Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo I took of the front camera I installed today.

On my last Ridgeline I used a license plate camera for the front. The only problem I had with the front plate camera is that although you can see what's in front of you, you can't really tell how close objects are in relation to the front bumper.

So this time around, I decided to try a mini swiveling camera flush mounted in the upper grille opening, just above the Honda emblem. It's a very stealth and clean location for a camera on this truck.

The install went pretty smooth and I'm very happy with the results.

I haven't washed the truck this week, so it's a little dirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Looks real good. First time I see it on a ridgeline and second time all together. First was on a honda accord coupe that was lowered

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Nice work! :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mirror has 2 inputs. They automatically switch when they sense a signal. The rear camera displays automatically when in reverse.

But I also have a small switch next to my VSA button that allows me to select the front or rear camera at any time. Even while driving.

Here is the front bumper view:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where is your rear view camera? Built into the handle or the one that goes on the tailgate?
My rear camera is installed in a 2009+ tailgate handle that has the camera hole. My truck is a "Steel Blue" 2007. You can order the tailgate handles by color. But... The 2009+ Ridgeline was never produced in Steel Blue. So what I had to do is purchase a black one and have it painted to match.

Can you share the model information for the camera? And how you've got it wired? I would like to add one of these on my 2013 Sport.
The camera model is Crimestopper SV-6819.
http://www.crimestopper.com/Templates/sv-6819.html

The cameras have 2 wires to hook up and one audio output jack.

Black wire = Ground (10mm bolt in the driver side kick panel)
Red wire (see diagram below)

The mirror I have is an OEM style mirror. It has automatic screen brightness adjustment based on ambient light. The brightness is also manually adjustable through use of the button at the center bottom of the mirror. The display in the mirror is completely invisible until the screen activates.

I purchased the mirror on eBay from the seller "drive-aide". It is this exact mirror:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160849162265

The mirror has 3 wires to connect and 2 video input jacks.

Black wire = Ground (10mm bolt in the driver side kick panel)
Red wire = Ignition only +
Green wire = Reverse wire +

I have a single pole double throw switch to select between the two cameras. The switch receives a (+)12v supply to its center pole from the Ridgeline's ignition wire which is a heavy gauge wire at the fuse box (Black wire with a Yellow stripe)

The outer 2 poles of the single pole double throw switch go to the Red wires on the front and rear cameras.

Diodes must be used in a setup like this where you are able to manually activate the rear camera manually at any time. If diodes are not used and you manually turn on the rear camera, the reverse lights will come on. To prevent this, diodes are needed. Using the diodes will isolate the reverse light circuit in the Ridgeline from rear camera the switch output. I show the use of the diodes in the diagram below.

Sorry about my poor drawing skills!

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One additional bit of info about the SV-6819 camera. There is a white wire loop that you can cut or reconnect. What the wire does is reverse the image that the camera will display. This is how you can get a single camera to work as a front or rear camera.

I chose these cameras specifically because they DO NOT have guide lines. I hate guide lines on most generic cameras.

The only guide lines I like are the ones in some of the higher end cars. Those guide lines are integrated into the steering circuitry and the lines move in conjunction with the steering wheel to predict your trajectory based on steering angle.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Very nice DIY instructions. I'm going to instal a double din so I don't really need the mirror but where Cain get one of those handles? For me the black one is fine, because my mirrors are black as well as the handles.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Nice and good job with the circuitry. My only thought to consider is

1) the camera lifespan due to the engine heat. It the camera dies after a bit, may want to consider a heat shield like device behind it

2) the lux rating on the camera has a relatively high LUX rating (1 lux)most of the cameras used around here are 0.5 or less (mine is 0.2 lux). Your higher lux rating may impede you use at night. I the case of the front of the vehicle, you have the advantage on the headlights being on at night so you should be fine.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice DIY instructions. I'm going to instal a double din so I don't really need the mirror but where Cain get one of those handles? For me the black one is fine, because my mirrors are black as well as the handles.
The handle can be ordered from any Honda dealer. I ordered mine from here:
http://www.realhondaparts.com/rwhonda/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RIDGELINE&catcgry2=2009&catcgry3=4DR+RTL+(SUNROOF/NAVI)&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=TAILGATE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Nice and good job with the circuitry. My only thought to consider is

1) the camera lifespan due to the engine heat. It the camera dies after a bit, may want to consider a heat shield like device behind it

2) the lux rating on the camera has a relatively high LUX rating (1 lux)most of the cameras used around here are 0.5 or less (mine is 0.2 lux). Your higher lux rating may impede you use at night. I the case of the front of the vehicle, you have the advantage on the headlights being on at night so you should be fine.
Heat is not an issue. The camera is mounted in FRONT of the radiator. Not behind it. So the engine cooling fan actually draws air over the camera.

The lux rating has not been problematic in any way. The headlights light the front. The reverse lights light the rear. My previous Ridgeline reverse camera had a .1 lux rating. These cameras look about the same in my opinion.

Parking assist cameras in my opinion are for "assistance". There is no replacement for common sense. Relying solely on a camera for parking is not my intention. So the picture does not need to be 1080p.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ok that's what I was looking for but couldn't find. Which black did you order? Formal or nighthawk? I want it to be close to the like flat black that is on the RT not the glossy black because the its not going to match with the rest of the handles and mirrors

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok that's what I was looking for but couldn't find. Which black did you order? Formal or nighthawk? I want it to be close to the like flat black that is on the RT not the glossy black because the its not going to match with the rest of the handles and mirrors
I think either color will be glossy, but if you want a true black I would suggest formal black.

Nighthawk black pearl has a lot of blue in it. In certain light conditions it can almost look like a super dark blue. I had a Honda Accord in nighthawk black pearl. Sweet color but not a true black.

Here is a good example:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Loginfailed got it right. Neither will match your flat black. I got a deal of a formal black (high gloss), buffed it down with a scotchguard pad, and painted it to match.

I too have a dual camera set up. The difference is my second camera is on the back of my trailer. The trailer is the primary input. The tailgate the secondary. Under normal conditions (no trailer) I see the tailgate image. When the trailer is hooked up, the trailer camera is connected and overrides the tailgate so I can now see what is going on behind the trailer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts