Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking this may be a good time to trade in my '11 Ridge, and buy a 2020 G2...

I've negotiated a pretty good deal on a RTL-E, and just have to drive down and hand them a check...

I have been loosing a little sleep over this though,..

One One Hand, my current truck only has 73K well maintained miles, and fits me like an old pair of Jeans. It has a few cosmetic issues, like a drooping headliner and scratches from a well used life.. but she looks good enough.

On the other, I need tires, and a timing belt soon, I'd want to fix that headliner and could use a tax write off - but mostly... The safety technology is really appealing due to some eye surgery.. and heck Car Play and a locking Tail Gate and all the "improvements" they have made could be nice...

So the question is... Anybody regret moving from the old style to the new????

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went from a G1 that my son now owns, a 2006 RTL that now has 132k on it to a Tacoma. My regret was going with the Tacoma and not the G2. I am now in a G2 2018 RTL-e and really like it...

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went from a G1 that my son now owns, a 2006 RTL that now has 132k on it to a Tacoma. My regret was going with the Tacoma and not the G2. I am now in a G2 2018 RTL-e and really like it...
Thanks so much.. I'm counting votes!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you want a 2020 RTL-E I would wait. The deals on 2020s will most likely get better later this year. If you can settle for a 2019 Sport or unicorn RTL, now is the time to buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went from a 2008 G1 to a 2020 RTL-E 2 months ago and no regrets. I should have acted sooner. All the new technology totally changes the ride experience.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want a 2020 RTL-E I would wait. The deals on 2020s will most likely get better later this year. If you can settle for a 2019 Sport or unicorn RTL, now is the time to buy.
Perhaps... All comes down to supply and demand, I suppose. If I don’t jump now, I’ll probably just put some money into the ‘11 and keep it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went from a 2008 G1 to a 2020 RTL-E 2 months ago and no regrets. I should have acted sooner. All the new technology totally changes the ride experience.
Thanks!

·
Registered
553 Posts
$750 now for tires and headliner, then another $750 3 years from now for a timing belt vs $???? now?.....
I will admit, the safety nannies are nice but they don't replace common sense/good driving habits.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$750 now for tires and headliner, then another $750 3 years from now for a timing belt vs $???? now?.....
I will admit, the safety nannies are nice but they don't replace common sense/good driving habits.
No doubt hard (impossible) to justify the purchase from an economic stand point, other then I really need tires now, and think I am getting a good number on my trade. The truck looks fine from the outside, but the interior is getting a little long in the tooth. I thought timing belts were at 10 years no matter the miles... IF I am going to replace it, this might be the “sweet spot” on value.

I was really just trying to get some color on the ownership experience.. it would hurt to give up this truck if the new truck was annoying for some reason... our G1’s were really unique, and as time goes on they may become even more of a “cult vehicle”...

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,199 Posts
You are asking the choir if they like singing in the church.
My 06 was wrecked in 2017 and I was at a crossroads as to what to replace it with. I used my Ridgeline as both a family vehicle and for renovation type construction work and spent a good amount of time researching and test driving the GenII.
I ended up buying an almost new 14. Price was lower of course. . . .My biggest issues with the GenII were:
Cost. They were new and expensive.
Smaller rear trunk. I need every inch of what my GenI had
Narrower rear cab access. Even with the "hack" the GenII has a much smaller metal to metal opening to load / access the rear cab. It simply would hinder my day and day use of the truck.
Lack of a sliding rear window in the lower trims and a small window when equipped. I need this feature to carry long (typically floppy) objects. RTLs now have this window which they didn't at the time.
Lack of floor space between the front seats and in general the lack of interior utility compared to the GenI

Other than that, I also strongly dislike the car like driving experience (low seating position, being enveloped by the dash / console etc) AND the car / minivan like aesthetics both inside and out.

Ride, acceleration and quietness were GenII plusses to be sure. So was the wider longer bed (yet somehow they made the trunk smaller:mad:)

My GenI's have been decently reliable and the lack of the modern infotainment / safey net electronics probably helps. My 14 has been perfect so far. In general the GenII suffered some new model issues yet it still seems to be suffering from some on going quality control issues that many new Honda's share.

All in all, Honda's direction with the GenII seems to me to be more car and less truck. That's not what I wanted or needed for my next vehicle. It really depends on what YOU want.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I loved my 2007, but felt it was "time" for a fresher vehicle - mine was rusting over rear wheel wells and the interior was getting a little worn/grungy. My wife actually suggested it, and we do use it a lot together.

I love the 2019 RTL too. As so many have noted, there're pros and cons, such as:
- It looks less "trucky", but functionally it really isn't....works just as well as a truck as the old one, at least for me.

- I did like the G1's column gear selector because it freed up the middle floor in the front. I didn't use that space for anything important, but more space is better than less.

- The rear door opening isn't as large, but with the mod it's still very good for our uses (and we use that space a lot). On the plus side, in the redesign the "buttress" in the bedside is gone, and I'm really enjoying being able to reach some (not all) items in the bed without standing on a rear wheel or climbing into the bed.

- I'm addicted to having a trunk in my truck, and was concerned that the G2's is slightly smaller. However, in operation it's actually been a little better for me. Not sure if it's the new shape or maybe the dividers I got for the G2, or that I'm just not letting it get as junked up, but though by the numbers it's smaller, I'm not feeling it in the least.

- I loved driving the G1 with its AWD system, but the G2's is definitely better. On country roads I can actually feel the better-distributed power, and it's confidence inspiring.

- It seems like I'm sitting a little lower, though I actually measured the seat height from the ground as the same. That said, I didn't lower and raise the seats to their stops to see if I was comparing apples to apples; just did it quick the first time I test-drove a G2.

All-in I sincerely do like both vehicles a lot. That said, if my G1 had been as new/low mileage as yours I probably would've kept it. However, if I were you I'd go drive the G2 and see "where you're at". The good news is that it's a "win" either way, from my experience.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are asking the choir if they like singing in the church.
My 06 was wrecked in 2017 and I was at a crossroads as to what to replace it with. I used my Ridgeline as both a family vehicle and for renovation type construction work and spent a good amount of time researching and test driving the GenII.
I ended up buying an almost new 14. Price was lower of course. . . .My biggest issues with the GenII were:
Cost. They were new and expensive.
Smaller rear trunk. I need every inch of what my GenI had
Narrower rear cab access. Even with the "hack" the GenII has a much smaller metal to metal opening to load / access the rear cab. It simply would hinder my day and day use of the truck.
Lack of a sliding rear window in the lower trims and a small window when equipped. I need this feature to carry long (typically floppy) objects. RTLs now have this window which they didn't at the time.
Lack of floor space between the front seats and in general the lack of interior utility compared to the GenI

Other than that, I also strongly dislike the car like driving experience (low seating position, being enveloped by the dash / console etc) AND the car / minivan like aesthetics both inside and out.

Ride, acceleration and quietness were GenII plusses to be sure. So was the wider longer bed (yet somehow they made the trunk smaller:mad:)

My GenI's have been decently reliable and the lack of the modern infotainment / safey net electronics probably helps. My 14 has been perfect so far. In general the GenII suffered some new model issues yet it still seems to be suffering from some on going quality control issues that many new Honda's share.

All in all, Honda's direction with the GenII seems to me to be more car and less truck. That's not what I wanted or needed for my next vehicle. It really depends on what YOU want.
Thanks so much for the reply.. you’ve voiced a lot of the concerns I have about making the jump. I work on boats, and use my truck, as a truck.
Indeed to spend a bit more time digging through a Gen 2 but on first look the box seems larger but shallower, a concern with a bed cover.
As you mentioned- the tech, could be a double edged sword.. if the nanny tech was really intrusive, I might get some concerns voiced here....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply.. you’ve voiced a lot of the concerns I have about making the jump. I work on boats, and use my truck, as a truck.
Indeed to spend a bit more time digging through a Gen 2 but on first look the box seems larger but shallower, a concern with a bed cover.
As you mentioned- the tech, could be a double edged sword.. if the nanny tech was really intrusive, I might get some concerns voiced here....

Your mention of intrusive tech prompts me to say that one reason I selected the RTL AWD was that it didn't have the lane warning, etc. Drove a black edition on a test drive and it drove me a little nuts. I guess that could mean I'm just a "bad driver" :) but really didn't like that, and I also haven't enjoyed the rental cars I've driven with the engine-stop action. Also I'd read so many complaints about the higher-trim head unit, and that the RTL's 5" head unit is much more easily replaceable with an aftermarket HU, though I'm not in a big hurry to do that.

And finally the deal that was available when I bought my 2019 (late November) was really good - 6K under sticker - and I couldn't picture that happening again in the near future. Don't know now though, given the unpredictable Covid economic aftermath - maybe there'll be great prices again.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I loved my 2007, but felt it was "time" for a fresher vehicle - mine was rusting over rear wheel wells and the interior was getting a little worn/grungy. My wife actually suggested it, and we do use it a lot together.

I love the 2019 RTL too. As so many have noted, there're pros and cons, such as:
- It looks less "trucky", but functionally it really isn't....works just as well as a truck as the old one, at least for me.

- I did like the G1's column gear selector because it freed up the middle floor in the front. I didn't use that space for anything important, but more space is better than less.

- The rear door opening isn't as large, but with the mod it's still very good for our uses (and we use that space a lot). On the plus side, in the redesign the "buttress" in the bedside is gone, and I'm really enjoying being able to reach some (not all) items in the bed without standing on a rear wheel or climbing into the bed.

- I'm addicted to having a trunk in my truck, and was concerned that the G2's is slightly smaller. However, in operation it's actually been a little better for me. Not sure if it's the new shape or maybe the dividers I got for the G2, or that I'm just not letting it get as junked up, but though by the numbers it's smaller, I'm not feeling it in the least.

- I loved driving the G1 with its AWD system, but the G2's is definitely better. On country roads I can actually feel the better-distributed power, and it's confidence inspiring.

- It seems like I'm sitting a little lower, though I actually measured the seat height from the ground as the same. That said, I didn't lower and raise the seats to their stops to see if I was comparing apples to apples; just did it quick the first time I test-drove a G2.

All-in I sincerely do like both vehicles a lot. That said, if my G1 had been as new/low mileage as yours I probably would've kept it. However, if I were you I'd go drive the G2 and see "where you're at". The good news is that it's a "win" either way, from my experience.
Good stuff, thanks! I’m going to drive a new one again tomorrow.. I can’t drag this decision out any longer!

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your mention of intrusive tech prompts me to say that one reason I selected the RTL AWD was that it didn't have the lane warning, etc. Drove a black edition on a test drive and it drove me a little nuts. I guess that could mean I'm just a "bad driver" :) but really didn't like that, and I also haven't enjoyed the rental cars I've driven with the engine-stop action. Also I'd read so many complaints about the higher-trim head unit, and that the RTL's 5" head unit is much more easily replaceable with an aftermarket HU, though I'm not in a big hurry to do that.

And finally the deal that was available when I bought my 2019 (late November) was really good - 6K under sticker - and I couldn't picture that happening again in the near future. Don't know now though, given the unpredictable Covid economic aftermath - maybe there'll be great prices again.
I would have considered a 2019 RTL AWD, but I have not been able to find one in Florida.. it’ll be a 2020 RTL-E, but both the engine stop and lane keeping and can be defeated, albeit with a few strokes of the finger every time you get in the vehicle. I don’t hear many complaints from those that actually have RTL-E’s (yet...).

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
BlueLine--We have a 2013 and a 2020 in the family. I just bought the new RTL-E and am hoping that towing our 4000# trailer twice a year will not be a white knuckle experience (Parted with a 2017 Ram 1/2 ton 4WD and Mini Cooper). So far driving the 2020 is less annoying than I thought, as once the lane reminder nanny is turned off, it stays off. I only have to press one button to prevent the engine shutoff from engaging when I start up. (There is a work around for the default position on this) Really like the 9 speed ZF as the acceleration is a bit livelier. Biggest shocker is the mileage. Our 2013 averages 18.5 -20 on the meter and this one sits around 25. I know they lie about 1-1.5 mpg and I will check using numbers next fill up--I only have 305 miles on it. Putting skid plates and a 1.5" lift in front in order to access our property via a creek, otherwise I wouldn't bother. The deal was what made me pull the trigger........most dealers would get to $38,600 + T&L&Doc, but I found one for $36,451 with a great trade on my RAM and there you go.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,037 Posts
No doubt hard (impossible) to justify the purchase from an economic stand point, other then I really need tires now, and think I am getting a good number on my trade. The truck looks fine from the outside, but the interior is getting a little long in the tooth. I thought timing belts were at 10 years no matter the miles... IF I am going to replace it, this might be the “sweet spot” on value.
I was really just trying to get some color on the ownership experience.. it would hurt to give up this truck if the new truck was annoying for some reason... our G1’s were really unique, and as time goes on they may become even more of a “cult vehicle”...
A decent set of tires will run around $600 installed. Of the folks who have had their headliner repaired at an upholstery shop, typical cost is around $350-400. Timing belt services obviously range quite a bit depending on what's included in the job, but you can factor in $1000 for the belt, water pump, tensioner, and possibly some seals and fluids. There is no years of service indicated by Honda as to when the timing belt should be replaced. At your current pace of mileage, you could easily go another 3-4 years before having to worry about it. But if you're going to keep the truck that much longer, it may be worth it to do it. If you're going to trade it in, you won't get another nickel out of it if it's done or not. A dealership is just going to look at the age, mileage, condition, and normal auction asking prices of similar vehicles to give you a trade in number. Keep in mind that if you keep it, you'll also need to consider doing the spark plugs, radiator, and valve clearances around the same time, too, which in total will cost around $1000 if done at a dealership or less than half of that if done via DIY.
I personally don't care for several things about the G2. I've been in one and driven one briefly. There's no doubt it has many positives to it, but it's just such a vast departure from the G1 that it didn't feel right to me. That and the cab space gets tighter as my son gets bigger. I don't think you can go wrong with buying a G2 if your G1 has treated you well and still fits into your life situation. A 2019 AWD RTL would be my choice as well simply because it would be less expensive and have the moon roof and rear sliding window, a replaceable audio head unit, no safety nannies that would drive me nuts, the tested and proven 6AT transmission, and plenty of creature comforts to suit me.
If you're looking to get into something new just for the sake of getting something newer, now would be the time to trade in your G1 while it still holds strong value.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,199 Posts
A decent set of tires will run around $600 installed. Of the folks who have had their headliner repaired at an upholstery shop, typical cost is around $350-400. Timing belt services obviously range quite a bit depending on what's included in the job, but you can factor in $1000 for the belt, water pump, tensioner, and possibly some seals and fluids. There is no years of service indicated by Honda as to when the timing belt should be replaced. At your current pace of mileage, you could easily go another 3-4 years before having to worry about it. But if you're going to keep the truck that much longer, it may be worth it to do it. If you're going to trade it in, you won't get another nickel out of it if it's done or not. A dealership is just going to look at the age, mileage, condition, and normal auction asking prices of similar vehicles to give you a trade in number. Keep in mind that if you keep it, you'll also need to consider doing the spark plugs, radiator, and valve clearances around the same time, too, which in total will cost around $1000 if done at a dealership or less than half of that if done via DIY.
I personally don't care for several things about the G2. I've been in one and driven one briefly. There's no doubt it has many positives to it, but it's just such a vast departure from the G1 that it didn't feel right to me. That and the cab space gets tighter as my son gets bigger. I don't think you can go wrong with buying a G2 if your G1 has treated you well and still fits into your life situation. A 2019 AWD RTL would be my choice as well simply because it would be less expensive and have the moon roof and rear sliding window, a replaceable audio head unit, no safety nannies that would drive me nuts, the tested and proven 6AT transmission, and plenty of creature comforts to suit me.
If you're looking to get into something new just for the sake of getting something newer, now would be the time to trade in your G1 while it still holds strong value.
Agree with just about everything above except that the 6at is tested and proven. There seem to be enough issues with it including problems after towing as well as issues that occur for no apparent reason and at low / medium mileage amounts. The problems with the 9sp on Hondas appears to be more an issue of driveability and less an issue of reliability. Honda has had it in use for many years now and its actual failure rate (not driveability complaints) seems to be no worse (if not better than) the 6AT. I personally wouldn't discount the 20's just because of the 9sp especially since Honda seems to have gotten the programming mostly sorted out.

·
Administrator
15,238 Posts
Having had three 1Gs and two 2Gs, I much prefer the 2G's ride, quietness, sound quality, electronics, performance, efficiency, styling, and bed material. Unfortunately, I've had far more problems with my 2Gs than my 1Gs.

I view the 1G as an ugly wife who is plain and faithful. I view the 2G as a beautiful wife who nags a lot and can't be trusted.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts