Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

Registered
So, nothing any more nefarious than any other 'dealer add-on option' ... good to know, perhaps if nothing else a lesson about premature posting of worst-case assumptions on a forum. ;)

That turned out to be a waste of elevated blood-pressure, eh?
X2

Bill

Registered
Oh oh, I just bought a 2020 Ridgeline two weeks ago and financed it thru Honda for 0%. Guess I鈥檇 better check for it tomorrow just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

Registered
I bought two 2021 Civics from Honda Cars of McKinney and both had the Spireon GPS trackers installed in them. I financed both through Honda and have spotless history. This is nothing new but they couch it as a value add service. I refuse to pay for the KaHu service and wrote it out of the deals. I have no need for these and don鈥檛 want to give away any more data about my whereabouts to a car dealer or anyone they do business with.

I removed the devices and will remove the OBD pass through harnesses this weekend returning the car to factory finish.

On a side note, the same dealership stripped wires in my 2019 Pilot to install this device. The OBD pass through is a much better solution but useless to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
On a side note, the same dealership stripped wires in my 2019 Pilot to install this device. The OBD pass through is a much better solution but useless to me.
From an easy install process, yeah the OBD port is better/cleaner. But it becomes so stupid obvious that you have a tracker its functionally is worthless if you are paying for the service. My device has a backup battery to keep it running for a while, but no vehicle integration to disable the ignition.

Super Moderator
While I'm not a big fan of tracking devices I do have a VYNCS one that is wrapped with black tape (to make less obvious) and plugged into the OBD II port. I've had it for about 4 years on there now and while I don't use the tracking function for anything other than to make sure my truck is still in the same place i parked it, I do use it for the gas mileage function (averaging over time), the battery history function (can watch your battery performance and degradation over time and see if it needs a rejuvenation cycle from the battery charger) . It also has OBD II diagnostics as well and can report the errors remotely to my phone application. Sure, it's possible that the vendor is using the data but I haven't had any indications from any vendor that they are selling my information to anyone. Including insurances, or nearby vendors trying to sell me things. On the other hand the built in Onstar on our 2012 does do some of that. Including stuff mostly from Onstar themselves but also from insurance agents nearby. I personally would say what i have is pretty safe for myself as I've had it for a while now without issues. But Onstar not so much. I think they are selling the data (if they can based on the user agreement contract I have with them).

Super Moderator
That the same thing that I got on mine. It was free for awhile but I never signed up for the service. But you are correct in that it is a security feature to find your vehicle if it is ever stolen.

View attachment 411469
That's a lot of extra "goodies" to inflate the price of the new vehicle. Cost is minimal to the dealer, but the profit margin is astounding. They must just add whatever number they want to "95" and that is their price for the service.

Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Rogers Note about the Dealers disregarding Honda recommendation to not connect anything but a Scan Tool to the OBD-II Port is good advice. If the device you have connected to your OBD-II Port fails in a manner that takes down the Data Link(s) it may adversely affect your control of the Vehicle and at the worst case cause damage or loss of life.

Ask yourself these few questions:
1) Did the Manufacturer of that Device Vet it with all the various Vehicle Manufactures for safe Data Link Loading (available Bandwidth) and FMEA (Failure Mode Effect Analysis)?
2) If it fails and causes an accident, Who is Liable?
3) If they're uploading your Data to their Servers, can that Data be used against you in a Court of Law?

The only Device that has been connected to my '20 RTL-E OBD-II Port is a Dearborn Group Technologies VSI-NxGen J-2534 Compliant Passthrough Device. When and if I need to use the Honda Electronic Service Tool Software, I'll use my VSI-NxGen to make the connection between the Laptop and the OBD-II Port and only for Maintenance/Repair use.

Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL
I'm curious if your Ridgeline was repo before you bought it. Start a poll to see if people who have sketchy credit have a tracking device installed. Reminds me of the John Oliver Last Week Tonight episode about subprime predatory auto loans.

Registered
In order to turn the vehicle off remotely, why do we have to call someone to do this? Why can't we get an installation and phone app to do this ourselves; and better yet, I have family members with whom I would love to be able to remotely limit the engine revs, if they ever had to use the vehicle.

Registered
This doesn't concern my G1 Ridgeline, but 2 years ago I bought my used 2015 BMX X4. While reviewing the deal with the salesman, I noticed the line for the Kahu for $300.00 and questioned it. The salesman told me that they install it on all their cars and tried to sell me by explaining all the benefits - theft tracking with remote disabling, vehicle condition/service monitoring, etc. Guess what?!? It was free the first year, but only $250.00 per year afterwards! What a deal! I told him I didn't want it and asked for it to be removed, but he refused. I asked where in the car it was installed (so I could remove it later), but he refused to tell me. I refused to pay for it, so he took the $300.00 off the deal somewhere else, leaving the Kahu on the order (which I had to sign for to accept the Kahu terms to renew). I wanted to walk, but really wanted the car (smokin' deal), so I bought it anyway, despite my fears of "Big Brother".

After that, every morning the car would throw a low battery warning caused by the parasitic draw from the Kahu. After a couple weeks, I finally searched for it and found it flopping around the battery compartment - only connected by the power and ground (and with the rest of the ribbon cable cut short). I removed it and it sat on my workbench for 2 years while I waited for the Kahu police to arrive. I recently threw it out.

So, the "benefits" were all BS, and it could only be used to track me, and generate revenue for Kahu. This could be the same situation - the dealer gets a kicker for every Kahu they install, so Kahu can get the renewal revenue. No nefarious intent, no Kahu police, no "Big Brother", just all about the cash.

Registered
So, the "benefits" were all BS, and it could only be used to track me, and generate revenue for Kahu. This could be the same situation - the dealer gets a kicker for every Kahu they install, so Kahu can get the renewal revenue. No nefarious intent, no Kahu police, no "Big Brother", just all about the cash.
I tend to agree with you on this. When I got my Ridgeline, it was a year old from a non Honda dealer. When we agreed on price, I found a Zaktek paint protection package added on. Told them no way would I pay for that, I do my own vehicle cleaning (plus the dealer is 30-40 mins with no traffic away). It was $249 or $299, something like that. But the same thing happened to me, they took that amount off somewhere else and it was on the final bill of sale. It was supposed to be they cleaned the inside and outside of the truck every six months with this package, but you have to bring it to the dealer (where they can sell you on oil changes and other stuff, I am sure). I am sure it was the same type of deal, that they get a cut of this Zaktek branded cleaning product that they sell.

And Johnny, I don't think in the 20+ years I have been on forums that I see someones first post almost 14 years after joining. That is what you call lurking!

Super Moderator
Wow, I too have never seen anyone finally post after 14 years of joining. That's just astounding ! Congrats Johnny !

Registered
I had a kahu on my Ridgeline even after I told the dealer I didn't want it. I knew to ask for it to be removed because they disclosed it in the paperwork. They also had a sales display for it in the showroom. After I got my truck I called and asked them what happened and they said they must have missed the note to take it off during prep or something. I went back and they removed it for me. The Kahu didn't plug into the odb port though.

It seems like any thief worth anything would already know about these things and take them off very quickly if they stole a vehicle. I think it's a benefit to the dealer as an inventory control mechanism and extra profit making opportunity more than anything.
Where was the kahu plugged if not the odb?

Registered
As an IT professional for more than 30 years I've had the task of working on a few systems that track "demographics". Everyone concerned about a GPS tracker in your car might as well get over it. You are begin tracked. Yes...you! If you have a cell phone, you are tracked. If you have "smart speakers" in your home, you are being spied on. If you have registered your vehicle and it has a license plate, you are begin tracked. If you have a face and have had its image captured digitally (social media, drivers license, etc), you are being tracked.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I've actually helped design these systems. I've seen the data they collect.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore.

Super Moderator
I'm in the computer bus for years. I've worked at the "mines" where all the secure data storage arrays are kept by the NSA, gov blah blah agencies. They have more data on people in those things than anyone here would like to admit. The problem is that hackers get to it too. Then your personal information ends up on the dark web. Not only do you need protection on your pc from viruses and BOT's but you need Dark web protection to see if your personal information is being sold or mishandled. You can never find out where the breach came from but you can monitor some of the activity and i would highly suggest you do that. Especially for your passwords and other personal info that is being passed around.

Premium Member
As an IT professional for more than 30 years I've had the task of working on a few systems that track "demographics". Everyone concerned about a GPS tracker in your car might as well get over it. You are begin tracked. Yes...you! If you have a cell phone, you are tracked. If you have "smart speakers" in your home, you are being spied on. If you have registered your vehicle and it has a license plate, you are begin tracked. If you have a face and have had its image captured digitally (social media, drivers license, etc), you are being tracked.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I've actually helped design these systems. I've seen the data they collect.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore.
That's why I sometimes suspect that we may be better off giving up all of our info, since they have so much of it anyway. What's in it for us? Maybe identity thieves won't be able to impersonate us because EVERYONE will know who we are already.

Accused of a physical crime? Maybe not, if your car, phone and smart watch all say you were in another state at the time.

I remember reading, about a decade ago, how your phone will know when you're resting, moving, driving, etc. and will know you so well that it will also knownif someone else is using your phone because it doesn't fit your patterns. By the same token, some security systems may deny your password based on how quickly or slowly you type it in... they recognize keystroke patterns, also.

Registered
Went to a local Honda dealership in the Dallas metroplex yesterday and picked up a new 2020 Ridgeline RTL. I have an OBD Bluetooth dongle and plugged it in so I could monitor the various parameters. The dongle was sticking pretty far down so I decided to see if I could push the port up under the dash to hide it. I noticed there was already a pass-thru plug feeding power to something. 30 minutes of fishing around under the dash and this beauty popped out. It was live with some LEDs lit up and has a SIM card with a Netherlands ICCID and the words "Curiosity IoT" printed on it. A little Google Foo shows that to be a Sprint service.

Wonder if the dealership put this in because I financed through them? And I wonder if I signed my privacy away with all the paperwork I zipped through? This is a first for me and I am pretty pissed off about it. Anyone else run across this before???

View attachment 411296
Is it easy to find?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts