Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local Honda dealership in the Dallas metroplex yesterday and picked up a new 2020 Ridgeline RTL. I have an OBD Bluetooth dongle and plugged it in so I could monitor the various parameters. The dongle was sticking pretty far down so I decided to see if I could push the port up under the dash to hide it. I noticed there was already a pass-thru plug feeding power to something. 30 minutes of fishing around under the dash and this beauty popped out. It was live with some LEDs lit up and has a SIM card with a Netherlands ICCID and the words "Curiosity IoT" printed on it. A little Google Foo shows that to be a Sprint service.

Wonder if the dealership put this in because I financed through them? And I wonder if I signed my privacy away with all the paperwork I zipped through? This is a first for me and I am pretty pissed off about it. Anyone else run across this before???

·
Registered
2011 RTL
136 Posts
Who did you finance through? Some of my techs have worked at other dealerships that had to install those for certain finance companies. We do not do this at mine and I don't know if they would know which companies want it, just following management's instructions, but we've had cars come in from time to time with them installed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the 0% offer from Honda. I think they pulled this RL from another dealership down the road. I was waiting around for hours to pick up the truck and was wondering why it took so long...hmmm

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you leave it off, they know it's dead. Put it on another vehicle and it just might keep them guessing for a while.
Given that it has such a low power draw, you could hook it up to an old car battery and leave it at the bottom of a cliff or something. That would really get them wondering.

Got any friends in the junk yard business? Hook it up to a vehicle in the bottom of a pile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It may have something to do with keeping you safe:

Autonomous vehicles are a hot topic among automobile makers. Various car manufacturers are trying to develop a fully autonomous car that will assume all driving functions from the driver. Even though developments have been made in this area, a fully independent vehicle is still to be developed.
However, semi-autonomous vehicles have been manufactured that partially assists drivers with driving, braking, parking, and lane changing activities. IoT infused semi-autonomous cars take on-spot decisions while partly controlling the vehicle operations to avoid accidents and reduce the load from the driver. Along with different proximity sensors and cameras, cars are integrated with IoT systems to reduce human error and make driving more comfortable and safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may have something to do with keeping you safe:
I started out thinking it was some bizarre Bluetooth or GPS module that used the OBD power. Then as I am pulling out 3' of loose cable from under the dash I was cursing Honda for such shoddy workmanship. The module was loosely tie wrapped around something and I could jiggle it by the cable. After fishing my hand up in there (it's all cut to hell now!) I could tell there was no other harness going into it. So I was able to push it out of the tie wrap and finally get it out. I pulled the tie wrap tight and cut as much if the tail off as I could reach. At least it won't rattle around now.

But keeping me safe? Please... I should hook it up to the neighbors car, he is a bit shady anyway.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A local Lexus dealer lists the tracking device in fine print for all their vehicles. They call it Kahu, which is a 3rd party tracking system.
Not sure if it's activated when you finance or not activated if you do not finance or it's always activated. To me, this is predatory. Here is the response I received from the dealer:
Kahu has many uses and it does help us track our inventory. Kahu is also a very secure anti-theft protection product for our customers. Kahu keeps vehicle owners in tune as to where their vehicle is at all times. In the case the vehicle gets stolen, the average recovery time, from when it's reported stolen, is only 26 minutes.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Its not terribly uncommon for dealers to install 'theft tracking' devices in all cars in their inventory and then push for the buyer to subscribe to the fee-based service 'for the new-owner's benefit' (and a profit-making kickback to the dealer); also not terribly uncommon for the relatively cheap (to the dealer) hardware to be left-in place, non-functioning, even if the buyer doesn't 'bite' on the service plan. The dealer may save enough on their own inventory insurance to cover their cost of the whole shebang.

Yours might be such, or a theft tracking device intended only for use while the vehicle was in their inventory that got overlooked when it should have been removed during delivery prep.

EDIT - I would not go at the dealer assuming any nefarious intent, though yeah that is a possibility I suppose.

Personally, I'd forthrightly (in a non-accusatory manner) ask the dealer about it, making it clear you've removed it to see if they offer any adverse response to that. If you take that approach, please do update us.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're willing to take it apart, pop out the sim and grab a used sprint hotspot offa craigslist or something. Free wifi for life, or until they figure it out and terminate the service associated with the sim card.
It's too bad I already work for a cell phone company. I have not paid for service in 20+ years... :cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Went to a local Honda dealership in the Dallas metroplex yesterday
Do you mind throwing out which dealer it was? I have dealt with most of them in the metroplex while searching for the best deal. I have my suspicions as to which one(s) might do this.

·
Registered
292 Posts
David McDavid in Frisco. Supposed to be the biggest Honda dealer in the world???
If dealing with them is anything like the Irving store, that was one of the two I had pegged for it. I dealt with the Irving location when we were looking for an Odyssey and again when I was looking for my RL. After those two experiences, basically no chance I will go back there. Hope they have a good reason for putting it on there.

That title goes to Norm Reeves Honda Superstore Cerritos. They have over twice the inventory of David McDavid.
Maybe they try to claim it with both dealerships combined, then again, maybe they claim with some disclaimer for sales of one model or something. Dealers are always using the fine print to make themselves appear to be the best.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts