Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2022 RTL-E in Obsidian Blue Pearl November, 2021. I previously owned a 2012 Tacoma that I bought new in December, 2011. Nothing wrong at all with the Tacoma, but it was a compromise vehicle at the time for a variety of reasons.

I was always interested in the Ridgeline, especially the G2s. The Tacoma is a TRUCK and has a very stiff ride and a weird seating position. I had thought about trading it in for a Ridgeline, but there was nothing ever wrong with it and I HATE dealing with car dealers. Anyway, I was going to change the 4 year old battery and thought before I did that I would try some of the car buying services like CarMax and Carvana to see what I could get for it. Carvana was clearly the best - they gave me $4,000 less than I paid for it almost exactly 10 years ago!

So, I sold my Tacoma to Carvana and went looking for a new Ridgeline. We have two other vehicles so I was not in any great rush. I was immediately put off by the arrogance of most dealers around here (northern Ohio) with their markups over MSRP and worthless add-ons ($995 for mandatory paint sealant? - come on, no way). I finally found a dealer who sells for MSRP (actually $100 under) without any add-ons. My RTL-E was built, but was "in-transit" and not supposed to arrive until late November or early December, 2021.

Fortunately, my RTL-E arrived early and I have about 300 miles on it so far. WOW, what a nice vehicle! I can honestly say it is far nicer than I expected in terms of smoothness, ride quality, and comfort. It is EXACTLY the vehicle I wanted. I am older (over 65) so I needed comfort more than pure "truck" ability. I hope to keep my RTL-E at least as long as the Tacoma.

Many thanks to those that run these forums and to those who take the time to post. They have been invaluable to me for the different vehicles I own.

The new:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

The old:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am enjoying the smooth ride and appreciate all the new electronics (new to me — old to others here moving from something newer than a 14-year old vehicle).
V2500, I experienced the same thing 🙂 I read and saw some reviews that the infotainment/driver display system was "old" (such as 2022 Ridgeline RTL-E no torque display and older... ). However, it seems just fine to me coming from a 10 year old vehicle 🤗

Being old enough to have had cars from the "malaise era" I am really impressed with the vehicles today. I had a 1983 Ford Ranger that I bought new that had automatic choke problems from day 1. It was always either flooding the engine or not closing at all. After the second carb/choke assembly replacement under warranty, I gave up and rigged one of those lawn mower throttle cables to bypass the "automatic" stuff so I could control the choke from the cab. Worked fine after I that. So, I am still even impressed with fuel injection systems, let alone all of this other electronic stuff 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
May I ask what you got in trade in value from Carvana? I'm on the fence as to go with the convenience of just trading my Tacoma in with the dealer or trying to deal with Carvana, Carmax, Vroom.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
pegken, I am from northern Ohio, so what I experienced may be different in other parts of the country. First, my 2012 Tacoma was a double cab, long bed (6'), 4wd, SR5, with 76,000 miles, one owner. The long bed makes it somewhat of a "unicorn". I tried several of the buying sites (Carvana, Carmax, Webuyanycar, etc) in early summer and Carvana was clearly the best with a little over $24,000. I really wasn't seriously thinking of selling/trading it because of the new car "shortage" and the hassle of trying to find a Ridgeline.

But, I just kept thinking, "I paid $29,000 for the Tacoma 10 years ago (the sticker was a little over $31,000) and they are going to give me $24,000 for it". I decided to just keep it until I bought a new battery for it in October, 2021 and was looking at it and I thought "well, before I put the new battery in it I will try Carvana and the others one more time". Carvana came back with $24,906 this time (how they calculate that number is a mystery) and gave me a month to accept it (mid-November). I thought "this is insane - it only cost me $4,000 to have my Tacoma for 10 years!". I also thought that this is never going to happen again.

In Ohio, as I suspect in many states, the car dealers have wrangled legislation in their favor to that if you trade in a car, you don't have to pay sales tax on the trade-in. So, I needed around $23,500 trade-in to make it equal to the $25,000 Carvana offer. I tried talking to several Honda dealers and could not get anything over $19,000 in trade. Of course, this was without a specific Ridgeline to buy.

So, I decided to sell to Carvana and started looking to see if I could find a Ridgeline. What I found was that even though there are not many Ridgelines in stock at dealers, they are coming in. The problem was that (3 dealers told me this) they could not order exactly the vehicle I wanted - they were at the mercy of Honda shipping them whatever model they had coming out of the factory. I am not sure if this is really true or not.

Trying to work with dealers was an exercise in lies, frustration, rip-offs, and illogic. Most seem to be using the new car "shortage" to their absolute advantage without regard for any repeat business. But, that is an entirely different story. I finally found a reasonable dealer that had a blue RTL-E coming in. MSRP minus $100 and no add-ons. I would rather not post the dealer name here, but I will send you a private message with their name and my contact.

The Carvana process was excellent - I accepted their offer, sent them pics of the odometer, title and my driver's license they required, and set the date for them to come pay me and pick it up. They came out, gave me the check first and then looked at the Tacoma a little and started it up to see if there were any check engine lights - they did not even test drive it. The only hitch was that they were using a third-party towing company to get the Tacoma and they were supposed to come out later that day - they never showed up. Carvana put a lockbox on the Tacoma so I could no longer move it (it was no longer mine). This was on a Tuesday and by Friday, no one had picked it up. I called Carvana and they said sometimes the towing companies cancel and don't tell them. They contacted another and they picked it up that day. What was nice was that my Ridgeline came in early and I was able to sell my Tacoma on a Tuesday and picked the Ridgeline up on a Thursday.

I did have to decide at one point if it might be better to just keep the Tacoma and wait things out until sometime next year when (hopefully) you can get discounts on Ridgelines. However, looking through ridgelineownersclub forums seemed that $4,000 or so off of MSRP were about the best deals on RTL-Es in the past. Plus, I suspect that dealers are getting the customers "trained" that MSRP is a good deal, so I doubt they will be any hurry to discount even when the supply improves. It just made more sense to me go for it now rather than wait, plus I have an extra car so I could afford to wait for a Ridgeline to become available after I sold the Tacoma.

Perhaps too much information, but I like explain a much as I can. Hope this helps.

Paul from Ohio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In Missouri if you buy a new (or used) car and sell an old car you can apply for a sales tax refund on the new car. Doesn't matter if its a dealer or not. You can sell you're car before or after the purchase of the new car and get the tax offset. So the dealers have no advantage here. So this is Ohio? Sounds like an unfair taxation to me.
Pilk, as far as I know, Ohio does not have any such provision. From Rule 5703-9-36 - Ohio Administrative Code | Ohio Laws (bolding is mine): "For the examples involving sales of new vehicles, sales tax is calculated by subtracting the applicable trade-in allowance from the total vehicle price to arrive at a "tax base." The "tax base" is multiplied by the applicable sales tax rate, seven per cent in each example. Calculation B in each example reflects this calculation. For the examples involving sales of used vehicles, sales tax is calculated on the total vehicle price as Ohio law does not allow a deduction from price for the value of a trade-in. "

I would agree it is unfair to the consumer as it is a "gift" to new car dealers and makes it easier for them to low-ball you on a trade. Carvana was just so convenient for me and I just did not want to have to drive 170 mile round trip just so the dealer I bought from could give me a solid trade-in value. It just depends on your situation at the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts