Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to post this for awhile. But I have been real busy. I went camping at Capital Reef Utah at the end of September. I didnt take a generator because it was cool enough not to need the A/C. I have a solar panel that usually can keep the camper batteries topped off. Unfortunately we had mild days with overcast skies. The nights where cool so the Heater was running at night. After the third night the batteries where really low. There is no electric hookups at Capital Reef. What to do ? Remembered A/C outlet in truck bed. Luckily I had put a 110v 3 prong to 2 prong adapter in the compartment when I first found out it was only a 2 prong adapter. My biggest gripe about my Ridgeline! I also had in my camping gear a 30amp to 110v adapter. So with the 2 adapters I was able to plug camper in bed of truck to charge the batteries and an run the inside lights in the camper while cooking breakfast. I did have it set to 400watt while the truck was running. Only took a little over 2.5 hours to top battery off. And it was way quieter than all the people around me using generators ! Its good to know I now have another method of getting electric to the camper besides solar or a generator ! Put that 110v 2 prong to 3 prong adapter in your truck now. You may find other uses for it like I did by accident !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my first thought but camper and truck end to end was just long enough to have the nose of my truck sticking out. My camper towing/brake cable is barley longer than the tongue. But its a great way to do it remotely without having to hit the button in the cab. I doubt it would be much faster than the trailer plug. I'm sure both methods use the trailers charge controller. Ill have to test it some time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for the bump, but I'm reading up on my "new" 2017 RTL-E and I see a number of complaints about the ungrounded AC outlet. Well, I'm not a real electrician, but I've worked with them and the ground or earth at your home is attached to one or more 6' conductive rods driven into the ground. The only way a vehicle can provide a "ground" is for it to carry something similar and drive it in :) BTW - love Capitol Reef. Went there many times back in the NatMon days - picked apricots off the trees. I drove my little AWD car down the Notom Bullfrog road and took the ferry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Speaking of new uses. I bought one of these speakers for my back patio, or yard work in general, and my friend liked it. He wanted to know if it would run off the power outlet for him when he goes camping. Turns out it worked very well. He bought one and uses it on his 2019 Tacoma when he goes camping. Probably keeping it down if at a closer camp ground. He goes on fishing trips to the Columbia River and other places where it is open and not many people around.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That 2 pronged single outlet uses such small gauge wire it’s a wonder it can power much at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,081 Posts
That 2 pronged single outlet uses such small gauge wire it’s a wonder it can power much at all.
400 watts / 120 volts = 3.3 amps, so you only need 20 AWG wire. The high beam headlights use 5 amps. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
zroger73
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing