Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching here I ordered a used Kenwood from ebay and succeeded in installing it with wiring and dash kits. However I am having trouble playing from USB. Movies formatted as mp4 (mpeg4) aren't showing up from the unformatted memory stick filled from my iMac. I have found others with the same issues on the web but haven't found the solution yet.

Besides from buying a newer iMac with DVD burner- what can I do?
Certainly someone has used it successfully here.

(older ~DDNX5140 Kenwood unit here)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
assuming sortware updates are for the garmin NAV in the Kenwood.
the NAV works great but have read where other people insert a USB memory stick with appropriately formatted media files and can't get them found by their Kenwood unit.
As in, "no media files found".
searching I find that appropriate format is "mpeg 4" and hopefully mp4 is equivalent/same?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
the NAV works great but have read where other people insert a USB memory stick with appropriately formatted media files and can't get them found by their Kenwood unit.
searching I find that appropriate format is "mpeg 4" and hopefully mp4 is equivalent/same?
Download the firmware from the Kenwood site to a USB thumb drive and load to your HU.

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/audiofile/index.php?lang=english&model=DNX5140

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/index.php

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Generically speaking OEMs release updates & bug fixes outside of content/DB files. Dunno about Kenwood specifically, but some even provide excellent release notes. Start there.

Looks like forum member Heli pointed towards that. Recommend following his lead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heli's first link nailed it. After my initial searching and reading my brain changed what I thought I had read and I got the required video format wrong.
Should have been mpg/mpeg-1. Now it shows up and reads the file from USB okay.

Unfortunately the new wiring kit I have installed was not the same as the used wiring that was on the unit.
I had noticed that the original had a suspiciously long wire (park switch wire?) and the new connector had a park switch wire located on a different pin.
And of course it won't play videos without rewiring a more correct connector. Top it off I had just tossed the old wire/connector.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Heli's first link nailed it. After my initial searching and reading my brain changed what I thought I had read and I got the required video format wrong.
Should have been mpg/mpeg-1. Now it shows up and reads the file from USB okay.

Unfortunately the new wiring kit I have installed was not the same as the used wiring that was on the unit.
I had noticed that the original had a suspiciously long wire (park switch wire?) and the new connector had a park switch wire located on a different pin.
And of course it won't play videos without rewiring a more correct connector. Top it off I had just tossed the old wire/connector.
I had a Kenwood in my 2011 and miss it, especially for the Garmin. Way better than the stock nav. I had a rocker switch in the dash blank to allow rear headrest DVD to be watched while driving. Later I went with a "Park Brake Bypass".
A park brake bypass may be the solution to your problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-DVD...980-DNX6960-/110787928817?hash=item19cb79a2f1

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44250

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually bought a parking switch bypass relay but never used it, thinking just grounding the wire would be sufficient on a Kenwood.

Looking back (via your link) I relied heavily on your original post on your installation.

Thanks lots :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts