Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
147 Posts
So sorry to hear about this, @Ilya. You don't want to mess around with DVT's.

I'm 6'4" and have always had issues with comfortable (and safe) vehicle seats. I never had a vehicle that would allow me to last over 2-3 hours before I needed to get out and stretch (breaks every 2-3 hours are probably a good thing in the long run, though!). I used to drive 11+ hours round trip every weekend in my Subaru Outback and discovered that I needed a seat cushion to elevate my legs/thighs slightly to avoid discomfort - that solution helped tremendously. Fast forward to my recent Ridgeline purchase. I fully expected to use my seat cushion on long drives, but it hasn't been necessary. My RTL-E seats are the most comfortable I've ever experienced. I drove 5.5 hours without a break a few weekends ago and felt like I could've gone longer if my bladder would have allowed it.

I hope you find a long-term seating solution to solve your discomfort and avoid DVT's in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have not experienced DVT from the seat however I know exactly what you are talking about. I was trying to lower the front of the seat 'more' but there was no more lowering to be had. :)

I had to lower the seat height to get the pressure off of the front of my thighs. 5'10" with 31" inseam. I mention the inseam because overall Height is misleading metric. Tibula+Fibula length plus the distance to pedals (angle of your legs) is important. I would prefer a higher seat height but compromises needed to be made.

Overall I am quite comfortable now but may get a seat cushion to try as Farther as suggested for longer trips. Best of luck !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That sounds like a Tacoma seating position :).
don't tell! I took $50k tacoma (TRD off-road with some extras) for a test drive and.. that was the least comfortable car truck I ever driven! also the engine-gearbox combination was terrible, it could not keep 75mph on a highway without constantly shifting gears 5-6-5-6 :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That sounds like a potential solution. Or maybe have the upholsterer shave the troublesome front cushion down
I'm in the Bay area, local workshops.. they can't even change and balance the wheels, not talking about some customizations... Is it hard to remove the seat so I can put some extra foam to the back of the cushion in order to level it?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
I'm in the Bay area, local workshops.. they can't even change and balance the wheels, not talking about some customizations... Is it hard to remove the seat so I can put some extra foam to the back of the cushion in order to level it?
You don't want to go to an automotive shop to upholster the seats. You want a shop that specializes in custom furniture, or even motorcycle seats.

If you do want to put shims under the rear of the seat, you'd want a body shop for that. Not sure I'd recommend doing that, though, as it could possibly mess with safety protocols on these newer vehicles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What I did already - bought these mouse pads https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DHTQYTG/ and I was able to squeeze 2 of these between the mesh which supports the cushion and the cushion. It helped a little, but it's still not enough. Next I want to remove the seat and squeeze more mouse pads :D and may be also install some washers, not sure if it's doable

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
I played with my seat a little today. It tilts pretty far forward, further than I was comfortable. But I do have the power seat... back of lever = up/down, front of lever = tilt back/forth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah I wish mine could tilt a little bit further. The actual issue is the seat is too soft, so when I place my butt on the back of the seat - it sinks, and the pressure distributes to my thighs. I lowered the seat a little, now I look stupid seating so low I can barely see the road :) will check if this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
On my 17' once the drivers seat broke in a little it was fine. But yes, I noticed pressure like that on my legs too at first. It's been fine now though and no more numbness.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There's an upholstery/trim shop here (~2000 miles away from you :)) that has repaired torn/worn seat panels in vehicles we've owned - one leather and the other (all the seats) cloth. I'm sure they (or a similar shop there) could open the seat panel that you sit on, install more seat foam to raise that area higher, then close it back up. They might need to install a new surface panel, if the old one doesn't fit over the over-stuffed area, but in our case they matched our repaired seat so well that no one could tell it'd been repaired. That was a Jeep with very nice tan leather.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You don't want to go to an automotive shop to upholster the seats. You want a shop that specializes in custom furniture, or even motorcycle seats.

If you do want to put shims under the rear of the seat, you'd want a body shop for that. Not sure I'd recommend doing that, though, as it could possibly mess with safety protocols on these newer vehicles.
Yes, an upholstery shop. There's one 20 minutes from me that does specialize in vehicles - I think primarily seats and convertible tops - but man they're wizards with interiors. They replaced a torn panel our Grand Cherokee Overland driver's seat and no one could tell.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Talk to your doctor about prescription compression stockings for your longer trips. My wife wears them when flying and the definitely help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Moving your seat forward should improve your leg angles.

Also, on long drives, I mostly use cruise control, and often have my knees bent and my feet flat on the floor directly in front of the seat. I will alternate between this position and having my left foot on the dead pedal and my right foot near the gas pedal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talk to your doctor about prescription compression stockings for your longer trips. My wife wears them when flying and the definitely help.

for me, if there were no other contraindications, I would probably start here. While I don't want to practice medicine, on the internet, without a license, I'm a little surprised this wasn't one of your doctors suggestions. It's likely to be the most efficacious solution. I'd certainly do this before adding washers etc to the seat mounting hardware. The cushions and so forth may help but a compression stocking may be the most direct way to get at the problem

21 - 38 of 38 Posts