Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an '09 Ridgeline since the end of 2013, and love everything about the truck except the front seats. I dropped some money to put on Sheepskin seat covers from a company that I used in the past, but it only helped in-town. This summer I took a relatively short 4 hr. drive to my hometown, and the ride was uncomfortable. I've been driving SUVs since 2001, and this is my first truck. The last SUV was a 2002 Toyota Highlander. Bucket seats should be comfortable! I'm thinking about going to a local foam shop, and getting a 2 inch piece of foam cut to fit the curve of the seat, i.e., back and butt - one complete piece, and insert this under the sheepskin. Has anyone ever done this? I asked my auto body about taking out the seats and putting those from a Honda Pilot in it, but b/c of the wiring, airbags, etc, he wouldn't do it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,612 Posts
I've put 210,000 miles in my Ridge. I pretty much spend 5-7 hours per day living in my Ridge. I really like my front RTL seats and I'd even have to say that I can't think of anything I'd change about them.

I have to say I think Honda built those seats for me.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Chiropractor. Something is wrong with you. They're not super comfortable but they're pretty good. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
There are a lot of folks who have complained about the Ridgeline seats, I am one of them. My truck has the seat heaters which may be a contributor. In any event, the bottom seat cushions are very hard and unyielding.

In my case, I did not really notice it at first because for short drives the seats are very comfortable with a good seating position. Then I took a long drive out West and was in the driver's seat for a total of 20+ hours. The seat was putting pressure on my hip joints and by the end of the trip I was just about crippled, ended up with a case of trochanteric bursitis which just plumb wore me out. I have made that same trip many times in other vehicles and never had a problem, but then again none of the other vehicles had seats as rigid as the Ridgeline.

When I returned home it took me a long time to recover, and in the process I looked into having extra foam put into the seats. The upholsterers said there was not enough room for another layer of foam due to the seat heaters, and when I tried just adding a pad on top I quickly learned that if it is thick enough to help, it leaves me with no headroom.

I have since had to make other long drives with the Ridgeline, and the same hip pain resulted each time. I am actually considering trading the truck off at this point to get something with more comfortable seats...

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
There are a lot of folks who have complained about the Ridgeline seats, I am one of them. My truck has the seat heaters which may be a contributor. In any event, the bottom seat cushions are very hard and unyielding.

In my case, I did not really notice it at first because for short drives the seats are very comfortable with a good seating position. Then I took a long drive out West and was in the driver's seat for a total of 20+ hours. The seat was putting pressure on my hip joints and by the end of the trip I was just about crippled, ended up with a case of trochanteric bursitis which just plumb wore me out. I have made that same trip many times in other vehicles and never had a problem, but then again none of the other vehicles had seats as rigid as the Ridgeline.

When I returned home it took me a long time to recover, and in the process I looked into having extra foam put into the seats. The upholsterers said there was not enough room for another layer of foam due to the seat heaters, and when I tried just adding a pad on top I quickly learned that if it is thick enough to help, it leaves me with no headroom.

I have since had to make other long drives with the Ridgeline, and the same hip pain resulted each time. I am actually considering trading the truck off at this point to get something with more comfortable seats...
Would getting seat covers like Wet Okole's neoprene seat cover help or still not enough padding?

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
While not very exciting to look at, I've always thought the Ridgeline's seats were among the most neutrally-comfortable and non-offensive seats I've ever sat in. I'm not a fan of sitting in cars for long periods, but even after 10+ hours of driving in mine a few years back I still felt like I could have gone longer. Every other vehicle I've ever owned I was squirming around after 2 hours.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I also found the cloth seats were to hard form my liking as well.I put a set of Clazzio seat covers on that comes with 1/2 inch of memory foam.I chose them with the suede insert just to keep the seat cover as flexible and soft as possible.I found it was a big improvement my self.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It sucks your seats are causing you pain. I'd find a vehicle that you are comfortable in.
I was going to say that but how do you do this. Say the Ridgeline seat is uncomfortable for a person after just a few hours of driving. This might happen every time so you suspect seat.
So say you trade/buy F-150 that look like bigger more comfortable seats.
But you are just guessing that this vehicles seat would be more comfortable for an individual.
How would a person just really know short test drive would not confirm.
I would hate to have this issue of uncomfortable seats.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I was going to say that but how do you do this. Say the Ridgeline seat is uncomfortable for a person after just a few hours of driving. This might happen every time so you suspect seat.
So say you trade/buy F-150 that look like bigger more comfortable seats.
But you are just guessing that this vehicles seat would be more comfortable for an individual.
How would a person just really know short test drive would not confirm.
I would hate to have this issue of uncomfortable seats.
I thought about that too...How would you know on a short test drive your seats are going to cause you discomfort on a 4 plus hour trip. It would really suck to keep buying vehicles to find one comfortable for long trips.

I would say if you find one comfortable stick with it. Basically if the F150 was comfortable I'd replace it with another F150 when it was time to upgrade. I'm lucky & I've never had seat issues so I buy what ever I like at the time.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I had a 2006 rt for a little over a year and now have a 2011 RTS that we bought new in Oct. 2010 and have the same issue with both of them as regard to the front seat. The side bolsters hurt my hips on long trips. I have a foam seat pad and all is well. I can ride in my 2001 Montana with no problems as well as 2 hours twice daily in various models of school buses with no hip issues.

I'm 5' 10" 190 and have a size 36 waist, so weight is not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,391 Posts
Not sure what Pilot you were considering seats from, but my dad & I drove his 2005 Pilot from Silver Spring, MD to Lewiston, MI. To me they were very similar. I'd try a memory foam seat pad it would be a lot less expensive.

Memory Foam Seat Cushion

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've seen more comfortable seats than my RL but they aren't really bothersome to me. I could do without the stiff bolsters, but the lumbar support works well for me.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had the same issue w my back. Simple way to improve comfort: adjust the seat front so that it is as high as it may go so that effectively your knees are higher off the ground. Also buy four washers - remove the two front seat nuts and tip seat back put two washers on each bolt / post and retighten. Easy cheap fix with noticeable benefits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good suggestions.
I had issues similar to Festus's; short drives were great, but 12 hr trips nearly crippled me.
Surgery for a burst disc helped a little, but then I noticed that the driver's arm rest and center console don't seem to be at the same height, with the door arm rest slightly lower, causing a slight 'tilt' to the left.

I added a temporary foam pad on the door armrest for long trips and and now can go 14hrs with no more than 'normal' driving stiffness....pretty much transformed it into one of the best long drive vehicles I've had.

Good luck - pain like this can make a vehicle undriveable.

PS. Aside from some vintage Mercedes, the best (stock) long distance drivers seat I ever had was in (of all things) a 92 Explorer!
I think they also got the center console design right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same issue w my back. Simple way to improve comfort: adjust the seat front so that it is as high as it may go so that effectively your knees are higher off the ground. Also buy four washers - remove the two front seat nuts and tip seat back put two washers on each bolt / post and retighten. Easy cheap fix with noticeable benefits.
That is a great idea that I think I might try. I have to admit that the front seats are not the best for long periods of time. My wife hates taking the truck for trips over an hour long for that reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After 50k plus miles and three trips across the country, I find the seat very good, My wife likes the ridgeline seats better that my conversion van seats
Rayaa4si

1 - 19 of 19 Posts