Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
292 Posts
Honda is steadily weeding out younger Ridgeline buyers each year.

The 2017 Ridgeline started at $30,415. The 2021 Ridgeline starts at $37,665.
This is one reason i hope the maverick does moderately well and why i will probably go with the Santa cruz as my next truck, i am getting priced out of ridgelines, I'm 30 and i could afford a newer truck but i am trying to save up for my dream car and a house to store it. After I can secure those i would be willing to look at new trucks but if honda continues this trend i will probably not be looking for a RL

·
Administrator
19,639 Posts
Other than pulling a gigantic trailer, they don't need a truck. A 33' Airstream isn't Ridgeline friendly.
Tell that to this 2008 Odyssey that successfully pulled a 34', 7,500-lb, triple-axle Airstream for years with no problems. :)

The owner, Andreas Duess, used the Odyssey to pull the "mobile home" for three years before selling it in good condition and buying a Durango. He was active on AirForums.com as of 2017.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,227 Posts
I would speculate that more than half of the 1/2 ton / midsize truck owners don't really need a truck. . .The Ridgeline is by far the best truck for people who don't really need a truck!
And yet, I bought the Ridgeline specifically because I needed a truck but didn't want a truck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Which isn't a stereotype at all, ridgelines are not marketed as work trucks, and we are all saying most truck drivers don't use their truck for truck things, at least ridgeline owners admit they don't need a full size truck to do the job of a midsize or smaller and that the Ridgeline is not meant to be a work truck, it never was
You're so right! They're now marketed as adventure vehicles! Haven't seen any Ridgelines, ever, on any trails I've been on. Nor have I seen one with a canoe or dirt bikes. In fact, in my area I would be shocked if most Ridgeline owners are physically capable of taking a canoe on the water. Furthermore, my point was that I've never seen a Ridgeline tow or have anything in the bed. Wait, mine has a couple of times. So to your point, why do these people have a truck? A Ridgeline is a truck, right? Fact of the matter, most people don't NEED trucks. They WANT them for convenience. Ridgeline owners are included in that demographic. Don't kid yourself.

99.9% of the population NEED nothing more than a $5k Civic hatch.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,227 Posts
You're so right! They're now marketed as adventure vehicles! Haven't seen any Ridgelines, ever, on any trails I've been on. Nor have I seen one with a canoe or dirt bikes. In fact, in my area I would be shocked if most Ridgeline owners are physically capable of taking a canoe on the water. Furthermore, my point was that I've never seen a Ridgeline tow or have anything in the bed. Wait, mine has a couple of times. So to your point, why do these people have a truck? A Ridgeline is a truck, right? Fact of the matter, most people don't NEED trucks. They WANT them for convenience. Ridgeline owners are included in that demographic. Don't kid yourself.

I guess it depends on where you draw the line between want and need.

In the last year, I've hauled several loads (several cubic yards) of compost, topsoil, plenty of bags of stuff, a dishwasher, a washing machine, an 85-gallon water heater, old appliances to the dump, three other overfull loads to the dump, many recycling runs with trunk full and bed mostly full, plywood, bunch of 2x4s, couple loads of sod just the other night, several loads of branches, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Yes, I could have done some of those things with a Civic hatchback, but some would require a trailer. I don't really have room to store a trailer and I doubt the Civic is rated to tow one anyway (I did have a hitch on my Accord and towed a 4x8 trailer with it for a number of years, but it maxes at 1000lbs).

Rent a truck? Nearest rental is over 70 miles away. I guess I could beg/borrow a truck from a friend (i have done this in the past), but what if they're not one of the 0.1% that needs a truck? Then I have to coordinate a time to borrow the truck, use it for the timely need I have for it, and return it and decide how much $, gas or beer I want to donate for borrowing it.

BTDT too many times. It's way worth it for me to have a truck for all of those chores. My MPG is 2/3rds what it was with the Accord, it's not nearly as sporty to drive, but serves so many more needs.

And the dog loves it.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
292 Posts

you seem to know an awful lot about strangers driving habits and abilities, are you a wizard?

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
497 Posts
I have to have a truck, we have horses. I haul feed, bedding and a few weeks back, towed a couple of trips with my trailer to get 140 bales of hay. One average hay wagon will hold about 140 bales by itself, my trailer isn't that big, just 6' X 14' but I made two trips with 70 bales a load. The bales were around 50lbs a piece so we had 3500lbs + about 800lbs for the trailer, yes I could feel a big difference driving, but I took my time, turned ECO off, and had no problems at all. I don't think a Maverick would do as well as my Ridgeline did, I don't like going to the max on anything towing. The key here is you have to be able to STOP!!! I towed a full hay wagon once with my Ram 1500, 140 bales BUT it was alfalfa hay, very dense and heavy, at least 70lbs a bale, I could barely get it slowed down on a hill-it was scary to say the least.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
All the scenarios used to justify the Ridgeline apply to the Maverick too so, it's just a question of where the buyer draws the line on price, size, truck stats and upscale features. However, I don't see anything mentioned about the width of the RL and how much bigger it must be inside. I haven't seen any crash data or headlight data on the Maverick yet. These articles comparing unit body trucks don't do the Ridgeline any favors it makes the gap seem smaller than it is. Why not mention the Colorado and Ranger? When playing with the configurator, a mid level Maverick with AWD turbo comes in about 8-10k cheaper than an RTL. This may be worth it for some. I'd like to see the data of where the RL sales are coming from and if Sports and RTL's increased while the E's and BE's decreased. Is it the new front end bringing in first time RL buyers, is it current RL owners trading for the new front end, is it Covid pent up demand? I don't think we'll really know until the market returns to normal but by then the RL should be at the end of its cycle.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

I tow every weekend from May until November. The Ridgeline is my toy hauler. Motorcycles and my PWC. The PWC is large and heavy and a Civic wouldn’t cut it and the Civic couldn’t tow the motorcycle trailer either. It also wouldn’t work for all the crap that gets thrown in the bed.

His point was correct however. Most Ridgeline owners are not under any delusions it’s a 4X4 Jeep with 33’s nor capable of pulling a 10k pound load. And I guess you aren’t seeing it. The full size trucks are monstrosities now to the point of being ridiculous. I don’t give a damn what strangers do with their money but the biggest a hole drivers there are, here, on the roads are full size SUV And truck drivers. My goodness they think it’s their world and everyone else is living in it. If I had a dollar for every full size truck bogarting the fast lane, being fast lane cop doing 55 mph, impeding traffic my house would be paid off. Many of us are just much more realistic about this segment. I detest full size trucks for a number of reasons. BOF POS handling for one, the mass and weight, and I’m a motorcyclist and they are the biggest pains in the A to see around, and sometimes get around when the drivers of said vehicles are bogarting.

You mention trails. What working stiff, blue or white collar, is going to take their 40=75k truck down trails? Trails come with expense of scratches, scuffs, paint and body damage. I’ve ridden trails plenty and I don’t see any full size truck owners there either. I’m on a MX, the perfect vehicle for such things. Also a 4 wheeler or ATV is ideal, a full size truck is not. But the nice vehicle you drive to work or making big payments on, you’re going to subject it to “OFFROAD!!!!”, nah. i know guys heavy into trail work. They all own Jeeps or older Tacomas, heavily modified and they don’t care about scratches, scuffs, and damage. The full size truck marketing, etc, is just over the top ridiculous.

As a RL owner, home owner, avid motorcyclist and PWC rider, well if I didn’t have to tow I wouldn’t own it. It got bought because the towing capacity exceeds my needs now and will tow the 21’ 212 wake boat I will buy in the future. It’s also the perfect “truck” for hauling motorcycles to the track or throwing a MX bike in the back. Also, if it was not AWD it would not have been bought, same if it was a BOF. I would have pivoted and bought a van as I test drove a few. I think what myself and others are trying to tell you is that we didn’t buy the thing to “front”. It’s almost the polar opposite of the entire truck industry and thank God for that. It’s a multi-use vehicle that can double for a luxury car on the inside. It’s also got a more advanced AWD system than anything Subaru makes so makes for one of the best rain/snow/inclement weather vehicles made, period. I drove every truck on the market low end to high end, and nothing out there handles like the Ridgeline. I’m still amazed they put a torque vectoring AWD system on it.

Jacked up lift kitted 4X4’s that are spotless with no tow hitch are right up there with slammed Civics, with coffee can exhaust and neon lights underneath them. In fact I view either as the same thing. All hat and no cattle.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Jacked up lift kitted 4X4’s that are spotless with no tow hitch are right up there with slammed Civics, with coffee can exhaust and neon lights underneath them. In fact I view either as the same thing. All hat and no cattle.
Spot on!!

For the record, I have nothing against anyone who drives or wants to drive a big brodozier truck. If you have the money...spend it. Do what you wanna do. But don't go around saying, "that ain't a real truck"

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline BE-White
45 Posts
I traded in an F-250 for the RL...mostly b/c of the stupid prices dealers are paying for used diesel trucks.

I'll buy another one too. Had the RL been able to tow 7k reliably, I'd feel more comfortable using it to tow my 8.5' x 20' enclosed trailer. The good news is I don't tow it very often and decided to keep it parked for a little while. I'd downsize trailers to a 7' x 16' trailer....but I'm not sure the RL is really the right vehicle for a trailer that size either. To me its RL or diesel HD truck. I'm not interested in much in between.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think being lost in a lot of the spec wars is the interior back seat. I needed room for two rear facing car seats and a full size human - the Ridgeline was the only midsize that could do it comfortably. Others required specific car seats that are made to be extremely narrow or something like that. I didn't want a Ridgeline at first, it was literally the last truck I looked at, but there's nothing else on the market that offers the combo of things that the Ridgeline does (I dont need to lay all those out again for this audience). That specific cocktail of variables is different for everyone. I think the Maverick is awesome, I'd gladly sacrifice performance for MPG these days, but the reality is that I have a family that needs to fit in the backseat for years to come. I wanted the Tacoma to work, I wanted the Ranger to work. But when it came down to it, the Ridgeline was just exactly what I needed and then some. I think the Maverick will seriously eat into midsize sales, I think it will absolutely force Honda to think about their offerings (mainly Ridgeline) more critically, and through all that I'll still be happy with my truck because I did the research and I bought the right vehicle for me and my family.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would speculate that more than half of the 1/2 ton / midsize truck owners don't really need a truck. . .The Ridgeline is by far the best truck for people who don't really need a truck!
LOL…they should use that for marketing!

We drove our Ridgie 400 miles up to MN with a small camper for camping, with bikes in the truck bed. Fit very well with no wheels hanging over the back. According to girlfriend, who towed the camper, “I didn’t even know it was there.” (Quite a change from how much she complained about the Tacoma…)

Then we drove the Ridgie with 3 people all over SE MN going to antique stores, etc. 25+ MPG, smooth ride, super comfortable.

And this morning I took it out fly fishing. Didn’t have to go offroad, in fact just parked on the side of the road. Went fishing (didn’t catch a thing…did the fish get notice that I was coming?), threw the wet waders and boots in the bed, and drove back to camp.

Now that is the demographic for the Ridgeline. Every other truck out there, IMO, can do maybe 2 out of 3 of the above tasks, but none except the Ridgie can do them all with excellent ride quality and comfort and reasonable gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Lots of Ridgeys in my area. Most driven by old farts. In fact, never once seen one with anything in the bed or towing anything. Isn't stereotyping fun!
I'm sure many do more with their Ridgelines than I do....but mine gets used a fair amount.

Reactions: CNC1

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
497 Posts
The Ridgeline bed is 64” not 5 feet. That’s vs 54“ for the Maverick. That extra 10 inches is a big deal for hauling a lot of things. Bicycles, for instance—will not fit in the Mav bed using fork mounts unless the tailgate is down.
Good catch, most buyers won't notice this, and Ford has enough money to "influence" specs.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
292 Posts
Good catch, most buyers won't notice this, and Ford has enough money to "influence" specs.
I was parked next to a brand new F-150 in my parking garage and I noticed that while the ford was certainly larger, I was curious how much more actual interior space it had, the current 21 RL has 109 cubic feet of passenger space, but I could not find that metric for the F150, instead i found stuff like "Front head room" and "Front leg room"

Does anyone know how they calculate cargo space, or have that spec on hand for bigger trucks? I am really curious to see how much more room a "Full Size" truck has over our "Not a real truck"

EDIT: Or does anyone know exactly how they take the measurements like "Front head room" and "second row shoulder room" so i can do them myself and compare?

201 - 220 of 231 Posts