Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Glad everything worked out for you in the end. Hopefully you will be getting your new LG for the New Year. I believe LG is the company making the Kenmore Elites-but of course all models differ to some degree.

Good shopping and persistence.

Did you happen to see this thread about the LG refrigerator?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=525197&t=2366359

Did you actually get to see one in person?

Brad
Yeah, everything worked out and, as I said, I don't mind waiting for the price I got it at. No, I did not see that thread, and yes we went and looked at them in person. I'm glad we did because, while many of them are a lot alike, some of them are a little different. The wife and I must have looked at 2 dozen fridges, before we got it narrowed down to 2-3 models. We like this particular model, because it had the taller water/ice area (you can set a pitcher in there and fill it up), I liked the ice maker in the door (that frees up shelf space), and few of the other options were nice.

One of the sales guys I talked to was selling the virtues of LG's "linear compressor". He said they are proported to be much more reliable, quieter, and more energy efficient. I had never heard of the LC before and I did a little digging on the internet and what I found out about the LG linear compressor is this...

"LG Electronics' linear compressor is designed to be more efficient than traditional cooling technologies. Instead of the typical reciprocating compressor found in most refrigerators, the linear compressor does not require a crank mechanism to change the rotary motion into a reciprocating motion. This reduces the compressor's energy loss and improves the motor efficiency."

I am not an appliance expert, so I really don't know what this is gonna mean to me, but if our new fridge is quieter, more energy efficient, and more realiable than my current fridge...it's a win-win-win in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I am sure the drive for less energy use is the biggest reason for linear compressors. Even though a quality compressor of the old style could last a decade or two, more reliability + less noise are certainly nice benefits as well. Congrats on your new fridge!

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Sale ads today from Sears, Best Buy, and Electronic express have several good buys on French door fridges!!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Sale ads today from Sears, Best Buy, and Electronic express have several good buys on French door fridges!!
Ummm....that's great, but I don't want to look...I'll just get hacked off if they are offering the fridge I just bought for less money...! :act024: Seriously, I just checked and the price on the fridge I purchased, even on sale at Sears, is still about $500 more than I paid at the HD.

Seriously though...has anybody else that has purchased a major appliance been contacted by the company who makes the thing? I got home today and there was a message on my answering machince, from somebody from LG, thanking me for the purchase of the fridge. The message also asked if I ever had any questions or concerns, call so-and-so, at extension so-and-so, and they gave me their normal working hours.

I mean, I have gotten e-mails from stores where I have purchased items, and even got a card from the salesperson that I worked with when I bought my last vehicle...but I've never gotten a call from the manufacturer of an appliance I have purchased. Kinda cool if you ask me! It would have been even cooler if, to show their appreciation, they loaded up the fridge with some micro-brews prior to delivery....! :act024:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
...but I've never gotten a call from the manufacturer of an appliance I have purchased. Kinda cool if you ask me! It would have been even cooler if, to show their appreciation, they loaded up the fridge with some micro-brews prior to delivery....! :act024:
Actually what it means is since they now have a business relationship with you they can direct market you, including telemarketing. You've already been data mined :act030:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
One final note. I sent an e-mail to HD asking if anybody could tell me when they would be getting any more inventory in, as I wanted to purchase a fridge from them...and I got 2 reply e-mails and a phone call from the manager of the Home Depot store closest to me...asking if they could answer any of my questions and/or how they could assist me in my purchase.

Wow...this is a huge change from the kind of experience I had with them a while back when I was building my deck. I couldn't get anybody to call me back and nobody seemed to give a flying fork about me. In contrast with this fridge purchase...They have been very responsive and seemed very eager to please. I'm sure, in this economy, they are happy to get each and every sale...but it's nice to feel appreciated by the place where you are spending your money.
I sent an email to the THD contact address complaining about your earlier "out-of-stock" experience. I got an email back from a concerned associate shortly afterward. Who knows if it helped... :act006:

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I sent an email to the THD contact address complaining about your earlier "out-of-stock" experience. I got an email back from a concerned associate shortly afterward. Who knows if it helped... :act006:
I did the same thing. I went to the HD website to check inventory and they were still showing the fridge I wanted was not in stock. Frustrated, I went to their contact information, filled out the contact page with my contact information, and in the comment section, I voiced my concerns/frustrations. The next day I had two e-mails from HD, somebody from their "major appliance" department called and left me a message on my home answering machine, and I got an e-mail from the store manager at the store where I had shopped.

I was impressed with that. Like I said above, I had a VERY unsatisfying experience with HD when I built my deck a couple years ago; where nobody seemed to give a crap, I couldn't get anybody to return my phone calls, and the left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing. I would call, have somebody tell me one thing, call back, and have somebody else tell me something completely different. They may have gotten enough complaints, because it seems their communication between departments/suppliers is much better, and they seem to give a crap if you are happy or not with your experience there.

I called one of my local HD stores and ordered my fridge over the phone, but I didn't have my HD card with me, so I had to physically go into the HD store to prove I am who I am. When I went to the service counter, I had to wait a bit, but once the person working the service counter was free, the final purchase process took about 45 seconds.

Long story short, I am very happy and have been very impressed with the staff at HD, during this appliance purchase process.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I am one happy camper. FINALLY got the fridge I ordered in Nov. I can only say two words about it...Sue Wheat! It's huge inside, has the ice and water in the door, I like the LED lighting on the inside...Just plain nice.

OK, one other question for you appliance guru's out there...what is the best thing for cleaning stainless steel applicances. I bought some stuff a while ago, but it leaves an oily residue and, to tell you the truth, it doesn't make the fridge look "clean".

I have done a little research on the net. I can tell you there are a lot of stainless steel cleaners/polishers out there. Of what I read the Simple Green Stainless and Weiman cleaner/polish have a lot of good reviews. Anyway, if any of you have a stainless steel appliance and have found a good cleaner, please pass the name along so I can go and pick some up.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
To make a long story short. The in laws bought a house that came with a stainless steel Kenmore Elite French door bottom freezer. Mom-in-law got a white french door LG from her cousin so now she had to many refrigerators. Being the resourceful son-in-law, I offered our 11 year old side by side for their garage and just happen to take the stainless steel fridge of their hands (luckily she hats stainless steel). Anyhow, to answer your question, Weimer makes stainless steel wipes (kinda like those Lysol wipes). As long as you wipe with the grain, it actually does a really good job. Stainless steel is a pain in the butt, but it also looks good all cleaned up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks Cowboysfan...like I said, I did a little research on the net and it seems as if there are a lot of positive comments about the Weinman line of stainless steel cleaners/polishes. I may have to check those wipes out. I see it comes in a spray bottle too. Might have to try the spray also.

I need to get some of this stuff soon....my 9 year old daughter loves our new fridge (she drinks a lot of water and loves the ice/water in the door) and cannot keep her hands off of it...literally...she has to touch it every time she walks by...so I need some of this stuff...ASAP! :act024:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I can totally relate to having kids who cant seem to use the handles and put there fingers all over the stainless steel. Except one problem...mine are 17 and 12....grrrrrrrrrrrr...Kids, you just gotta love'm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I buy Samsung Appliance RF28JBEDBSG refrigerator for my home. It has great capacity of 27.8 cu and it has foot showcase door with metal cooling, flexzone drawer and it measures 35.75W by 68.87H by 36.5D. It works awesome for me. You will surely enjoy the high grade door for quick access.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts