Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
321 - 340 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It's sad but I think dealers have the right to add market adjustments to stuff on the lot. I blame the folks for paying this 2k or 3k on a Maverick which is a big percentage of MSRP for a minimal vehicle at that. It's all going to cycle through but consumers IMO will be paying more for autos going forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you live in the Midwest, check out Granger motors. I ordered a Mav yesterday at below MSRP. Granger is a few miles NW of Des Moines. Nice folks. I listed an 06 Accord and my 09 Ridgeline for high private party yesterday on FB and sold the Accord at 8 this morning. The responses to the Ridgeline were numerous. I'll have no trouble selling it in the spring. The Maverick will do most everything the Ridgeline can do and get the same mpg's as the Accord.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It's sad but I think dealers have the right to add market adjustments to stuff on the lot. I blame the folks for paying this 2k or 3k on a Maverick which is a big percentage of MSRP for a minimal vehicle at that. It's all going to cycle through but consumers IMO will be paying more for autos going forward.
The market is the market - supply and demand generally determine price. Whether we like it or not, that's the law of the jungle/what ultimately happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yikes, no wonder why I hate dealerships. I almost purchased my RL from a DCH chain store they had the best OTD prices even with the add ons.. It's getting to the point where you need legal representation to buy a car these days, just like a house. It just shows how reviews are all that's cared about and there's fake reviews and internet trickery going on behind the scenes to get the desired outcome.

When the supply shortage settles out if the days are gone of negotiating down inventory on the lot, I hope a new model emerges where you are dealing with the manufacturer directly and dealers are just delivery and warranty repair places. I've already learned that relationships and being a repeat buyer mean zip.
I agree completely. Loyalty only works in one direction.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Most definitely, but I can find a vehicle to travel from point A to point B somewhere from someone that won't take more of my money than I would ordinarily want to give them.
Absolutely, and if enough consumers do this the suppliers will ultimately respond with improved behavior or go broke. Great point.

·
Registered
514 Posts
From the MaverickTruckClub website...........There is one guy who ordered a Mav (being built a few weeks from now) and got tired of waiting when he found a nearly identical vehicle sitting on a dealer's lot so he jumped on it. The ordered truck he was going to get? That dealer will not take anything from anyone over the phone to buy it or hold it. He wants to "be fair to their local customers". I interpret that to mean......."I'm going to use this situation to my advantage and mark this up by 2000, 3000 or $5000, knowing people WILL pay this".

The guy I mentioned who found his truck on the lot paid $2000 over MSRP. The entire process Ford is using turns me off and their dealers are even worse.
Our local Ford dealer in South Central PA has been like that pre-covid/pre-reservations on anything interesting that hits their lot. Unless it is some garden variety Escape or F-150 work truck they will play games. The ones 10-20 miles away is almost as bad.

Actually most of the dealers up here regardless of make are like that because the supply and demand dictates it. They are mostly low volume dealers and they don't get the allocations. They exasperate that by making screwy deals that forces people to go elsewhere. The local Honda dealer was still doing mandatory $400 pinstripe packages until a few years ago. I guess whatever works for them.

Going over the border to MD or VA is really our only way to get a normal deal.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ford's stock was in the 5's in the spring of 2020, now it's in the 15's. I think the days of big rebates and large inventories are over with this new CEO and probably industry wide as well. I just don't see how the average buyer can afford to lease or buy a 50k truck with little discounting.
Agree - if all of them constrict supply they can make just as much profit from fewer cars sold.

Wages usually follow inflation over time. 50K will be the new 30k in the near future.

I know a guy with an 96 mo 4.8% loan on his new RAM 2500. Can't imagine an 8 year loan on a car, but his credit union had no problems giving it to him.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,573 Posts
Agree - if all of them constrict supply they can make just as much profit from fewer cars sold.

Wages usually follow inflation over time. 50K will be the new 30k in the near future.

I know a guy with an 96 mo 4.8% loan on his new RAM 2500. Can't imagine an 8 year loan on a car, but his credit union had no problems giving it to him.
I did 72 months, but only because it was 0.9%. My 401k had a 35% gain over the last year, so I'd rather put the extra money into that instead of paying off the truck early.

That being said, I'd have a hard time going past 48 months if it was 4.8%.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I did 72 months, but only because it was 0.9%. My 401k had a 35% gain over the last year, so I'd rather put the extra money into that instead of paying off the truck early.

I had a .9 in 2013 for 5 years - a far cry from the 8% for 5 years that I was paying back in 2006!

He was adamant that his payment was to be under $1000/mo but when I pointed out that he is going to spend 16k on interest he started the process to finance it for a shorter term at lower interest.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My local CU in western NC said 4% up to 84 months and 5-something beyond 85 months. If paying a car loan for that long folks should really re-think things........a lot of things maybe.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,573 Posts
My local CU in western NC said 4% up to 84 months and 5-something beyond 85 months. If paying a car loan for that long folks should really re-think things........a lot of things maybe.
I remember always hearing that 4% was break-even, 3% or lower and you're doing good and 5% you're starting to lose too much.

Of course, that was 20 years ago, and things have changed a little bit since then, but those are still the numbers I generally go by.

It gets a little trickier when you start weighing options of borrowed money vs mutual fund earnings. Rates of return have typically exceeded 7%, but that is not guaranteed. If you talk in terms of 48 months or even 84 months, that's really not a long time in the investment game.

I remember in the 90s, my little brother took out a loan and invested it all into (Bloomberg, I think?) stocks, paid off the loan with the money he made and still had a good profit. That's pretty risky business, though...

Edjt: it was the Janus fund he was invested in in the 90s.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
413 Posts
First one I've seen in the wild. The guy driving it said it was the first one that arrived at the dealer in Stockton. I didn't expect it to be so small.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

321 - 340 of 392 Posts