Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite front seats are soft and very comfy - the front side of the cushion is too high comparing to the rear side. So, when you drive -- instead of sitting on your butt, you put too much pressure on the back of the thighs. This caused my legs to get numb after an hour of driving. I never had this issue with any of my other cars. My wife experienced the same problem as a passenger.
Last week my I felt a sharp pain in my right calf and rushed to the urgent care. They did sonography and diagnosed me with Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and when I shared my driving experience with my doctor - he said that most likely my car's seat (and, of course, not making enough stops while driving, but who really does that?) was the cause of my illness.
So, one brute-force solution is to put some cushion that will raise my butt and take the pressure of my thighs, but I also thought if I could raise the back of my seat? like to put some spacers?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,712 Posts
Just drove from Reno, NV to 150 miles north of Seattle in one day, yesterday. No issues for this 78 year old driver. That is except for the wildfire smoke most of the way. Got out last evening and felt great.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
74 Posts
It would be helpful if OP’s (Original Post(er)) would tell us what year and model RL they have… Just saying…

Do you have electric seats? If so, you can tilt the base of the seat down and your butt up to maybe take some of that pressure off of your thighs. If not, might be time for an upgrade?

Edit: OP = Original Post(er)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think even the lower trim seats can be adjusted up and down can't they. I seem to remember a lever for that, but it's been a while since I test drove.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
857 Posts
Guessing the OP has a Sport which has less adjustable seats. Having multiway electric adjustable seats was one of very few features that drove me to the RTL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a Black Edition, and I adjusted the seat to be as level as possible, but it's still has the front higher than the rear. If I sit in Honda and try to squeeze my palm between a thigh and a seat cushion - there is a lot of pressure. I'm kind of sinking into that seat instead of seating on it. When I try to do the same in my Q5 -- the seat is much firmer, it's level, so I can easily put my palm between a seat and and a thigh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just drove from Reno, NV to 150 miles north of Seattle in one day, yesterday. No issues for this 78 year old driver. That is except for the wildfire smoke most of the way. Got out last evening and felt great.
I bet 99% of other owners can say the same, otherwise I wouldn't be the first person talking about this problem here.
But how to I fix it?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,712 Posts
I bet 99% of other owners can say the same, otherwise I wouldn't be the first person talking about this problem here.
But how to I fix it?
Ha, not good on a fix as I love my seats. You may have read on here that I just crossed the US from the Pacific to the Atlantic and back in 11 days and sat in my Ridge (alone) for 6430 miles. One day I drove 1250 miles on the return trip. So I can really find no faults with my 2020 E's seats.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are you sure your seats are as low as they go? I'm 5'2" and between the choice of not being able to see the hood and pressure on my legs, I choose the giant font end blind spot. I have my seat tilted forward as much as possible with the back raised up... and I can't really recall myself being dangly legged while driving. And I'm someone who can swing their legs on an airplane seat.

For long drives, in addition to frequent stops where you run laps around your car and hop up into the bed to get blood flowing, staying hydrated will help. Keeps your blood volume up AND most importantly, forces you to make frequent potty breaks where you need to get up and move.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
not really, I don't want to sit in an awkward position with my head between my legs like I'm driving a kart 🏎 :rolleyes:
Having come from driving a coupe as a daily for 13 years, I can tell you for sure it's not going to go so low your head ends up between your legs like a kart. If you lower the seat completely, your feet will be held up more by the left foot rest and the right pedals thus alleviating the pressure on your legs. Unless you're even shorter than I am... of which, I'm sure there exists a custom place that can create an angled seat cover for the seat pad that will raise your hind end. The issue for being short however, if you raise the seat too high, then you have to scoot the seat close enough to the wheel to reach the pedals as your knee angle decreases.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it could be a medical issue. Please don’t take offense to this, but are you overweight? Back or knee surgery?

There are also many different types of seat cushions that you could try to get some relief. Or maybe one of those rolled up foam cushions that fit behind your lower back.

Just trying to help you think outside the box. We all have different body types and one size seat does not agree with everyone. I hope you find a solution. Otherwise it might be time to move onto a different vehicle. For me, if it is truly the seat configuration and I couldn’t find a fix I’d be moving on.

Gusto!

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS
124 Posts
I think even the lower trim seats can be adjusted up and down can't they. I seem to remember a lever for that, but it's been a while since I test drove.
I have an RTS, and there is a round adjuster knob on the left base of the driver's side that lets you raise or lower the pitch of the seat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it could be a medical issue. Please don’t take offense to this, but are you overweight? Back or knee surgery?
no offence taken, I'm 5'10" 160lb, I go to gym twice a week, take walks at least 3 times a day, ride mountain bike at least once a week... but yeah bad heredity cannot be ruled out.
The issue is that while we enjoy the comfy short ride, both me and my wife (also no weight issues) feel that these seats interfere with blood circulation and legs go numb if we are sitting for more than 1-2 hours.
If you feel you legs go numb while driving and you read this thread - please don't disregard this warning, DVT is not a joke.
If you're totally fine driving Ridgeline for hours (which I'm sure most of owners are) - excellent!
Truly to say I'm more interested in finding a solution than arguing or trying prove something. I was hoping to find someone who experienced the same problem and came up with some easy fix. Like installing some washers under the rear of the seat if it's possible

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you lower the seat completely, your feet will be held up more by the left foot rest and the right pedals thus alleviating the pressure on your legs.
ok I'll try again to lower the seat... I adjusted it so i can still hold the wheel normally and see the road. Ridgeline already has pretty weird interior proportions and ergonomics and having the seat lowered makes it worse

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ignoring the fact that we all spend too much of our time sitting. Whether in cars or slouched in front of the sofa....We are also victims of our own bad habits...DVT can be triggered by multiple causes and none of the other have been considered.

My take on this, is that IF it is the seat causing the problem, rather than some other cause, and that you should go get the seat foam adjusted to suit your need at an auto upholstery shop.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
not really, I don't want to sit in an awkward position with my head between my legs like I'm driving a kart 🏎 :rolleyes:
That sounds like a Tacoma seating position :).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My take on this, is that IF it is the seat causing the problem, rather than some other cause, and that you should go get the seat foam adjusted to suit your need at an auto upholstery shop.
That sounds like a potential solution. Or maybe have the upholsterer shave the troublesome front cushion down. Either adjustment would cost some $, but worth it health-wise, and less hassle (IMO) than replacing the Ridgeline (if the OP wants to keep it). And I bet they could match the ergonomic needs pretty precisely.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts