. It’s amazing that you can now get a useful truck with a functional bed with better city fuel economy than an economy car and equivalent or lower price to a civic. That’s just awesome from any perspective.

As you load it up the value proposition gets more fuzzy for me but I think it would be an enjoyable little truck. Ford has done some impressive product planning. I will keep enjoying my RL, at least until my Lightning reservation number gets called then decision time.

I had a 2000 Explorer that was an enjoyable ride when it wasn’t in for the 7 recalls when I owned it. My SVT Focus was one of my all time favourite cars and never had a problem. My local Ford dealership actually gave great service, maybe because we saw each other so often.

I’m a Honda fan but gotta give credit here to Ford, I think Maverick and Lightning are terrific launches. Bring the new generation Ranger with a hybrid or EV version and I’d probably buy one tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Saw a couple of videos of the new Maverick. Its nice to see a true compact pickup be introduced back onto our market but all I can think of is that it looks like a Nissan Cube Pickup.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I think it's all about marketing and "confuse and conquer." They've already gotten a ton of mileage about that 20k starting price so mission accomplished.
No different than what they just did with the “lightning”. “Starts at” yet consumers won’t be able to buy a stripper version. You nailed it, marketing, marketing, marketing. Most people are stupid and fall for marketing, akin to a crack head having a glass pipe, you can count on it. I tried my first domestic purchase, ever, in my lifetime prior to the Ridgeline. And it was a Ford, and I can honestly say I will never buy another vehicle from Ford as long as I live. I’ll stick to the Japanese, made here or in Japan.

The Maverick will be a great truck for landscapers, folks who run independent lawn businesses, fleet trucks that need to carry tools, etc. What it won’t be is what the Ridgeline is, not the cab, not the AWD system, ride, etc. The Ridgeline is more of a luxury vehicle in this segment. It also does a nice line between something like this Maverick and a full size. You are getting the benefits and losing little and by that I mean what studies show people actually do with their trucks, not the commercials. Full size trucks are popular, and the F150 outsells any vehicle in NA, due to one thing that you nailed, marketing. “Did you see the commercial, it can tow a plane!” Or “Did you see the Raptor commercial, you can jump it off sand dunes!”. Not many buyers buy things for actual intended designed use. They buy with emotion, or status. I cannot honestly count how many trucks here are used for trucky things. 90% will never see dirt, never tow, or have a bed full of anything. The minority of buyers are going to buy for actual use case scenarios. Weigh the pros and cons, and go with the best thing for their uses. The majority are going to buy for other reasons, marketing, hype, status, etc.

It is a crazy market.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
89 Posts
No different than what they just did with the “lightning”. “Starts at” yet consumers won’t be able to buy a stripper version. You nailed it, marketing, marketing, marketing. Most people are stupid and fall for marketing, akin to a crack head having a glass pipe, you can count on it. I tried my first domestic purchase, ever, in my lifetime prior to the Ridgeline. And it was a Ford, and I can honestly say I will never buy another vehicle from Ford as long as I live. I’ll stick to the Japanese, made here or in Japan.

The Maverick will be a great truck for landscapers, folks who run independent lawn businesses, fleet trucks that need to carry tools, etc. What it won’t be is what the Ridgeline is, not the cab, not the AWD system, ride, etc. The Ridgeline is more of a luxury vehicle in this segment. It also does a nice line between something like this Maverick and a full size. You are getting the benefits and losing little and by that I mean what studies show people actually do with their trucks, not the commercials. Full size trucks are popular, and the F150 outsells any vehicle in NA, due to one thing that you nailed, marketing. “Did you see the commercial, it can tow a plane!” Or “Did you see the Raptor commercial, you can jump it off sand dunes!”. Not many buyers buy things for actual intended designed use. They buy with emotion, or status. I cannot honestly count how many trucks here are used for trucky things. 90% will never see dirt, never tow, or have a bed full of anything. The minority of buyers are going to buy for actual use case scenarios. Weigh the pros and cons, and go with the best thing for their uses. The majority are going to buy for other reasons, marketing, hype, status, etc.

It is a crazy market.

One of the things that irks me in Phoenix is how many lifted trucks there are and how little actual off road action they get, and how pristine they keep the paint jobs, no chips, scratches or dings, and not a spec of dirt anywhere near the wheels.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
One of the things that irks me in Phoenix is how many lifted trucks there are and how little actual off road action they get, and how pristine they keep the paint jobs, no chips, scratches or dings, and not a spec of dirt anywhere near the wheels.
It’s the same in the Truck state of Tejas. It’s truck land. The only trucks I ever see towing anything are clapped out 20 year old full sizes by immigrant workers. The bed is sagging down to the ground with a trailer, stuff like that. And on the holidays those with boats. Outside of those scenarios, 90+%, I never see anything in the bed, not towing, zero zilch nada. I mean take 100 trucks, and you’ll be at a single digit on truck stuff.

At work the parking garage is loaded with them. I talked to one guy, and he didn’t want to admit it…but he got the new Dodge Ram because of the Ipad in it. I’m like wow. 50k for a screen? I’d just buy an IPad Pro, with a mount on an existing vehicle and be done with it. Price? $1,000 instead of $50,000. He lives in a townhome and doesn’t tow, and cites the stuff he “carries” that would fit in a hatchback. Another guy runs a Silverado and complains at work when fuel prices are above three bucks a gallon. He lives, I think, 50 miles from work. One day he complained once too often so I grabbed a calculator, you know a manual one, and a piece of paper and a pen. I pulled up a Honda Fit on my PC, ran the numbers and he’d been better off owning 2 vehicles. Fit for a commuter, and a truck for the weekends. The truck, obviously the much more expensive vehicle, would last 4X as long with a second car, a commuter designed for the specific purpose he was using it for. His response was something like “Oh I couldn’t be seen in that!”. I rolled my eyes.

We just live in a society that has been indoctrinated with marketing, image and fame. Image since a child had their first thoughts they can remember. People have been programmed that they are their vehicle, their bank account, their khakis to kind of quote Fight Club. Image, image, image. Why you care what strangers think about what you do with your own hard earned money escapes me. “Society“ is largely fake. 90% of people I know make their decisions based on it. It’s just a sad reality. A great example, and I don’t mean to offend anyone here….is a an obese woman. She has that $150 haircut, colored and all that, I mean on the reg. Mani/pedi on the reg, yet she is obese. Not a few pounds over weight, obese. You’d think ok with that hair cut etc, you obviously care about your image so why aren’t you eating right, hitting the gym or exercising, and lean and mean? Because society and marketing says it’s ok to be fat, celebrate the largeness. Reality is that will kill you and take many many years off your life. These days + size models is a thing, and we’re all supposed to accept it. I don’t have children but if I did, I’d be teaching them that is utter bull. Be healthy, stay engaged in a sport, exercise, and eat right so you’ll live longer and healthier and if that doesn’t work for them, I’d explain healthy means less needles, doctor visits and scripts. Society says different. Buy that full size truck because it can tow military aircraft. Get that double patty burger meal. YOU DESERVE IT! You either get marketing and advertising and see right through the fake-ness of it all, or you don’t. It really is a red or blue pill thing from the film. I don’t think I have ever seen a better analogy in media in my life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I decided a few months ago to get a ridgeline. Just waiting for the right time later this summer. When the Maverick was announced I was initially excited but a few things changed my mind and im pretty firmly back on my Ridgeline plan.

1. the interior of the maverick is a little ostentatious. I’m not old - but I’m not young either - the interior has a few things I like (the very squared off almost Jeep like dash) but in the end it all just looks kind of like a circus inside. All the orange bits, etc. My 9 year old loves it. I hate the “built Ford tough” stamp inside the door.

2. The back seat looks tiny. There are also apparently no rear air vents (yikes)

3. I find the in bed trunk and the swing out tail gate to be very compelling features of the RL and would miss those.

4. The exterior styling is a little bland imo

5. Cheap materials? The interior materials while fun, look cheap. The plastic around the bed rail looks REALLY cheap.

—-

Some things I really like about the Maverick
  • some of the tie down options in the bed
  • there are DIY power ports in the bed where you can wire up anything you want (that’s cool)
  • optional bed power on the lower trim levels

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes - my BIL's F150 has a board slot that keeps objects from sliding, while I have to utilize creative bunjeeing techniques in my RL bed. Weird how the bed/trunk/tailgate was obviously so well designed...and yet no board slot.
This is pretty simple and straightforward

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
89 Posts
It’s the same in the Truck state of Tejas. It’s truck land. The only trucks I ever see towing anything are clapped out 20 year old full sizes by immigrant workers. The bed is sagging down to the ground with a trailer, stuff like that.
I saw one of these this morning, it was a chevy half ton and it was towing a flatbed trailer with pallets of cinderblocks on it, his back was probably 5" lower than his front and he was so slow at stopping and speeding up he was backing up traffic for the whole freeway, meanwhile I pass no fewer than 10 full ton trucks who could have towed it easily with nothing in them and half of them didnt even have a trailer hitch installed... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
214 Posts
It’s the same in the Truck state of Tejas. It’s truck land. The only trucks I ever see towing anything are clapped out 20 year old full sizes by immigrant workers. The bed is sagging down to the ground with a trailer, stuff like that. And on the holidays those with boats. Outside of those scenarios, 90+%, I never see anything in the bed, not towing, zero zilch nada. I mean take 100 trucks, and you’ll be at a single digit on truck stuff.

At work the parking garage is loaded with them. I talked to one guy, and he didn’t want to admit it…but he got the new Dodge Ram because of the Ipad in it. I’m like wow. 50k for a screen? I’d just buy an IPad Pro, with a mount on an existing vehicle and be done with it. Price? $1,000 instead of $50,000. He lives in a townhome and doesn’t tow, and cites the stuff he “carries” that would fit in a hatchback. Another guy runs a Silverado and complains at work when fuel prices are above three bucks a gallon. He lives, I think, 50 miles from work. One day he complained once too often so I grabbed a calculator, you know a manual one, and a piece of paper and a pen. I pulled up a Honda Fit on my PC, ran the numbers and he’d been better off owning 2 vehicles. Fit for a commuter, and a truck for the weekends. The truck, obviously the much more expensive vehicle, would last 4X as long with a second car, a commuter designed for the specific purpose he was using it for. His response was something like “Oh I couldn’t be seen in that!”. I rolled my eyes.

We just live in a society that has been indoctrinated with marketing, image and fame. Image since a child had their first thoughts they can remember. People have been programmed that they are their vehicle, their bank account, their khakis to kind of quote Fight Club. Image, image, image. Why you care what strangers think about what you do with your own hard earned money escapes me. “Society“ is largely fake. 90% of people I know make their decisions based on it. It’s just a sad reality. A great example, and I don’t mean to offend anyone here….is a an obese woman. She has that $150 haircut, colored and all that, I mean on the reg. Mani/pedi on the reg, yet she is obese. Not a few pounds over weight, obese. You’d think ok with that hair cut etc, you obviously care about your image so why aren’t you eating right, hitting the gym or exercising, and lean and mean? Because society and marketing says it’s ok to be fat, celebrate the largeness. Reality is that will kill you and take many many years off your life. These days + size models is a thing, and we’re all supposed to accept it. I don’t have children but if I did, I’d be teaching them that is utter bull. Be healthy, stay engaged in a sport, exercise, and eat right so you’ll live longer and healthier and if that doesn’t work for them, I’d explain healthy means less needles, doctor visits and scripts. Society says different. Buy that full size truck because it can tow military aircraft. Get that double patty burger meal. YOU DESERVE IT! You either get marketing and advertising and see right through the fake-ness of it all, or you don’t. It really is a red or blue pill thing from the film. I don’t think I have ever seen a better analogy in media in my life.
Lots of Ridgeys in my area. Most driven by old farts. In fact, never once seen one with anything in the bed or towing anything. Isn't stereotyping fun!

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
89 Posts
Lots of Ridgeys in my area. Most driven by old farts. In fact, never once seen one with anything in the bed or towing anything. Isn't stereotyping fun!
Which isn't a stereotype at all, ridgelines are not marketed as work trucks, and we are all saying most truck drivers don't use their truck for truck things, at least ridgeline owners admit they don't need a full size truck to do the job of a midsize or smaller and that the Ridgeline is not meant to be a work truck, it never was

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,328 Posts
My brother just purchased a $40+K Ford Transit 4x4 van that he converted to a nice overlanding vehicle. There are a few issues he needs taken care of by the Ford dealership, and they won't return his calls, or set him up with an appointment. He wanted to put solar panels on the roof for his Bluetti portable power battery. There are mounting places for the solar panels, with nuts being welded in the proper places in the roof frame. The problem was that the holes in the sheet metal (covered by stickers) did not even remotely line up with the nuts. He ended up drilling another hole in the top of the van. That should not happen. I was wondering if the Maverick will suffer similar quality issues.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
355 Posts
I wouldn't even consider a model over a Sport, features--yes, but looks ---NO!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
355 Posts
Honda is steadily weeding out younger Ridgeline buyers each year.

The 2017 Ridgeline started at $30,415. The 2021 Ridgeline starts at $37,665.
I agree, but my 83 year old father just bought a 7.3 L Super Duty for only $75K, it gets a whopping 12 MPG, and has been to the dealer 3 times now in four months. He's fortunate that he is retired, and doesn't need to drive it everyday, it's for towing a trailer. My parents saw my new Ridgeline a couple of weeks ago, and even took a "test drive" in it, both were impressed, to the point they might even get one! For daily driving, it couldn't even begin to pull his trailer (LOL).

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,749 Posts
I would speculate that more than half of the 1/2 ton / midsize truck owners don't really need a truck. . .The Ridgeline is by far the best truck for people who don't really need a truck!

181 - 200 of 214 Posts