Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Premature failure I would think at less than 36,000 miles.
There are a few threads on the topic.

We recently moved and I have not had a chance or a good place to change oil, so took it to the local dealer. They found the front engine mount to be broken during their time with the car.

Fortunately, repairable under the power-train warranty.
I can not identify any symptoms at this point but I guess not replacing a bad one will begin stressing the others, and the price is right.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It is a well known design problem and they appear to have no intention of fixing it.

I was told the same thing by my dealer on my 2006 at around 80k miles. I had the extended Honda warranty but ignored their diagnosis and I drove it another 40k miles before I decided to change it myself. I purchased the new part online and when it arrived I got to work.

Pulled the old one and compared it to the new one. No difference. I could not tell how they were determining that the old one was broken. I went ahead and installed the new one since it was already apart. Could tell no difference afterward while driving.

Rollin you may want to ask a few more questions before you spend any time or money. After my experience, the first question I would have is, "Can you show me how/where it is broken?" Depending on their answer, my next question might be, "Is it broken because I have a warranty?"

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is a well known design problem and they appear to have no intention of fixing it.

I was told the same thing by my dealer on my 2006 at around 80k miles. I had the extended Honda warranty but ignored their diagnosis and I drove it another 40k miles before I decided to change it myself. I purchased the new part online and when it arrived I got to work.

Pulled the old one and compared it to the new one. No difference. I could not tell how they were determining that the old one was broken. I went ahead and installed the new one since it was already apart. Could tell no difference afterward while driving.

Rollin you may want to ask a few more questions before you spend any time or money. After my experience, the first question I would have is, "Can you show me how/where it is broken?" Depending on their answer, my next question might be, "Is it broken because I have a warranty?"
Interesting you should say that. I went home telling them I will get it fixed later. After an hour or so it dawned on me, "Hey, this is probably covered under warranty!"
So I called them and sure enough they verified it was and made me an appointment at the same time.
So I guess I am in the 'spending the time' category, although they will be shuttling me back and forth, they generally don't do loaners on 1 day fixes.

I will ask them though how they found it and if I could see it after it's removed.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really. I have noticed a subtle clunk on occasion now that I know it 'might' be bad. But maybe my senses are just working overtime to find something different.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Not really. I have noticed a subtle clunk on occasion now that I know it 'might' be bad. But maybe my senses are just working overtime to find something different.
I'd watch the engine while someone else changes gears (with brake on) from N to D to R, etc. (be sure it's someone you trust.... and haven't made mad recently.....). :act029:
You might see more than the usual front to back excursion when gears are changed, in which case, you do in fact have a bad mount.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, that's what the dealer should show me so I could see 'something'. We will see what they say although I kind of have an idea.

UPDATE: As I reported (and forgot) a few weeks ago, I noticed some vibration through the steering wheel at idle. Not all the time.

This time it was noticed by the technician, saying he did observe a little more engine movement than normal and at those times picked up some vibration through the steering wheel.
In his experience just a faulty front mount can be harder to detect.

I still have 5 months to get others replaced under warranty should they fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts