Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
161 - 180 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is like questioning why the Accord is more expensive than a Civic.
Not if you actually read and compare the specs... Civic and Accord have different capabilities... yet the Maverick actually has the same specs that count on a truck... and has real off-road capability

Have a look:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was just reviewing the specs on the Ford Maverick. Considering this truck is about 10" shorter than the Ridgeline, and so much cheaper, how can the bed have an almost identical capacity to the Ridgeline?

The Maverick has a HIGHER payload capacity, and has .73" MORE ground clearance (in AWD - The specs don't say if the off-road FX4 package will increase the ground clearance further.) And the off-road/towing packages include full skid plates, real AT tires, heavy duty fans, heavy duty radiator and heavy duty transmission cooling.

The Ecoboost 2.0 twin turbo puts out only 30 less hp than the Ridgeline's 6 while having to power a lighter, smaller vehicle.

It is already reported that the Maverick with every option tops out at $37K MSRP, almost $10K less than the Ridgeline.

You can say the Ridgeline is bigger, but the specs that define the capabilities of a truck at best match what the Maverick also offers with the notable exception of towing capacity. (but still at 4,000 lb. for the little Maverick)

It makes you wonder what the Honda engineers were doing during the 2021 redesign? It seems that the designers only did cosmetic changes for the 2021 Ridgeline. They stuck on a truck grill, leveled out the hood, and put fake notches on the all-season SUV tires to make the HPD package look "tough" without adding functionality. None of the other shortcomings of the Ridgeline were improved upon.

You can check out the specs here and compare to Honda's specs:
From your posts this really isn't a discussion you just don't like your RL which is fine, doesn't work for you. GC isn't really talked about except for off-roading which the RL wasn't designed to do (snow being the exception but I hardly find myself driving in 8" of snow). You probably knew the RL GC when you bought it so if it was so important why did you get it in the first place? Some of the stuff you mentioned is included in the "off-road" package which Honda doesn't offer (I don't consider HPD as an off-road package but more a looks). I've also read you hated the RL doesn't have true 4X4 but now your ok with the Maverick? I think the Maverick will be a nice truck and hopefully you find something you enjoy, everyone should. I'm just not sure what your point of the constant RL bashing is.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Then why the goofy, fake HPD package? 🤔
I agree the HPD package seems a bit like it was to make it "look" more off-road friendly without actually doing anything to make it more off-road worthy. Wasn't my favorite package except I like the looks of the wheels. Although some people bought the HPD so I guess it was worth it? Would be interesting to see if Honda ever makes an actual "off-road" package for the RL :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
From your posts this really isn't a discussion you just don't like your RL which is fine, doesn't work for you. GC isn't really talked about except for off-roading which the RL wasn't designed to do (snow being the exception but I hardly find myself driving in 8" of snow). You probably knew the RL GC when you bought it so if it was so important why did you get it in the first place? Some of the stuff you mentioned is included in the "off-road" package which Honda doesn't offer (I don't consider HPD as an off-road package but more a looks). I've also read you hated the RL doesn't have true 4X4 but now your ok with the Maverick? I think the Maverick will be a nice truck and hopefully you find something you enjoy, everyone should. I'm just not sure what your point of the constant RL bashing is.
First off, I have an RTL-E. Secondly, Ford did the heavy lifting in terms of the AWD system. If it’s anything like the Bronco Sport, it does more than I need it to do. The AWD system actually acts, in many ways like real 4WD. If it didn’t, I don’t think Ford would put their FX4 branding on it.

every time I’ve brought up a shortcoming or disappointment w my Ridgeline, all I hear in response from many in this group is “it’s not made for that!”

“If you want to tow something (under its tow limit) you shouldn’t have gotten a Ridgeline.”

“If you want to go light off-road, you shouldn’t have gotten a Ridgeline; it’s a highway cruiser.”

You buy a truck for versatility so that it can do a number of things. Besides doing what an SUV can do, and being able to carry some bags of mulch back from Lowe’s, the Ridgeline doesn’t do the other things that give a truck versatility.

Meanwhile, it would appear in the bed that Ford has done an even better job than Honda at versatility with their truck bed “fit system”. Albeit, they couldn’t do the in-bed trunk.

My point is, for the cost of the AWD versions of the Ridgeline, Honda should be doing a lot more to make it a capable truck, rather than just offering up plastic fender flares, and goofy things like “Truckbed Audio” (which I don’t think I’ve ever even turned on).

Unless they start addressing some of its shortcomings, it will most likely remain the sales laggard that it is. Which is sad, bc they really could make it a great vehicle. Hopefully they take what Ford did with the Maverick as a wake up call.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
This Maverick is going to confuse a lot of people (and I;m sure some smart ass will say I'm confused). The media probably won't help as it's likely the comparisons will be about the unit body trucks that are based off of crossovers that have different sizes. If folks rationale is if the Maverick's bed is only 9 inches smaller than the Ridgeline's why is there such a price differential? However if you get into the details the price differential decreases when accounting for the actual Maverick that folks would buy. If you add AWD, a turbo and the safety bits you are in the mid 20's already. Honda is going to sell all their Ridgelines anyway but there will be some overlap with the Ranger but the geniuses have probably got this all figured out. If I was going to spend say 27k-30k and buy a base CRV, HRV RAV4, Civic or Maverick or even an Accord just based on pricing there's a lot to think about. To me there is a clear winner in all of this but this is all good for the consumer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This Maverick is going to confuse a lot of people. The media probably won't help as it's likely the comparisons will be about the unit body trucks that are based off of crossovers that have different sizes. If folks rationale is if the Maverick's bed is only 9 inches smaller than the Ridgeline's why is there such a price differential? However if you get into the details the price differential decreases when accounting for the actual Maverick that folks would buy. If you add AWD, a turbo and the safety bits you are in the mid 20's already. Honda is going to sell all their Ridgelines anyway but there will be some overlap with the Ranger but the geniuses have probably got this all figured out. If I was going to spend say 27k and buy a base CRV, HRV RAV4, Civic or Maverick or even an Accord just based on pricing there's a lot to think about. To me there is a clear winner in all of this but this is all good for the consumer.
Ford is making sure they don’t. They even stamp it on the sides of the dash to make it perfectly clear that it is nothing less than a pint-sized, real truck. There is a reason why Ford has been the king of pickups for 40+ years running. And the Lightening and Maverick prove that they really do listen to their consumers.

I agree, iit will be all good for the consumer.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Ford is making sure they don’t. They even stamp it on the sides of the dash to make it perfectly clear that it is nothing less than a pint-sized, real truck. There is a reason why Ford has been the king of pickups for 40+ years running. And the Lightening and Maverick prove that they really do listen to their consumers.

I agree, iit will be all good for the consumer.
View attachment 414295
I think it's all about marketing and "confuse and conquer." They've already gotten a ton of mileage about that 20k starting price so mission accomplished.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First off, I have an RTL-E. Secondly, Ford did the heavy lifting in terms of the AWD system. If it’s anything like the Bronco Sport, it does more than I need it to do. The AWD system actually acts, in many ways like real 4WD. If it didn’t, I don’t think Ford would put their FX4 branding on it.

every time I’ve brought up a shortcoming or disappointment w my Ridgeline, all I hear in response from many in this group is “it’s not made for that!”

“If you want to tow something (under its tow limit) you shouldn’t have gotten a Ridgeline.”

“If you want to go light off-road, you shouldn’t have gotten a Ridgeline; it’s a highway cruiser.”

You buy a truck for versatility so that it can do a number of things. Besides doing what an SUV can do, and being able to carry some bags of mulch back from Lowe’s, the Ridgeline doesn’t do the other things that give a truck versatility.

Meanwhile, it would appear in the bed that Ford has done an even better job than Honda at versatility with their truck bed “fit system”. Albeit, they couldn’t do the in-bed trunk.

My point is, for the cost of the AWD versions of the Ridgeline, Honda should be doing a lot more to make it a capable truck, rather than just offering up plastic fender flares, and goofy things like “Truckbed Audio” (which I don’t think I’ve ever even turned on).

Unless they start addressing some of its shortcomings, it will most likely remain the sales laggard that it is. Which is sad, bc they really could make it a great vehicle. Hopefully they take what Ford did with the Maverick as a wake up call.
This is an honest question because I haven't read a ton on it, how does the AWD of the Maverick act like a real 4WD when compared to the RL AWD? I did read about your transmission overheating which isn't right and I agree if Honda advertises 5000 lbs, you should be able to tow up to 5,000lb without your transmission overheating. But it doesn't seem like towing is related since users that have never towed still get that issue and people that tow to the limit don't. That being said I agree with you on the disappointment of the "HPD" that doesn't include any "performance". Honda could definitely improve some stuff starting with the issues that yourself and other have ran into. I guess we'll see if a new gen comes out what they do in the "versatility" department.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,800 Posts
No way around it. The Ridgeline is a (on the large end of this spectrum too) midsize truck. The Maverick is a compact. Pull up any specs you like and you still won't have the interior space or bed space that the Ridge has. You won't even have the Ridgeline's (low for a midsize) 5000lb towing capacity. Add to that the trunk. . . . Forget the armchair comparison. All you have to do is sit in each vehicle and you will understand that they are in a different size class.
Oh, and the AWD system on the Ridge is among the best particularly for real world daily driving. It's pretty darn good at tough terrain too and is certainly not the limiting feature for off road use.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is already reported that the Maverick with every option tops out at $37K MSRP, almost $10K less than the Ridgeline.
This is why I said earlier that the low price of the Maverick is suspicious. The Ridgeline price is more or less in line with all other compact pickups on the market. How can the Maverick be so much less expensive?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,228 Posts
Hey Truck Guy, you're just the kind of customer that a Maverick salesman loves.... someone who looks at the peak specs in each category and doesn't dig any deeper.

Keep in mind that maximum payload for the Maverick is where the Ridgeline payload starts out. If you care to look at 2021 specs, all Ridgeline trims beat the Maverick in payload numbers.

Go get yourself a Maverick and be happy. Just don't dig too deep if you want to stay happy.

·
Administrator
19,659 Posts
This is why I said earlier that the low price of the Maverick is suspicious. The Ridgeline price is more or less in line with all other compact pickups on the market. How can the Maverick be so much less expensive?
Since it is based off the Bronco Sport which is based off the Escape, it probably didn't cost Ford much to develop - similar to how the second generation Ridgeline is based off the Pilot. The powertrains it uses have been around for years and the optional all-wheel drive system is very basic. It uses an inexpensive steel bed unlike the Ridgeline's very expensive composite bed and an inexpensive traditional tailgate. Although the interior materials are made more interesting through the use of color, they are very low end. Since it's a hybrid and not an EV, it doesn't need a larger battery and the price of batteries is only a fraction of what it used to be.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I paid $28k for my 2019 Ridgeline AWD and $34k for my 2021 Ridgeline...nowhere near $47k as indicated above.

I think the Maverick is cool...but the Ranger was too small for me, and I've sat in a Bronco Sport and it was too small for me. I drove an Escape for years (my daughter drives it now) and oddly enough...it seems bigger inside but not as comfortable as the Ridgeline.

I looked at midsize trucks for over 2 years before purchasing my Ridgeline. I test drove every one (except the antiquated Nissan which I ruled out rather quickly). I compared features apples-to-apples. You can't compare a base model Ridgeline Sport to a base model manual transmission 4 banger Tacoma...you have to add in all the features to the Tacoma that the Ridgeline Sport has....V6, 4WD, etc....it ends up more expensive. For my needs...there is no better truck on the market at any size or any price than the Ridgeline. It does everything I need it to and more.

I have taken my Ridgeline down some unimproved dirt/gravel roads and through creeks. Even tested the water fording depth. Passed with flying colors. The AWD system is amoung the best I've ever experienced...including Audi's Quattro system. No other midsize...or full size...truck offers the sure footed AWD traction of the Ridgeline at any price. Unless you're rock crawling, fully locked 4WD is not as good as an intelligent AWD system. When we had bad weather this past winter, I was convinced the roads were not all that bad. My Ridgeline went everywhere without any slippage or drama. I told my wife the roads were fine. She tried and couldn't make it out of the driveway in her FWD Lexus. She drove the Ridgeline and she said, "If they made this in an SUV I'd want one". I laughted and said, "They do...it's called the Pilot and Passport". She said, "Wish I'd have known that before we bought my car". LOL! To be fair, her NX 300 does come in AWD but we bought the FWD as we only get a few days of bad weather a year and the Ridgeline has us covered.

I am a Ford fan and have always had excellent luck with Ford products and (shockingly) very good customer service experiences when service was required (much better than Honda has treated me). For me the Maverick is a no go (same for the Santa Cruz) because the bed is to short to haul my motorcycle. The Ridgeline is BARELY long enough (the rear tire sits about 3" from the end of the tailgate). So the small bed would not work for me. I suppose it might work if I didn't use a wheel chock, but that makes loading and unloading so much easier when you're by yourself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've never understood all the criticism towards the Ridgeline. Is a Ford Taurus not a "real car" because it doesn't have a V8 engine, body-on-frame construction, and rear-wheel drive like a Crown Victoria? Is a Ford Flex not a "real SUV" because it doesn't have a V8 engine, body-on-frame construction, and rear-wheel drive like an Expedition? There are many different sizes and capabilities of vehicles within each category for different needs. Unibody vehicles with open beds like the Ridgeline, Santa Cruz, and Maverick are simply different size trucks that are better suited for the actual needs of many "real truck" buyers. Although the Maverick is a unibody vehicle with an open bed like the Ridgeline, it still lacks most of the features that set the Ridgeline apart such as the composite bed, trunk, dual-hinged tailgate, and torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system. Neither the Santa Cruz nor the Maverick can compete with the Ridgeline when it comes to the bed dimensions - when you're dealing with relatively small beds to begin with, that extra foot makes a HUGE difference. Still, I hope that Santa Cruz and Maverick succeed in the unibody, open-bed category in hopes that this will give Honda some initiative to improve the Ridgeline.
Agree on the bed length. Skis and fit perfectly in the Ridgeline bed diagonally with room for boot bags. In the SC or Maverick they would be hanging out. Same with a mountain bike, I can lay it down on its side in the Ridgeline and close the tailgate.

161 - 180 of 231 Posts