Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Serial car addict here. I'm currently driving a VW GTI and loving it, but the car has obvious limitations. If you're ever in the market for a hot hatch though, the GTI can't be beat IMHO. I am a former G1 owner, but because of my car/truck addiction, I dropped it for the then new 5.7 Tundra which I used to tow a fat TT and boat. I just put down a non-refundable deposit with Schomp Honda in Colorado for an RTL-T
and I have no idea what color I'll be getting. I'm number 5 on an ever growing list of depositors. They are selling at MSRP which I'm happy to pay, but it's a bit disconcerting to buy a vehicle site unseen. Last weekend I looked at the Tacoma, but the back seat legroom is nonexistent, at least for my growing family. I took out the Colorado for a test drive, and it felt like an unforgiving tank with no balls (admittedly, I'm coming from a GTI). I can't see how that truck got the MT calipers two years straight. The bed seems really small, the handling was sloppy, and the rear leg room was less than that of my VW. Regardless, I'm fighting my lack of impulse control and holding out for the new RL. I only wish I could get a better answer than "it will be here in less than 60 days". What the hell happened to a spring time launch?

·
Administrator
16,103 Posts
Hi All,

Serial car addict here. I'm currently driving a VW GTI and loving it, but the car has obvious limitations. If you're ever in the market for a hot hatch though, the GTI can't be beat IMHO. I am a former G1 owner, but because of my car/truck addiction, I dropped it for the then new 5.7 Tundra which I used to tow a fat TT and boat. I just put down a non-refundable deposit with Schomp Honda in Colorado for an RTL-T
and I have no idea what color I'll be getting. I'm number 5 on an ever growing list of depositors. They are selling at MSRP which I'm happy to pay, but it's a bit disconcerting to buy a vehicle site unseen. Last weekend I looked at the Tacoma, but the back seat legroom is nonexistent, at least for my growing family. I took out the Colorado for a test drive, and it felt like an unforgiving tank with no balls (admittedly, I'm coming from a GTI). I can't see how that truck got the MT calipers two years straight. The bed seems really small, the handling was sloppy, and the rear leg room was less than that of my VW. Regardless, I'm fighting my lack of impulse control and holding out for the new RL. I only wish I could get a better answer than "it will be here in less than 60 days". What the hell happened to a spring time launch?
Hello, bxhowell. I'm a serial car addict, too. :)

It's still Spring until June 20. Ridgelines began heading to dealers a week ago. They became available for sale yesterday. Therefore, Honda fulfilled their promise.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi All,

You sound like a Sales Manager or GM for Schomp Honda.

Maybe not. Maybe folks are willing to put down a non-refundable deposit on a vehicle they've never driven, while paying MSRP and not getting their choice of color. They do say, one's born every minute. Alas, I don't pay your bills so you are free to do whatever you wish with your money, it is yours after all.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
To each his own but no commet for somthin I havent seen, driven,looked at, priced, or licked, money and what you do with it must be minimal to a point for what you expect of it. Im still holdin my breath and wish I could do such a thing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hello OP, I am going the other route - currently have a G1 Ridgeline and a new GTI is on my short list of possible daily driver cars. Gonna keep the Gen 1 Ridgeline for the wife to drive, but I need some fun so I am looking at sportier practical cars, a hot hatch might be a good fit.

Several weeks ago one of the VW dealers in the city loaned me a brand new GTI for the weekend, threw me the keys and told me to drive the &*%! out of it. I obliged -- my my my it was a lot of fun. It was an Autobahn with the DSG and Performance Pack, very comfortable and fun to drive. I was impressed with the quietness and how solid the car felt, VW has come a long way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I currently have a 2015 VW Golf R which is the very definition of a hot hatch. 290HP and AWD make this car a lot of fun to drive. It is well put together and handles like a dream but it's just too small for my needs. I'll be sad to let it go but I'm looking forward to getting back to Honda. So if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands just PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the comments. I certainly don't work for Schomp Honda, or any other dealer, but if I could ever retire and pick a career for fun, selling cars/trucks would be my number one pick. Better yet, I'd love to work for Motor Trend as an editor, test cars, get drunk and write about them. Alas, it's not to be at this point.

I'll certainly miss my GTI (as I do my scirocco from college), but it's not the vehicle that best serves the family needs (at least that's what I tell myself).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seemed to have struck a nerve with at least one person in this forum. No, I haven't touched (other than at the Denver auto show), licked or driven the new RL, but I did own a G1, and I loved it. I guess that makes me a sucker, but based on what I've read on this forum, I'm not the only one and there are others who have made an early commitment to buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts