Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fix at least the CV axles - the boots were leaking grease and now they're clicking.
I'm just about 160,000 miles and am not looking to work on the front end for hopefully another 20-30,000.

Should I fix up the tie rods, bushings, shocks, and ball joints? Or would you leave it at the axles?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you can, do it all at once. There's no simple answer for this because it depends on how far warn each of those components is, and then there's always a safety issue. Example, at about 220k, the right lower balljoint on our 97 Acura CL sheered completely off while we were at highway speeds...we thought the little clunking we'd heard was minor.

If you do it all at one time, you'll only have to pay for one alignment.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Here is my recommendation. Do it all at the same time. Reason is this, wheel alignment.
You need to get a wheel alignment once the axles are changed and the main reason is that the knuckle/hub is removed from the lower control arm to give you more room to pull the CV axle out.
Get all the parts
  • Sway bar end links
  • sway bar bushings
  • tie rod ends
  • lower control arm

The shop can get the axles and change it out. Changing all this will cost a pretty penny, aka in the $1000+, including parts and labor.

I have 230K miles on my G1 and I still have original shocks and control arms. I will not be getting to them for another year. I am in the process of switching the motor mounts out, but at 160K miles, you should not be needing shocks or control arms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd suggest to inspect the other components and go from there. You can google how to test them (ie... trying to move the wheel from side to side, or up and down). The alignment is a good thing to consider, but if the parts are fine, it might be more cost effective to wait.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think a combination of all your recommendations is a good idea, so I'll probably go ahead and replace the tie rods, cv axles, and control arms. Cheers,
Zach

1 - 5 of 5 Posts