Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
361 - 380 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had one on order, a pretty blue Hybrid XLT. With the 360 package and the XLT luxury package it came to about 26k and out the door at about 28.3. I would have gotten the truck at MSRP when it came in, which probably would have been around April or May next year.

I did get to see one in the flesh but did not get a test drive since it was already sold. Only the 2.0 turbos are coming in right now, the Hybrids wont start to be released till maybe December for the early orders. The truck is a nice size if you aren't looking for something to haul wood large stuff on a regular basis. I'm 5'7" and I could see over the top of the cab, can't do that on the RL. Interior isnt bad, they were creative in how they used mostly hard plastics for all the surfaces though I'm not sure it was my cup of tea. The bed is shorter than the RL as well and narrower, but if you need to you can haul 4x8 sheets propped up on the top of the fender wells and the tilted up tailgate. It can haul 1500 in the bed and tow 2k, even the hybrid. I was fine with those numbers. The price and versatility and the design will pull lots of folks in, esp those that wouldn't have considered a truck.

But in the end, I just didn't have a warm fuzzy for a first year new model. And I'm not a Ford guy, really more of a Toyota fan, but my wife has had Acuras for quite a while, so thats the Honda connection. And my first bike was a Honda so there's that too.

Most of the reports I read online are positive, but maybe that is just the honeymoon mindset with folks that got a hard to get new truck ahead of everybody else. I did see a few reviews of people complaining about some build quality issues, but I think it will take a year or so before the real reliability is known.

I'm really happy with the Ridgeline, it was what I wanted all along. Yeah its more expensive but it's much more truck. And the Ford dealer didnt have any problem giving me my deposit back, they will get a hybrid to sell (dealers cant order them for stock right now) and they are charging 5k over msrp. I even thought about keeping the order, buying the truck and then flipping it, but just decided to keep things simple.

View attachment 419491

View attachment 419492

View attachment 419493
That interior reminds me of the Tacoma. “The 70’s called, they want their truck interior back…” LOL…

That’s probably OK in a cheap truck, but it doesn’t compare to the Ridgeline. It’s 90’s styling at least.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
892 Posts
A Ridgeline IS a cheap truck now days, have you ever priced a large truck? Granted they are in a different class, with more towing, and other B/S people may or may not need, but $60K to $90K+ isn't very hard to achieve.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
A Ridgeline IS a cheap truck now days, have you ever priced a large truck? Granted they are in a different class, with more towing, and other B/S people may or may not need, but $60K to $90K+ isn't very hard to achieve.
This is true. When I bought mine I test drove every mid-size and just about every full-size. To get the features I have in my Ridgeline would've cost me at least 15K more in a full-size and then I would have to deal with the cumbersome size of the vehicle. I already deal with the hassle of driving a large vehicle at work I do not desire to do it on my time off.
The other mid-sizes were similarly priced or more when equipped similarly but too small on the inside.
A Maverick may have actually been on my list if they were available when I bought my Ridgeline despite its smaller outside initial impressions is that it may have decent interior room.
where Ford may have a leg up on Honda and Hyundai is that there will be a cheap stripper model, at least once the market calms down and the mark-ups end. That base trim will not only attract those who just need cheap, reliable transport but also fleet sales.
Imagine being a business owner who needs small service trucks and being able to get a cheap pickup that also get 40+mpg? Controlling costs is paramount to survival. The Maverick would definitely be on the short list.

199 Posts
I drove a Maverick, liked it a lot, PLACED AN ORDER. It's like a 3/4 scale Ridgeline, smaller in every dimension, certainly not in the same class, but it is a fun to drive return to the 'mini truck' days of my youth and Ford will sell every unit they can make for the next several years.

It will not replace my Ridgeline, instead it will replace my old Dakota which is our 'beater' run around town and surfing and camping truck. The bigger Ridgeline will handle most of our towing duties still and longer road trips.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yep. I priced out a Ranger, Tacoma, and a Canyon with all the options the Ridgeline Sport has and they were all $40k+...if they even had the options...for example...the Canyon didn't come with keyless start when I was looking. The Ranger only had keyless start in the top level Lariat.

I paid a tick over $28,000 for my 2019 Ridgeline Sport and a little over $34,000 for my 2021 Sport. That's a great value considering what you get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After owning 3 RL's, I got a Maverick. Really wanted a Ridgeline but couldn't justify the price difference and the fuel costs. Other than price/mpg, the RL does everything a bit better than the Maverick. The problem is the mpg ends up being $1500 more/year and the purchase price is $34K vs $52K. (Canada) This is not even including 5 yr financing costs. If someone would cover the cost/fuel difference, I'd gladly take a RL. If I'm paying for it, I'm more than happy with the Maverick.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
70 Posts
We looked at a Maverick yesterday and can't say we were overly impressed. Sharp interior edges with a hard touch, small back seat for our dog, small bed... and no in bed trunk! We are also big fans of the fairly flat floor in the Ridgeline with the back seats up. To us, it didn't make sense to swap our current setup of Ridgeline and Forester with Ridgeline and Maverick. But for the price (if only supply would return to pre-pandemic levels), I can see how the Maverick is fairly compelling to some. Our local dealer was asking for 5k over MSRP on the sticker...

·
Registered
928 Posts
After owning 3 RL's, I got a Maverick. Really wanted a Ridgeline but couldn't justify the price difference and the fuel costs. Other than price/mpg, the RL does everything a bit better than the Maverick. The problem is the mpg ends up being $1500 more/year and the purchase price is $34K vs $52K. (Canada) This is not even including 5 yr financing costs. If someone would cover the cost/fuel difference, I'd gladly take a RL. If I'm paying for it, I'm more than happy with the Maverick.
Congrats on your new Maverick!

But I have to say, the Ridgeline does almost everything a lot more than 'a bit better' than the Maverick, except gas milage, which is why there is a cost difference. I could list features all day long starting with the AWD system and ending with the tailgate and trunk, but you've owned Ridgelines, so you know the list is huge.

I totally understand not wanting to spend more money if you can get something for less that will suit your needs, but to be fair, that's like comparing the Ridgeline to a F150 Tremor. The price difference doesn't make sense if all you need is a bed in the back, but there are huge differences.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. What is the difference in the MPG between it and the RL? I know the hybrid is quite a bit better than the turbo 4 but those arent out till probably next year some time.

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
The Maverick is Ford's lowest-priced, entry-level vehicle no matter how it's equipped or how much it sells for. I prefer something more substantial, comfortable, and useful. The Maverick's interior is too small and low-cost to me and a few of the Ridgeline's core values (trunk, tailgate, and composite bed) are absent.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Maverick is certainly about price and because it has a bed it will come up in Ridgeline discussions. Most of the debate items supporting the RL vs. body on frame transfer case trucks hold true for the Maverick as well. The question is how much size do you need? No different than choosing between getting a CRV or a Pilot but in this case Ford provides a really low price of admission where Honda does not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It may be a super cheap truck but for 500 bucks you can add 360 Copilot and it'll drive better than the ridgeline on it's own all day long. The tech in it is amazing compared to what we get for a 40+k truck.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,574 Posts
Think I'd wait a couple years to comment on ongoing Maverick expenses. If the Maverick lives up to the Escape's reputation, long-term ownership may end up costing a little more than a Ridgeline.

Maybe Ford has improved on the platform, since they have a lot at stake here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
-lifetime 17mpg with my 07 and 09. gen2 did 21mpg. Maverick is at 26mpg. (awd/turbo)
-everyone has a different perspective. for me, spending $54K plus vs $34K was pretty straightforward. Everybody can spend their $$ however they choose, depending on their priorities. The counter points of view on the Maverick vs Ridgeline are similar to the nonsense I used to get from my full sizer friends re. Ridgeline vs Silverado, F150, etc. It's too small, not a real truck, blah blah. To each their own.
-the hybrid was my 1st choice, it's just not available yet. I needed a truck ASAP.
-when I priced it out, comparably equipped, (xlt with luxury package), Maverick was about $9K less than the Ridgeline, I think.
-wife was pushing hard for the Ridgeline all along. conversation ended pretty quickly when I asked her if she'd be covering the $cost difference. funny how that works.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well, guys, I've got a Maverick Lariat hybrid on order. My beloved '06 Ridgeline met an untimely end back in January 2020 and was totaled. The money has been sitting in the bank ever since. Been driving a '97 Camry that was passed from my mom to me to two of my kids and then back to me. I've been working from home for the last year-and-a-half and haven't really had a need to replace my Ridgeline.

I was planning on getting another Ridgeline eventually, but the 42 city MPG and lower cost (about $8000 less as outfitted) made me pull the trigger on the Maverick. We'll see how it works out, but since I'll be working from home permanently now instead of making a 50 mile round-trip commute each day, I'll only rack up about 7000 miles a year on the Maverick and it won't be a primary vehicle like my Ridgeline was in it's early years, so I probably won't hit 100k miles for 10 years or more.

Just like the Ridgeline fit my needs at the time and was all the truck I needed, so is the Maverick now. If after a few years of experience with it I decide I the Ridgeline will be a better fit, then I'll trade up and return to the fold.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,913 Posts
-lifetime 17mpg with my 07 and 09. gen2 did 21mpg. Maverick is at 26mpg. (awd/turbo)
-everyone has a different perspective. for me, spending $54K plus vs $34K was pretty straightforward. Everybody can spend their $$ however they choose, depending on their priorities. The counter points of view on the Maverick vs Ridgeline are similar to the nonsense I used to get from my full sizer friends re. Ridgeline vs Silverado, F150, etc. It's too small, not a real truck, blah blah. To each their own.
-the hybrid was my 1st choice, it's just not available yet. I needed a truck ASAP.
-when I priced it out, comparably equipped, (xlt with luxury package), Maverick was about $9K less than the Ridgeline, I think.
-wife was pushing hard for the Ridgeline all along. conversation ended pretty quickly when I asked her if she'd be covering the $cost difference. funny how that works.
Yep everone's needs are different. If a compact truck works for you then certainly the Maverick is an option worth considering. . . . For a trip vehicle for a family of 3-4 (in my case a family of 3 with a 100+lb dog its just TOO small. For hauling the shorter narrower bed is big enough for some tasks but no where near as useful for hauling 4x8 building materials and of course there is no dual action tailgate or LARGE trunk. These features are HUGE for my personal needs and the needs of many truck buyers.
In a nutshell the Maverick is a compact truck while the Ridgeline is a large midsize truck. They aren't in the same size class and that can make all the difference in functionality.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
892 Posts
Well, guys, I've got a Maverick Lariat hybrid on order. My beloved '06 Ridgeline met an untimely end back in January 2020 and was totaled. The money has been sitting in the bank ever since. Been driving a '97 Camry that was passed from my mom to me to two of my kids and then back to me. I've been working from home for the last year-and-a-half and haven't really had a need to replace my Ridgeline.

I was planning on getting another Ridgeline eventually, but the 42 city MPG and lower cost (about $8000 less as outfitted) made me pull the trigger on the Maverick. We'll see how it works out, but since I'll be working from home permanently now instead of making a 50 mile round-trip commute each day, I'll only rack up about 7000 miles a year on the Maverick and it won't be a primary vehicle like my Ridgeline was in it's early years, so I probably won't hit 100k miles for 10 years or more.

Just like the Ridgeline fit my needs at the time and was all the truck I needed, so is the Maverick now. If after a few years of experience with it I decide I the Ridgeline will be a better fit, then I'll trade up and return to the fold.
Keep us posted. I wouldn't even look at one, myself. A Ridgeline is about as small as I can go-physically.

·
Registered
2021 RTL Pewter
147 Posts
I’m sorry but the Maverick is just too small. I was following one today and I just couldn’t get past the smallness of it. The bed, the height, you name it it just looked elfish in size and stature.

361 - 380 of 392 Posts