Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I spent a couple years trying to have my local dealer fix what sounded like a suspension clunk that occurred at low speed typically at initial acceleration, i.e. unloading from suspension.

Finally the dealer figured it out after replacing the left front strut and left lower control arm.

It turned out to be a broken motor mount!

The mating surfaces at the break had worn completely smooth after two years of rubbing together.

As I was told it was the first case in Canada.

I'm just sharing in case anyone else has a clunk that can't be tracked down.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I spent a couple years trying to have my local dealer fix what sounded like a suspension clunk that occurred at low speed typically at initial acceleration, i.e. unloading from suspension.

Finally the dealer figured it out after replacing the left front strut and left lower control arm.

It turned out to be a broken motor mount!

The mating surfaces at the break had worn completely smooth after two years of rubbing together.

As I was told it was the first case in Canada.

I'm just sharing in case anyone else has a clunk that can't be tracked down.
Wow! Glad you/they got to the bottom of it, so to speak.

Any idea how that could've happened? Did they fix it under warranty?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Every single thread that revolves around knocking, touches on motor mounts, end links & bushings, and struts. How come this was not diagnosed much earlier?
How on earth did the mount break like that in a G2? Were you involved in some sort of hard impact? I would suspect that other components may have taken the brunt, prior to the front mount breaking off. (that active engine mount looks wonky).

Glad you got it figured out though!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They found the source of the clunk with body panel listening devices and consulting with Honda Tech center.

I guess none suspected a broken mount which was likely a manufacturing fault. No crash or impacts.

The car was out of warranty at the time but there was a open work order for the suspension and Honda approved all the work under the open work order.

I suspect the dealer could have found it earlier had they been a bit more diligent in initial investigation.... I guess this is one time piece work type service hurt the dealer and Honda.

It sucks that it took two years to resolve but I'm back to loving my RL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I too have a "knock" that only occurs at initial acceleration after the car has been started. It doesn't matter if I start the car, accelerate and then turn it off within a minute, or drive for 2 hours and then turn off the car and come back to start it up the next day. It happens every single time upon initial acceleration after starting the car. I haven't experienced this "knock" any other time. So I took it in this week for that and a brake pedal issue because I'm closing in on the Honda certified bumper to bumper warranty. The tech ended up taking a ride with me to grasp what I was describing. He heard it. While they are fixing the brake pedal issue under warranty, they have stated that the "knock" is nothing more than the transmission and is common for that transmission across the vehicles. I'm not a mechanic, but I feel that if the "knock" was suspension or something else that is wear and tear, it would be consistent across the board as far as occurrence when driving. They said they checked the motor mount and it is definitely not broken. With that being said, I assume that there are alot of these vehicles from 2017 across the 2 or 3 models that use the same engine and transmission that experience this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts