Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are thinking about upgrading our current single door, top freezer, 11+ year (POS) fridge (that I have hated since the day we got it). I think we have decided we would like a french door fridge with ice/water in the door. The wife is leaning towards stainless steel, but the exterior look really doesn't matter to me, as I am more concerned with functionality/convienence/reliability, than what it looks like from the outside.

So, my question is, do any of you ROC members currently own a french-door style fridge? If so, how long have you had it, are you happy with it, and have you have had any problems with it? If you are not satisfied with the current one you have, if you had to do it all over again, which one would you buy? If you are happy with your fridge, what brand/model number is it? Oh, and which fridge with which ice system seems to work better...the ones with the ice maker in the door or in the fridge itself? Seems to me the ones with the ice maker in the door would free up more space, just by looking at them, but do you miss the door storage that is taken up by the ice maker?

I have been going over the reviews (professional and consumer) for a few days now and I am getting information overload. Just about the time I think I have it narrowed down, I read not-so flattering reviews, and I start rethinking my decision.

Anyway, any real-world experience from fellow ROC members would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if you have side by side, and really love it...and I mean this in the nicest way possible...I don't care. I don't want to hear about your side-by-side...I really just want to hear from people who own french door fridges. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
We looked at these when we bought our last one. We never found one we liked. eveyone we looked at had big plus and minus......
We bought another top freezer fridge.

Although I did like the ones with the freezer on the bottom.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have a Samsung RF266AEWP, 26 cuft.,white, french door with bottom freezer. Has inside water, water filter, lower ice maker. Gained door space by not having outside water and ice. 6 months old no problems. Bought online, truck delivery, from number1direct.com.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Wife wants one really bad, I would like one but our current fridge is less than 4 years old. Sears ad beginning Thursday has the LG French door stainless with 2, yes 2, freezer drawers for a door busting price of $1,200. I went to our local Sears Thursday to look and probably purchase, they did not have any in stock and said they would not have any, bait and switch I guess!!i

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We just got a Whrilpool Fridge with top freezer, stainless steel finish. My advise, go look at them, I ordered ours off the internet good price, but since I did not touch and look at it first I'm stuck with it. First, Stainless steel is HARD to keep ANY fingerprints or marks OFF. If you don't wipe it down almost everyday it looks terrible. Second, this model only has Stainless steel on the doors. The sides are painted a mix of black and grey. Third a few friends and family have the French door models, for the most part they love em.
Best of luck deciding on a model to fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
You should also consider the dual door on top with a bottom freezer. Tons of space and it works really well. If you go stainless, get either brushed or coated....a lot easier to clean than bare metal.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
We have a Samsung 28.5 cu. ft. french door with the freezer on the bottom. They now have the same model with a flex zone drawer below the refrigerator and above the freezer for snacks, etc. I would highly recommend this configuration. We have owned it about one year with no problems. We have the ice and water in the door which is handy. Our model we got from Lowes also had an ice maker in the freezer compartment, great for when we need a bunch of ice. As far as stacking things in the freezer, I think the pullout shelf in the freezer alleviates much of the "piling on" problem. Here is the example of our favorite.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2010/05/08/rf4287harsxaa/RF4287HARS.pdf

Even though our fridge is large by comparison, my wife is not certain that it holds more than her old side by side. I like it much better because everything is at eye level and easy to see and to reach. To be perfectly honest, I have heard the Samsung units are difficult to repair. Do some reading on this website and it will point out some real world issues with all appliances. It will use much less electricity than your older model.

http://applianceguru.com/

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
My wife is after one of the "freezer on the bottom" models. I'm thinking the bottom freezer can be a bit of a problem with things stacked over top of other things making it difficult to find what you need. We have a "side-by-side" now and it's OK for locating things.

Am I off-base with this thinking?

Anyone else suffer from Refridgerator Coma? :act014:

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
This is the LG model that is supposed to be on sale at Sears if you can find one!! Seems to be a bait and switch. My Sears store is a franchise store and the ad came out in the local paper with the local store's address. They seemed totally ignorant of the sale!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
This is the LG model that is supposed to be on sale at Sears if you can find one!! Seems to be a bait and switch. My Sears store is a franchise store and the ad came out in the local paper with the local store's address. They seemed totally ignorant of the sale!!
I wonder waht happens if you push the 'buy' button? Will it allow purchase and delivery by your local store if you the purchase through the internet?
That does seem very cheap for a '4 door' fridge.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder waht happens if you push the 'buy' button? Will it allow purchase and delivery by your local store if you the purchase through the internet?
That does seem very cheap for a '4 door' fridge.

That's kinda what The Home Depot is doing right now. They have a bunch of "internet specials" on fridges. You order on-line and they deliver from a local store.

I am going to go and look at what they have in stock to get a better idea of what they have. I am leaning towards one of the LG models and I like the Maytag Ice2O fridges.

I think they are all basically the same, it's just that some of a few different features than others. As I noted above, some of the things I want are water/ice in the door (even though they take up space) and I want the one that has the "flip seal" instead of just the rubber seal in the door. Talking with a local guy at a local mom and pop place, he said the regular door seals wear out in french door fridges, and they can be costly to replace. He said the "flip seal" actually seals the door better and they don't wear out nearly as fast as the regular seals.

Oh, and on a side note...I think our old fridge heard me talking about getting a new one, because the ice maker just quit. Another reason to get a new fridge.

Oh, one other question...I suppose I could go look this up...but is that "cash for clunker appliances" thing still going on?

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Sears has been doing that for a long time. Plus, it will tell you if your local store has it in stock or not. They can back order it, and your local store will email you when it's available. This way you can take advantage of internet only sales.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Just Googled Home Depot and they have the same LG as Sears for $1,198 and it states free shipping. Fine print says to add $249 to your cart for shipping!! Hmmmmm!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
We bought a Kitchen bottom freezer with french doors stay away from bottom freezer, it's just like one big drawer to dump stuff in to never be found again. No shelves to put things on like fast cold beer or pop. POS.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
During the late 70s I lived in a house that had a complete GE Americana Kitchen. The house was once owned by a large GE dealer in the area so it was equipped with one of everything from the GE line including two cooking surfaces, dual oven range, and two dishwashers.

I remember this refrigerator was so easy to use.

www.retrorenovation.com

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
LG must have made a million of the 1/2 priced French Door refrigerators. Sale paper from HH Gregg this morning has the same for $1198. Found one a Home Depot last night, the finger prints and smudges on the SS is an immediate turn off. Our current side by side has the painted "look like stainless" and I like it much better. Agree with Mtnman, the drawer is just not comparable to the shelves in the side by side.

·
Registered
888 Posts
We've had a Sears, Kenmore Elite, french door fridge for over 4 years. It is manufactured for Sears by LG. It has been great. Ice and water dispenser through the door works well. Very roomy. Freezer is easy to find things in because it all slides out in the drawer and has a light. Not the same as old bottom freezers you had to bend down just to look in. Wife likes it much better than the side by side that is now in the basement.

·
Registered
671 Posts
View attachment 52815 We bought them all for this house. 4 Door fridge (yes they made them 2 years ago), Stove, Over the stove micro with the door that opens upward and tray turns and slides left and right. Enamel interor on micro and stove, blue. Dishwasher, tub with lights inside, stainless interior, all the top of LG's line. I learned years ago you get what you pay for. So far 2 years later not one complaint.
LG front loaders are now 5 years old and have never seen a repair man either.

Hope this helps. If you want photo's of the others let me know.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts