Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's the latest. 4 foot bed kind of ruins it. If it's offered in a smaller cab with a larger bed and has a low price this could be something. Most of the arguments favoring the Ridgeline would hold for the Maverick and it could be I'd say 10-15k cheaper. If it's all the truck you need it could find a niche. The Maverick is more along the lines of what the former Ranger owners are looking for. My problem with the Ridgeline ended up being the rear seat room so I'd rather have a bigger bed. and less to no rear rear passenger room. This vehicle cold be a great solution for those that just need a bed for low cost second vehicle.
MSRP in the marketplace tell us a lot, but IRL street price often throw that out the window.

Just an example.

You can get $11-14K off MSRP on a full-size truck.
You can get $2-3K off MSRP on a mid-size truck.

Discount on this may be $750 in incentives.

So actual transaction price may be "the same" when you sign at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,697 Posts
The development time for the Ford seem quick. Whereas Hyundai seem to be taking a long time.

Either the Hyundai is going to be really good, or Ford just know what they are doing? Then again, unibody trucks are new to Ford too.
I think Hyundai had a lot of "off again, on again" going on. Every time Hyundai USA got ready to develop the truck, Hyundai Corporate would put the brakes on it.

Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect Hyundai may have been hoping for a Trans-Pacific Partnership that would allow them to circumvent the Chicken Tax, but that deal fell through in 2017-8. I also think they were nervous with the last Administration.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How do you like the Ridgeline so far, especially vs. the Ranger? Any regrets?

I meant to drive a Ranger for comparison before purchasing my second RL in 2019, but didn't quite get there. I drove an F150 - very nice, but too big for our needs - and was about to ask for keys to a Ranger, but my wife was with me and said "let's face it - you're never going to be happy with a truck without a trunk", lol. Went over to the Honda dealer a couple blocks away and got serious.
Love the Ridgeline so far. I have almost 400 miles on it after 2.5 days of ownership. Love the handing, maneuverability, love the acceleration. The ride quality is much improved over the Ranger too - the Ranger could be very bouncy. I definitely felt all of those 28,600 miles I drove.

The things I miss about my Ranger so far are: Blind spot detection, beeping/sensors when getting close to object parking and backing up, the audio system (solely due to the fact the Ranger did not fade/dampen songs).

Every vehicle has it trade offs. I personally did not feel the RTL offered anything more I needed that the Sport. I don't regret my choice. I had the trade and cash to buy the truck outright. I did not want to finance any money for the truck so the RTL-E and the Black Edition were out for me.

·
Banned
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
365 Posts
Reusing the name of "Maverick" for the new Ford pickup? How embarrassing! What will be next, a Pinto pickup! I am thinking that "Ranchero" would be a far more fitting name, at least it was a pickup in it's former life? :rolleyes:

Current concept pictures are making the Maverick looking like a made over 2-door Ridgeline? Imitation is the best form of flattery! (y)

Kidding aside, a one-piece-body pickup, outside of the Ranchero, has once before graced the Ford lineup: Looking Back: 1961-63 Ford F-100, though, it had several issues.

Bill
GAWD! I remember driving one of these trucks, I am getting as 'old as dirt' I guess!

·
Banned
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
365 Posts
Looks like there is competition coming from Hyundai as well.

I think Honda benefits by segmentation of the market and competing in a focused SUT/Crossover truck market.
This machine looks to have real merit, espy with its price tag and the makers reputation for good autos/

·
Registered
315 Posts
Kind of a shame that the bean counters can't justify a 6 foot bed without a crew cab in one of these smaller trucks.
Bean counters aren’t driving sales. The consumer is. The consumer has spoken. Such a small percentage of the population wants a 6’ bed and no crew cab. This has nothing to do with bean counters. Try harder next time.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Bean counters aren’t driving sales. The consumer is. The consumer has spoken. Such a small percentage of the population wants a 6’ bed and no crew cab. This has nothing to do with bean counters. Try harder next time.
Hey Sherlock, no kidding. Sorry it wasn't phrased in a way for you to easily understand. Apologies, I'll try harder so you don't have to.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Indeed, this will be the 'truck to watch' in the coming few years. Hey Ho "Zroger73" you seem to have a 'feel' for the probable dimensions- what does that knowledge tell you as to size?

·
Administrator
21,091 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to the Escape nor have I had the opportunity to sample a Bronco Sport since my auto reviewing activities have been on a pandemic-related hiatus. From what I've seen and the rumors I've heard, I think I'd still prefer a Ridgeline over the Maverick based on my expectations for size, performance, features, safety, interior quality, etc. That's certainly subject to change, though!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I get why we are talking about "truck stuff" with the Mav. Does it really matter? These are the same discussions with the Ridgeline. Every single guy I know with trucks, full size trucks, $60K FX4 twin egoboost trucks, and none of them do truck stuff, or touch dirt.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can't wait until the "truck guys" measure the Maverick against all these unrealistic expectations that the Ridgeline gets held to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I get why we are talking about "truck stuff" with the Mav. Does it really matter? These are the same discussions with the Ridgeline. Every single guy I know with trucks, full size trucks, $60K FX4 twin egoboost trucks, and none of them do truck stuff, or touch dirt.
Because this is what the truckbros go on about incessantly when the topic of the Ridgeline comes up in the comments section of the automags, etc. They hold the Ridgeline to some high standard that it "doesn't come with a low range gearbox" like guys in F150 Crew Cabs are hitting the 4LO button daily or something. Statistically nobody is taking their $70,000cdn crew cab pickup off-road. Or even a Tacoma for that matter, but here we are.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,697 Posts
I can't wait until the "truck guys" measure the Maverick against all these unrealistic expectations that the Ridgeline gets held to.
At the very least, the Maverick will have all of the Blue Oval boys cheering it on. The GM/RAM boys will give it the full Ridgeline treatment, though, at least until they get theirs.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
With the Ridgeline being like 85% of an F150 in terms of size, comparisons about unit body and transverse mounted drive trains will be about all the RL and Maverick have in common. I think they are much further apart than an F150 to F250. Where the midsizers should be concerned is if the Maverick is all the truck you need before going to a midsize. Price will have a lot to do with all of this If a minimal midsize work truck trim can be had for 25k. Where is it going to start with the Maverick? My guess is that since it will be a crew cab at minimum probably close to 25k. Some say that it will be 20k but some have said that the minimum price for the Bronco Sport is too high for that to happen.

41 - 60 of 397 Posts