Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 140 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Big Brother struck again. My thread from today was combined with one from 10 months ago. I guess that we're all not smart enough...

·
Administrator
19,659 Posts
Big Brother struck again. My thread from today was combined with one from 10 months ago. I guess that we're all not smart enough...
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you started a new thread with this post - the subject of which was the same as that of this ongoing discussion that began ten months ago. :) How many separate threads do we need on a vehicle that is not the primary topic of this forum? :)

Might I suggest the following forum?

Regarding the "Big Brother" comment, instead of publicly attacking the moderators and administrators who volunteer several hours of their valuable time each and every day to keep this forum as organized, clean, and helpful as reasonably possible, I suggest expressing your concern in a private conversation to avoid these public confrontations.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think looking at an angle from the front that this looks a little like a Gen 1 Ridgeline. :)

They'll sell lots of these. Too bad no AWD with hybrid.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your comparisons are all over the place.

Why wouldn't the Maverick be all but as quick as the Bronco Sport with the same drivetrain configurations - especially since the Maverick is only 31 - 50lbs heavier on the 2.0 trim? Why wouldn't the FX4 be just as capable offroad as a Badlands Bronco Sport with the same equipment (other than breakover and rear overhang which is the same as any truck/SUV comparison)

200 inches is not huge - thats 8 more than an Accord, 10 fewer than a RL or midsize, 2 feet shorter than a full size. Yes the Bronco sport is only 172" long - it also (depending on trim) has less than 30cu ft of cargo space behind the second row. Everything that can go in the Maverick bed cannot go in a Bronco Sport, especially if you have more than two passengers. You say the Maverick's bed is useless because you have to tie down 2x4s, yet throwing large/bulky/heavy items on the roof of an SUV or removing the seats in a minivan is a somehow a better solution? Are you going to pull the magical Odyssey up to the landscape supply and have them dump a bucketload of mulch through the sunroof?

The interior passenger dimensions are identical to the Bronco Sport and except for shoulder room (which obviously is narrower because the truck is) within an 1" of the Ridgeline and in some cases larger. The bed is only 10 inches shorter and judging from the pictures may be deeper, meaning a taller tailgate might make up some of that when it is down. It has a longer wheelbase than the RL despite its shorter length and weighs 700lbs less and in base trim gets almost double the MPG. I would say that is a good packaging effort.

In the winter I carry wet shovels, ice melt and snowblowers, in the spring and fall it is mulch and trees and flowers, in the summer it is gas cans and lawnmowers and weedwackers to take care of my house and other properties. Any time I need materials from the HD or Lowes I can grab them without issue. When we vacation the RL is a comfortable and efficient road trip car to make the 8 hour drive, then turns into the official carrier of 5 other families worth of stinky wet sandy crap to and from the beach each day.

I'm not going to subject the interior of any car to the smells and dirt of all of that when I can just hose off the bed of Ridgeline in about 5 minutes.

There is no reason why the Maverick wouldn't be just as adept at any of that (in some ways better since the side liftover height looks is even lower and if their way of carrying 4x8 material is practical)

Some people have more use for a small open bed than a 3rd row / big trunk otherwise Honda wouldn't sell any Ridgelines at all when there are Passports, Pilots, and Odysseys to be had.

BRAVO!! You get it my friend!

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
297 Posts
I like the trend of going smaller and more economical its why i like the RL over other midsize trucks, the US companies made all the "Midsize" trucks bigger and its annoys me to the point i might go with a Santa cruz as my next truck, I like the small footprint with some good all around utility and i really like hyundais for reliability and safety these days, but i have to admit if GM comes out with a unibody midsize truck i might have a serious dilemma on my hands

I read that the SC will be able to tow 5K with the biggest engine option, that is what really has me tempted, along with potential price

if anything i hope these trucks will push Honda a little, i feel like the RL has just been so much better than any midsize truck in the last 13 years that honda has not felt the need to improve the RL as much as i would like.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
159 Posts
the moderators and administrators who volunteer several hours of their valuable time each and every day to keep this forum as organized, clean, and helpful as reasonably possible
I would not be part of this forum very long if it were not for our moderators...it's a peaceful respite from the other chaos known as social media!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you started a new thread with this post - the subject of which was the same as that of this ongoing discussion that began ten months ago. :) How many separate threads do we need on a vehicle that is not the primary topic of this forum? :)

Regarding the "Big Brother" comment, instead of publicly attacking the moderators and administrators who volunteer several hours of their valuable time each and every day to keep this forum as organized, clean, and helpful as reasonably possible, I suggest expressing your concern in a private conversation to avoid these public confrontations.
I was wondering what Ridgeline G2 owners thought of the new Maverick specs press release, which just happened. The vehicles are direct competitors now. A Maverick thread from 10 months ago isn't really relevant.

I apologize if I offended with the comment. "Other Cars Trucks and Bikes" does seem like a more appropriate forum. I disagree with combining old threads however.

·
Administrator
19,659 Posts
I was wondering what Ridgeline G2 owners thought of the new Maverick specs press release, which just happened. The vehicles are direct competitors now.
Despite both being unibody vehicles with open beds, the sizes and capabilities between the Maverick and Ridgeline differ considerably more than vehicles in the same class.

The Maverick would more closely compete against a CR-V-based truck.

Comparing a Maverick to Ridgeline is like comparing the Ridgeline to an F-150. ;)

The Santa Fe is more of a Ridgeline competitor than the Maverick, yet even it falls short (pun intended) of the Ridgeline in terms of bed length, tailgate flexibility, and trunk space.

It's interesting to me that even after 15 years, no automaker has yet to build a better Ridgeline. Ford and Hyundai are well aware of the Ridgeline, but neither chose to include a large trunk, dual-hinged tailgate, or at least match the Ridgeline's bed length. Does their market research show that people don't actually care about these things? Are they afraid they'll be ridiculed for copying a "minivan with a bed" too closely?

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
498 Posts
I was wondering what Ridgeline G2 owners thought of the new Maverick specs press release, which just happened. The vehicles are direct competitors now. A Maverick thread from 10 months ago isn't really relevant.
I am not interested in anything made by Ford, even with two local plants in Louisville. I've heard plenty of "horror" stories about very expensive trucks being less than perfect, and a lot of messed up corporate hiring practices for new "temporary " employees at a far lower wage than the union people. I was burnt by Ford on two previous cars, and won't go back. Direct competitor? with a smaller bed, and lower towing capacity, less horsepower, this is a competitor? No thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Lunar Silver Sport
9 Posts
Not bad, although I'm not sure about the interior especially the inside of the front doors and the angled slab of gray on the dash. They also mention the 4k tow rating for the 2.0L EB but I think you need to spec the 4k tow package in order to get the full 4k. I just have not dug deep enough to find out if the rating is lower without it or what that number might be, my guess would be most people would check that box anyway.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think Ford is trying to get as much of the ”truck” market as they can, meaning vehicles with a bed. They have the scale and platforms to extend into these more niche segments and do it profitably to squeeze out others. As good as the Ridgeline is, it’s also a niche vehicle built on a shared platform except now it kind of sits between the F150 and the Ranger. With the Maverick, Ford just threw another vehicle into the mix where low price and better mpg’s can pull buyers away from the Ridgeline. Not all but it’s another option in a market that is getting kind of crowded. My hope is that all these vehicles push Honda to fight for full-size truck customers and that Honda designs the G3 with more truck capability, some more not all the way to a BOF.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
297 Posts
The Santa Fe is more of a Ridgeline competitor than the Maverick, yet even it falls short (pun intended) of the Ridgeline in terms of bed length, tailgate flexibility, and trunk space.

It's interesting to me that even after 15 years, no automaker has yet to build a better Ridgeline.
I agree 100% the RL idea could definitely be improved to fit the needs of the traditional US truck market
I personally got really excited when i saw the SC would have a turbo 4 banger that puts out 280 HP, that thing will be FAST if it is lightweight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If they had an extended cab version with a longer bed I'd be very interested, but I would wait until they've been on the market for a year or two to see what problems come up.

The price seems suspiciously low. I know they are building it in Mexico which saves Ford some money, but I fear they must be cutting corners in other places that may not be obvious at first glance.

I do hope the Maverick and Santa Cruz sell well and open up a market for compact trucks again. If sales are good, maybe we will get one a bigger bed and one row of seats some day.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,228 Posts
They've likely positioned it as a loss leader. Most buyers will be upsold once they get to the dealership.

Outside of fleet sales, I doubt Ford plans to sell many $20k trucks.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,709 Posts
Will the Maverick hybrid have lower mpg's on the highway like most hybrid vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,709 Posts
Yes, it does. The least expensive Escape hybrid is $8,000 more than the Maverick.
And the Ford Escape is one of the worst vehicles made as far as reliability apart from the hybrid drivetrain. I fear the Maverick will follow suit.
image_2021-06-08_211138.png

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,228 Posts
Will the Maverick hybrid have lower mpg's on the highway like most hybrid vehicles?
I think Ford mentioned 37mpg combined, so some are guessing that Hwy will be 33mpg.

That 40mpg sounds great, but I wonder if the seat-of-the-pants power will be satisfying or frustrating? And FWD only.

I suspect the AWD version will be closer to the Sant(r)a Cruz.

121 - 140 of 231 Posts