Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to access the bulbs in the overhead of the front seats? The ones controllable by switches when driving? I tried a search, but found nothing. Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Anyone know how to access the bulbs in the overhead of the front seats? The ones controllable by switches when driving? I tried a search, but found nothing. Thanks!
Are you talking about the LED ‘map lights’ in the Oh console with the moonroof/back window and sunglasses holder?

What are you trying to do?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the LED ‘map lights’ in the Oh console with the moonroof/back window and sunglasses holder?

What are you trying to do?

Well, there are 2 ‘sets’ of lights there: the blue ones that sort of dimly illuminate all the time, and the white ones which are bright, and come one when you press them. (I’ve heard people call both sets ‘map lights’, so I never know what to call them, so people will understand). But the position of them is exactly where you describe, yes.
While I’d love for the constant ones to be green, rather than blue, they aren’t my objective. It’s the white ones.
I’m assuming the white ones are LEDs, but I’m not sure. (The combination of standard bulbs and LEDs in my RTLe is quite frustrating. The rear overheads are standard bulbs, as are the doors. Use all of one kind of bulb, Honda!) I’m trying to know if those are bulbs we can access/replace, or if they are somehow integrated into the lens (as the frustrating ones in the bed are. Why, Honda? Why?!?)

Does this make any sense at all?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well, there are 2 ‘sets’ of lights there: the blue ones that sort of dimly illuminate all the time, and the white ones which are bright, and come one when you press them. (I’ve heard people call both sets ‘map lights’, so I never know what to call them, so people will understand). But the position of them is exactly where you describe, yes.
While I’d love for the constant ones to be green, rather than blue, they aren’t my objective. It’s the white ones.
I’m assuming the white ones are LEDs, but I’m not sure. (The combination of standard bulbs and LEDs in my RTLe is quite frustrating. The rear overheads are standard bulbs, as are the doors. Use all of one kind of bulb, Honda!) I’m trying to know if those are bulbs we can access/replace, or if they are somehow integrated into the lens (as the frustrating ones in the bed are. Why, Honda? Why?!?)

Does this make any sense at all?
The front blue ambient and white dome/map lights are LED and are not replaceable bulbs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front blue ambient and white dome/map lights are LED and are not replaceable bulbs.
Really? No way to access the dome/map bulbs? Dissapointing, but not terribly surprising.
Are we certain about this?
It’s odd that we can access the ones in the back seat (which are, admittedly, far simpler assemblies), but not the front...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Really? No way to access the dome/map bulbs? Dissapointing, but not terribly surprising.
It’s odd that we can access the ones in the back seat (which are, admittedly, far simpler assemblies), but not the front...
Rear and doors use regular bulbs because Honda probably has a couple million in inventory. To keep the bean counters happy they will most likely still be installing them 10 years from now.

If you are set in changing out the LED's just:

1: remove Sunroof/Control/Light assembly
2: Use your handy Dremel Rotary tool and grind out the LED's (LED operating life will out last the vehicle so they are not replaceable bulbs)
3: Glue in your new LED's
4: Wire up your LED's making sure you have the polarity correct.
5: Rehang your MacGyver'd assembly.

Is it worth it?

Note: If you change out the blue LEDs are you going to replace those blue LED's in the door handle area, door tray, cup holders, and foot wells also?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear and doors use regular bulbs because Honda probably has a couple million in inventory. To keep the bean counters happy they will most likely still be installing them 10 years from now.

If you are set in changing out the LED's just:

1: remove Sunroof/Control/Light assembly
2: Use your handy Dremel Rotary tool and grind out the LED's (LED operating life will out last the vehicle so they are not replaceable bulbs)
3: Glue in your new LED's
4: Wire up your LED's making sure you have the polarity correct.
5: Rehang your MacGyver'd assembly.

Is it worth it?

Note: If you change out the blue LEDs are you going to replace those blue LED's in the door handle area, door tray, cup holders, and foot wells also?
Ha ha. I am SO all over this. When I’m done, I’ll also be able to prevent your garden variety nuclear reactor meltdown.

·
Registered
355 Posts
MtMan is correct-the ‘map lights’ in the -E are white LED. I believe the blue lights closer to the windshield, in the cup holders, in the door pockets, etc are called courtesy lights and are also LED.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A few months ago I replaced all the 194 bulbs in the cabin area with T10 LEDs and love it. This includes the courtesy lights in the doors and the rear seat overhead light. I also did the license plate lights. BTW, 2018 RTLE. All look a lot better and provide much brighter lighting. Only issue is the map lights are a slight warmer led than the T10s I installed but I’m ok with that.
In August we bought a 2018 Pilot Elite and I did the same with the interior lights using the same T10s. Did not need to replace license plate bulbs in the Pilot as it came with LEDs from the factory. Got the T10s from Amazon. Picture attached. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Me too (replaced license plate, front door and back dome bulbs with LEDs). I also have backup LEDs but haven't replaced 'em yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few months ago I replaced all the 194 bulbs in the cabin area with T10 LEDs and love it. This includes the courtesy lights in the doors and the rear seat overhead light. I also did the license plate lights. BTW, 2018 RTLE. All look a lot better and provide much brighter lighting. Only issue is the map lights are a slight warmer led than the T10s I installed but I’m ok with that.
In August we bought a 2018 Pilot Elite and I did the same with the interior lights using the same T10s. Did not need to replace license plate bulbs in the Pilot as it came with LEDs from the factory. Got the T10s from Amazon. Picture attached. Good luck!
So you didn’t replace the map light LEDs? Those are going to bother me to no end, not being able to access/change the bulbs...
What about the two lights in the bed? Am I correct that those LEDs are permanent inside the lens assembly? Or is there a way to replace them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so let’s be clearer. These are the bulbs I want to replace. The ones that come on when the door is opened. NOT the ones activated by the switches.
Anyone know how to even get to those?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ok, so let’s be clearer. These are the bulbs I want to replace. The ones that come on when the door is opened. NOT the ones activated by the switches.
Anyone know how to even get to those?
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 406694
Plenty of info on how to remove this if you search here or YouTube but you can’t change those bulbs. They ARE already LED and are soldered in.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: CBR Reaver

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you replaced the front overhead lights? How did you access them/remove the panel? I'm referring to the ones that come on when the doors are opened. How do you get to those? Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
423 Posts
What about the two lights in the bed? Am I correct that those LEDs are permanent inside the lens assembly? Or is there a way to replace them?

Thanks!
The bed lights are easily replaceable. I did mine the second day I owned it. I also added trunk lighting at the same time.

·
Administrator
16,083 Posts
The bed lights are easily replaceable. I did mine the second day I owned it. I also added trunk lighting at the same time.
The incandescent bulbs in the bed lights are replaceable on all trims below the RTL-E. In the RTL-E and BE, they're brighter, whiter, non-replaceable LEDs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts