Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what this is or refers to?

I've heard of cold air intakes. Cold air intakes are devices that are installed onto your air intake line and chills the air before hitting your engine. The colder air creates more horsepower (the colder the air, the more air that can be forced into the cylinders - more air, more fire, more horsepower).

It would be awsome if the Ridgeline came stock with a cold air intake (some of the Acuras do), but I'm not exactly sure what a fresh air intake is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, I've watched the video about this a few times, and here is what I gather.

Have you seen on the new computers where there is essentially a funnel, with the small end on the processor, and the large end up against the vented side of the case? The idea is that the heat from the processor will be funnelled directly out of the computer.

The Fresh air intake works in reverse. It has "air catchers" in the grill that will funnel a steady stream of fresh air into the engine. Cramming more air into the engine allows more torque during high temerature or high rpm conditions - like towing.

They have made this a truck in every sense of the word - not a car with a bigger shell on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you should see it, it's pretty cool looking, essentialy just a plastic tube with a big (and I mean big) mouth that goes from just under the hood and above the grille to the intake, this beast will definetely be getting cold air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ridgelinerollin said:
Does anyone know what this is or refers to?

I've heard of cold air intakes. Cold air intakes are devices that are installed onto your air intake line and chills the air before hitting your engine. The colder air creates more horsepower (the colder the air, the more air that can be forced into the cylinders - more air, more fire, more horsepower).
I have never seen a system like this. In my experience, a cold air intake has always referred to a system that draws fresh air from outside of the [very hot] engine bay. As you said, the cool air is denser and can therefore be mixed with a greater amount of fuel -- generating more power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with what was said above, however Honda has said that they have patented the Fresh Air Intake. How can they patent something that has existed for years if it is the same as a cold air intake? I am curious if leaves will be an issue, with the opening being so, well, open it may catch stuff and leave it in the air box... On a cold air intake the filter is at the base of the tube so this is not an issue... Thinking into it a little further, maybe the difference is that cold air intakes bring in cold air but do not "jam" it in like the one on the Ridgeline will. Imagine going 60 MPH all that air will be pushed into the intake.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
jauten1 said:
Thinking into it a little further, maybe the difference is that cold air intakes bring in cold air but do not "jam" it in like the one on the Ridgeline will. Imagine going 60 MPH all that air will be pushed into the intake.

Maybe if you left the hood open this would happen :) Looking at the system air is not going to be pushed in. There are holes/slots in the top cover that's under the hood that the outside air is drawn from. There are two strips of weather stripping on the hood to seal the air intake system so that it draws air from these holes/slots and not from the engine compartment. When the hood is closed there's no direct path to the outside air, rather it enters thru the grill then up thru the slots and into the intake. You can see the hole/slots in this pict near the bottom:

http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/honda/Honda_Ridgeline_RTL_2006_064.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
hi........

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
there are no cold air intakes, there is only ambient air intakes unless you use some sort of chemical refrigerant or some other method to cool the outside air temps. Like filling your intake with dry ice that some kits have a space for. Actually most of the cold air intakes are positioned lower to the ground and suffer from the heat radiating from the asphalt.

I have used nitrous oxide to cool down intercooler temps and water spray ect and used dry ice in some mustang projects, but those are for short 1/4 mile runs in general.

what there referring to is airflow diverted from the front grill area directly into the filter box assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts