Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 275/45R20 on Rockstar rims with a 2' lift on my 2009 RL RT model. When I bought the truck they had 285/50R20 Nitto dune grappler tires on there and never had an issue on the highway with them. I started noticing that when I would make a turn that my front end would shake pretty bad going thru the turn them stop once I leveled out. I thought it was the tires so I bought some cooper discoverer hit plus tires at the current size as earlier said. They did not fix my problem. Took my truck to Honda they said my right front Axle was very lose so they replaced it under the power train warranty. That fixed my turning issue then I started experiencing classic signs of unbalanced tires on the highway. So long story short I've had my tires re balanced 5 different times and it still doesn't fix my issue on the highway. His didn't happen until they reached my Axle. I told Honda that and they said its not the Axle and that it was my wheels and I need to replace them. I've had shops tell me its not my wheels but that they don't know what it could be
I'm at a loss and looking for some help to resolve this issue. Symptoms I'm experiencing are visible steering wheel vibrations, front end vibrations. Any ideas are welcome. Just don't want to dish out some serious cash to put new rims and tires on my truck and that not fix my problem.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,492 Posts
Surely your dealer's shop put an OEM axle on there, right? If 3rd party, I've seen reports of that causing similar issues.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ye the dealer ordered the part from the database. Im just really at a loss of what it could be. Ive considered just going ahead and buying new wheels and tires the same size but different brand but im not sure that would fix my problem or not.

· Super Moderator
24,492 Posts
You are dealing with multiple mods on your suspension when you have both a lift and the 20's installed.

Do you have hub-centering rings for your 20's?

I'd be curious to know if your issue is resolved by going back to the original 245/65R17 tires and wheels.

Edit: do you have a 2007 or a 2009 RT? Your profiles says one thing and your text in the OP says another.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2009, i had a 2007 but traded it in for the newer model just never got around to changing the year on my profile.
I was going to put the stock wheels back on to see if that resolved the issue, but then i would be really mad also. Plenty of people on this forum have mods just like mine with even bigger tires and they dont have those issues. As for the hub centering rings...? I couldnt tell you. What are they and what are they used for? If i dont have them on my truck would that be causing the issue? How do i check to see if i have them or not?

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Wheel Hub Centric Rings are designed to fill in the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers design their wheels with a centerbore large enough to fit on most cars. Therefore, since wheel manufactures make their center bore large enough to fit most cars, most wheel fitments have a gap between the hub and the centerbore. This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.

Justforwheels.com has some illustrations.

· Super Moderator
24,492 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok got it checked and i do have the hub centering rings on my truck so its not that. If in the event i put the stock wheels back on and that solves my problem. Would that indicate that the wheels i have are bad? and that if i were to purchase other rims and tires at the same size they wouldn't give me the same issue?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, its not my hub centric rings, i have them on there and they are still good. I guess my next step is to put the factory wheels on there to rule out my wheels and tires as the culprits. Anybody had any experience with the Monster XD 18' Rims on 265/60R18 tires? If so let me know how they ride? Any grinding?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.