Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have been looking over the Cover threads (Thanks all for posting) and am just about committed to buying a Diamondback SE Black for my Scarlet RTL-E. I did ask Diamondback if they had a front storage bin (they call them a cross bin) for the ridgeline and the answer was no and there was not a plan, due to the ridgeline bed design, to offer one.

I was thinking IF one was out there and the fact the front storage cover (there are others that do this also) is locked, it would provide a secure area to store items even with a non locking tailgate.

Is there ANY soft or hard storage units on the market for the Ridgeline that could work. If Diamondback HAD one, with the cover closed and locked, it would be impossible to get any items out of it and would be secure.

Any thoughts?

Hawk

·
Registered
219 Posts
All,

I have been looking over the Cover threads (Thanks all for posting) and am just about committed to buying a Diamondback SE Black for my Scarlet RTL-E. I did ask Diamondback if they had a front storage bin (they call them a cross bin) for the ridgeline and the answer was no and there was not a plan, due to the ridgeline bed design, to offer one...

Any thoughts?

Hawk
Hawk, the DiamondBack SE is also my focus. Actually, even though I have been looking at every review and comparing notes with DB users here (RoadRdr, UnicornKaz, etc.) and conversing with DB sales support, I was NOT aware that the 'cross bin' DB sells would NOT fit the SE on the RL. That is very disappointing. Just as disappointing was the confirmation from DB that they would "never" support their model 270 (with front, side-opening lids) for the RL, although they were willing to sell me TWO units... one SE for RL and one model 270 for a Colorado... if I wanted to try to engineer a hybrid. Ah... no. Given tools and such that I carry in my truck, I still need the security and weatherproofness that I believe only the DB offers. So I will probably go with the SE (although less in a hurry than if the model 270 was available). And I will probably work with a local sheet-metal shop or something to try to customize the storage options, both for the front and rear. Like you said, if made correctly, it should provide security for items stored in under-lid bins, regardless of an unlocked tailgate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PhatDaddy, ROBSRTL

Thanks for the reply. Yea... it is disappointing and like you, I have a sheet metal guy that said he will look at it.

I am thinking of the SE BUT the HD has some items I like for what I do. I run a Radio Station that does High School football, Baseball, etc. I can see setting up the HD with a small table and 2 announcers to call a game. The RTL-E and 150W converter will be more then enough to drive our remove gear for a baseball game. THe SE with a limit of 400 lbs would be over stressed. The 1600 lb capability of the HD would work out. Just got to keep the guys from "Falling Overboard" lol.

The entire Cover thread, while a lot of good information, can leave you still trying to figure out what works for you. I dont like the pull down, spring loaded cover lock (like the Honda cover). I do like the ones that a single cable pull and the cover is open. Easy on and off is important. THe DB SE is not bad... but not perfect.

The drainage on the rails of some just seems troublesome. Shouldnt the cover keep ALL water out, why do I need a catch rail? THe DB seems to do this well with the center drain to the side config. But, ther front opening on the DB seems a bit tight to the cab when fully open.

You can second guess all of these covers... and the prices from $350 up.... Ouch....

Good hunting all....

Hawk

·
Registered
219 Posts
PhatDaddy, ROBSRTL
Thanks for the reply. Yea... it is disappointing and like you, I have a sheet metal guy that said he will look at it.
...The SE with a limit of 400 lbs would be over stressed. The 1600 lb capability of the HD would work out. Just got to keep the guys from "Falling Overboard" lol.
Well, I suppose you could purchase the ATV 'bumper bars' for the DB HD... and attach a 10-12" plywood 'railing' to the angled bars... to keep someone from falling off the deck of your impromptu broadcasting platform.

... Easy on and off is important. The DB SE is not bad... but not perfect.
Yep... unless each of us builds our own, I think 'perfect' is an unlikely goal. And the SE and esp. the HD are pricey. But I expect to have this a long time, and like you I expect to 'customize' it to meet my specific (and certainly not universal) needs.

But, the front opening on the DB seems a bit tight to the cab when fully open.
Yeah... a bit tight... but since the bed is not a separately moving piece, I don't see a problem with that. Well, I guess if something (an arm, etc.) or someone (a child, etc.) got caught between the cab and the closing front DB opening... yeah that could be an issue. But with spring/gas assist cylinders, I don't see that as an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yeah... a bit tight... but since the bed is not a separately moving piece, I don't see a problem with that. Well, I guess if something (an arm, etc.) or someone (a child, etc.) got caught between the cab and the closing front DB opening... yeah that could be an issue. But with spring/gas assist cylinders, I don't see that as an issue for me.
Hey guys ...:nerd:

About the front panel...there's safety built in :wink:

There an addition piece/slot that goes on the driver side air shock.

It serves some purposes...When 1st unlock the panel..it open half full ( due to safety piece )..you need to nudge it in order to FULLY open like the back panel...etc.

This keep the panel from ripping open by accidental while in motion and also prevent the above hypothetical scenario about being injured. :wink: ( cannot closed without nudging the safety piece..etc. )

If you need to open wide any of the 2 panel...open it past 90 degrees..slide and fold & secured it down...or stow away. :wink:

About the post that worry about the front being too close to the cab...there's no need to worry:
The panel open "backward" towards the rear...even if you are right up against the cab with a millimeter of space..being it opens backward will clear of any worry..should it not ?? :wink::nerd:

Cheers !

·
Registered
110 Posts
All,

I have been looking over the Cover threads (Thanks all for posting) and am just about committed to buying a Diamondback SE Black for my Scarlet RTL-E. I did ask Diamondback if they had a front storage bin (they call them a cross bin) for the ridgeline and the answer was no and there was not a plan, due to the ridgeline bed design, to offer one.

I was thinking IF one was out there and the fact the front storage cover (there are others that do this also) is locked, it would provide a secure area to store items even with a non locking tailgate.

Is there ANY soft or hard storage units on the market for the Ridgeline that could work. If Diamondback HAD one, with the cover closed and locked, it would be impossible to get any items out of it and would be secure.

Any thoughts?

Hawk
I was disappointed to read this, and quite surprised as I had talked to Jordan at Diamondback and he had told me that both the cross bin and the side bins were available on the Ridgeline and had even given me the pricing. So, I just called Jordan and he did confirm everything that has been posted here. I guess that they had made some and weren't satisfied with with the way everything fit and made the decision not to offer it vs. continuing to refine it. Probably were looking at potential sales vs. warranty issues and decided it wasn't worth it. I decided to place my order for the black SE cover for my deep scarlet pearl RTL-T. I agree with some of the other comments posted, not sure the perfect cover is out there, but this one sure meets allot of the requirements and I didn't want to give up any bed depth with a BakFlip solution.
I will follow on with dynolock or pop n lock tailgate locks. I also plan on getting the bedrug for the floor and tailgate. I'm tired of not having a cover and cleaning the snow and ice out of the bed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the DB and I'm also currently on my fairly first long distance road trip in the RL, NJ to Florida. While thinking about packing and prepping for the drive and luggage security I've come up with a couple ideas. First, I rigged a bit of a security setup on the tailgate using a bicycle/motorcycle security cable to the DB mid-mount and tailgate. I've got a pull apart alarm that will trigger if the tailgate is opened. It's ear piercing. I can connect it all for the overnight hotel stay.

I've got an idea to make a secure compartment in the forward section. I'll work on that after this trip. But except for the lack of a tailgate lock the DB turns the bed into a vault. There's a lot of potential.
I'll also be watching for the PopNLock. And I'll be installing the BedRug when it's available.

FYI - Avg. Fuel is showing 27.2 on our second fill up. :smile:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK.... I have found SOMETHING that is attached on the rail under the window., I do not like the $63 per small hanging tray. Those with the DB SE... Think the weather seal would work with these. I was hopeing some thing bigger.

Luggage Bulkhead tray

The search goes on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK.... I have found SOMETHING that is attached on the rail under the window., I do not like the $63 per small hanging tray. Those with the DB SE... Think the weather seal would work with these. I was hopeing some thing bigger.

Luggage Bulkhead tray

The search goes on.
Took a look at your link, and nah... those dont do it for me - at all. Too small as you said, but also way too fragile for my needs. Reading between the lines regarding feedback from DiamondBack... both on why they don't plan to build the model 270 cover for the RL, and why they will not be building the cross bin for the RL... I get the feeling that:
a) the RL's bed lip (sides, and maybe especially front) differs substantially from most pickups - both in configuration and materials.
b) DiamondBack takes the 'weatherproof' aspects of their covers seriously, and they are unwilling to sell products where the waterproofness might be compromised (either by the cover's possible lack of solid contact with the bed lip, or by issues with their gaskets being impacted by the edges of their own accessory cross bin, due to how it would have to hang on the RL's 'non-standard' bed lip(s).
c) DiamondBack takes their lifetime warranty seriously, so based on items a & b above, they are also unwilling to build/sell products that they feel they can not be assured will be fairly 'bulletproof' for the duration.

Maybe I am giving them too much credit, but I find it hard to fault a company for only building/selling products in which they really believe.

I don't really "have a sheet metal guy", but I will probably go with the DB SE, and probably end up paying way too much to someone local to work with me to build custom bins that meet my preferences. I am thinking (if I can afford the cost of this custom work):
1) Sheet aluminum for low weight and designed around any DB locking rods, etc., as delivered.
2) No impingement or impact on the DB's weather gaskets - which may mean they have to be attached to the RL bed in some way instead of being 'hung' from the bed rails/lips (NOT a preference and could be an impact to 'easy removal, which will be needed for times when the entire cover must be removed).
3) Again, depending on affordability, I imagine a 'bin within a bin' arrangement - to allow shallow bins to nest within deeper bins, and thus also providing better 'a place for everything, and everything in its place' organization.
4) Maybe with built-in handles (or hand grip openings) to allow pulling out individual nested 'tool tray bins', etc. while leaving other larger/deeper bins in place.
5) No bin that blocks me from using the full width and length of the truck bed... at least for a certain height from the bed floor.
6) At least on the front half I want the locking of the DB hatch to effectively lock the bin(s) - locking both access to their contents and locking them from removal, even if the tailgate is opened. If it works like I want, the locking covers may secure everything I need to secure (contents of the bins).. and I may not even need a locking tailgate... although I will probably install the tailgate lock as well.
7) Similar to DB's available side bins, optionally, something similar, and smallish for the rear half, on the sides. May or may not use these.

Just some ideas. I still would prefer side opening front bins (I.e. DB Model 270) each with their own locks. Oh, and locks keyed to the RL... or that open like the RL trunk does... but now I'm dreaming...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PhatDaddy.

You and I are on the same search. I want something that will still allow items to slide under it, easy to remove if I need the truck bed, etc. The DB Cross Bin design really fits the bill, IF they made it for the RL. But like you, got to respect their decision.

In Life, we will always be searching for one Unicorn or another!! lol

Now just to get past the $1500 (includes $150 shipping) for the SE or $1900 for the HD. But since I keep a truck for 14 years or more.... it will pay for itself.

Hawk

·
Registered
110 Posts
PhatDaddy.

You and I are on the same search. I want something that will still allow items to slide under it, easy to remove if I need the truck bed, etc. The DB Cross Bin design really fits the bill, IF they made it for the RL. But like you, got to respect their decision.

Now just to get past the $1500 (includes $150 shipping) for the SE or $1900 for the HD. But since I keep a truck for 14 years or more.... it will pay for itself.

Hawk

I hear both of you. Was locked in to the cross bin with the SE cover, then read the notes and called DB for the official news that it was no longer available. Went ahead and placed the order for the SE, it is the priciest but I think it will be worth it as long as I follow up with a way to lock the tailgate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
PhatDaddy.

I HEAR that! After I got my RL back this morning from the shop and the dreaded recall 'Procedure B' (bed removal) fix, I dropped by a local 'covers' dealer. I described my bin goals and they gave me the name of a trusted local metal-work shop - said if I can design it, they can build it. Now the question is for how much...
I have a line on getting to see the DB in person on the RL of one of our members here who will be in my vicinity soon. I expect to get an SE ordered as soon as possible after that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hear both of you. Was locked in to the cross bin with the SE cover, then read the notes and called DB for the official news that it was no longer available. Went ahead and placed the order for the SE, it is the priciest but I think it will be worth it as long as I follow up with a way to lock the tailgate.
Does anyone know... is the DB cross bin made from aluminum? Are the seams welded, or bolted? Just looking for design tips for my custom bin build.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anyone know... is the DB cross bin made from aluminum? Are the seams welded, or bolted? Just looking for design tips for my custom bin build.

Sure looks like aluminum. Call DB and I'm sure that they would tell you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was droping some items off at a local Goodwill store and came across some storage units that look like over sized Mike Crates. About 24-26 inches long, 14-16 inches deep and 16 inches wide. They were around $2 each. Did not think much about them until I brought up a photo of the TRUCK LUGGAGE BULKHEAD TRAY that run $62 each. Got to thinking, sheet Aluminum, use a Metal Break and put a "J" bend in it, attache to teh bin via short bolts through a backer metal strap. Add a couple of Wooden Dowel rods with rubber cane caps and there we are.

UnicornKaz, you have the DB SE. If you look at Luggage Bulkhead tray and give us your thoughts on if it would seal or cause issue if we came up with somehting like that... it would help.

If I build it up, I will take Pictures.

Hawk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
UnicornKaz, you have the DB SE. If you look at Luggage Bulkhead tray and give us your thoughts on if it would seal or cause issue if we came up with somehting like that... it would help.

If I build it up, I will take Pictures.

Hawk
I don't think it would work... the immediate area behind the glass is flat... those tray designed as an over-hanged.

It "might" work on the side ( only if the over-hanged part match size with our RL side rail's width )...It also might be too thick and cause raise/indent to let water trickle through the rubber liner.:nerd:

It "could" also hanged on to the center piece's enforced beams ( those are about an inch square though )

YMMV ! :nerd::smile:

...If ya gonna design something...one piece the whole width of the bed....let it drape flat "half-way" over the side rail(s), that way the rubber liner have a chance to "over lap" the outer most edge, to help with the seals. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts