Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 6-8 small chips from small rocks flying up from the road in my front windshield. It seems any time a small pebble flies up and hits, it will always put a little chip in the window.
I have only traveled paved roads and never tailgate .. I just don't understand how this can be happening. I called Honda about it and the guy I talked to just seemed to want to believe that it's due to my poor driving skills, tailgating and on roads where there's lot's of debris on the roads.
This isn't the case but I was wondering if others have experienced this problem or if I'm just having some incredibly bad luck with flying debris.
I've never had a car where the windshield was so fragile.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
wonderin_y said:
I've got about 6-8 small chips from small rocks flying up from the road in my front windshield. It seems any time a small pebble flies up and hits, it will always put a little chip in the window.
I have only traveled paved roads and never tailgate .. I just don't understand how this can be happening. I called Honda about it and the guy I talked to just seemed to want to believe that it's due to my poor driving skills, tailgating and on roads where there's lot's of debris on the roads.
This isn't the case but I was wondering if others have experienced this problem or if I'm just having some incredibly bad luck with flying debris.
I've never had a car where the windshield was so fragile.
I noticed the same thing. I never had this problem on any other vehicle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
knock on wood here: but I've had no issues yet and I do a lot of interstate travelling (2 months, 7600 miles already).

It's funny, every single car forum I visit, there are complaints of "soft windshield". I wonder if it has something to do with safety as far as if the glass does break in a crash, it would not cause any serious cuts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I am also experiencing this. I dread the idea of having to have this windshield replaced after reading the sagas of those members who had wind noise and had to have gaskets replaced.

Here in Arizona, windshield durability is a real concern. I have been getting small dings in the glass when driving on the freeway. I have not heard anything hit the window, so this is happening with small debrise.

I wonder if that epoxy stuff would help level these things out????

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Picked up a pebble that barely left a mark, but cracked the windshield. I've put off replacing it, but now it's spread halfway across. I too am cautious of a windshield replacement given the numerous posts with issues. I have no choice now. Mine started down by the heating element and worked diagonaly. I personnaly think it has something to do with pressure on the windshield in that area. Honda must think my driving abilities are suspect too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got a small chip from a truck ahead ith no flaps. It first, however, skipped across the hood so I have a chip there too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I haven't noticed any chips in my windshield. I do a lot of highway driving when I drive the truck, and I live on a gravel road but it isn't very long. Aren't windshields covered with plastic front and back to avoid glass actually entering the vehicle? The glass layer is obviously what matters when there are chips because if they reach this level this is when you get splitting and runs in your glass. These can be dangerous and should be replaced as soon as you can. We have a glass commercial around here that reminds people that their windshield is the only thing between them and the open road. Of course in MA it is easy to get glass replaced as glass replacement insurance is mandatory in MA so we have $0 deductible on glass.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Aren't windshields covered with plastic front and back to avoid glass actually entering the vehicle?
The plastic is actually in the middle, sandwiched between two sheets of glass which are adhered to the plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
Mine started down by the heating element and worked diagonaly. I personnaly think it has something to do with pressure on the windshield in that area.
Are you sure that something struck the windshield? I didn't notice it until the second day of ownership but my windshield had a crack in the heating element area (passenger side) when I bought it. It was replaced by Honda under warranty. Others have reported the same issue, so I suggest that you approach your dealership about a warranty repair unless there's evidence that something actually struck it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think anyone who has experienced this problem with easy chipping should call honda. Although they seemed to want to blame me for the problem and told me "how could honda let a defective windshield get put on with such high quality standards and tests" ... well, they still offered to pay half to replace it. That doesn't fix my insurance problem now where state farm has decided they will no longer offer me comp with a $100 ded. and will only cover me with a $500 ded.
I still think the glass is weak and has some kind of a problem. I've never seen this in any car I've had. After 2 days of owning my ridgeline, I didn't even hear a rock pop up and hit the windshield but that morning when i went to get in my truck I had a nice foot long crack in the upper passenger side and a very tiny chip where something hit it.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
wonderin_y said:
state farm has decided they will no longer offer me comp with a $100 ded. and will only cover me with a $500 ded.
That's strange...I think my deductible with State Farm is $0 on comprehensive. I need to check my card to make sure though. Of course, I've only replaced 1 windshield and 1 outside mirror in the 21 years I've had State Farm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've filed one claim to replace a cracked front windshield and 2 other claims to fill the chips. They said too many claims within too short a time frame.

L

·
0 Posts
I found a chip right smack dab in front of my view the 3rd day of ownership. I don't think it's bad driving skills by anyone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
ridged said:
Are you sure that something struck the windshield? I didn't notice it until the second day of ownership but my windshield had a crack in the heating element area (passenger side) when I bought it. It was replaced by Honda under warranty. Others have reported the same issue, so I suggest that you approach your dealership about a warranty repair unless there's evidence that something actually struck it.
Unfortunately, I saw the whole thing happen. Seemed like slow motion. Noooooooo...dink (instant chip). When you look at the crack the impact point is barley visible. Someone else posted complaining to Honda and that Honda helped cover half. I may go that route, but I'm in the same boat with a $500 deduct with Allstate.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Bummer, NJDevil5. Based on the feedback in this thread, it is starting to sound like the windshield glass might not be adequate. In 30+ years of driving, I've only replaced 2 windshields (both obviously due to being struck by stones/road debris). I hope that if the glass truly isn't up to snuff, Honda recognizes/acknowledges the issue and makes it right for all of us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Honda S-2000 is notorious for this same problem (visit the S2KI.com website). I have had the windshield on my S-2000 replaced* once under warranty and soon after (within 5K miles) the same problem recurred. Now I accept it, but I still don't like it and I'm not sure that Honda is doing anything about the problem. Let them know, if enough people have the problem and complain, something may come about to remedy the problem.

*The dealer was cool enough to do this as a "defective" windshield, but it helps to have a good relationship with the people at the dealership who take the car in, they can work for you or against you if you treat them right.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Other Honda windshield problems... from the Lemonaid site...

http://www.lemonaidcars.com/update.htm

Honda has set up a secret “goodwill” warranty program that may save 2003-04 CR-V and Element owners millions of dollars in windshield replacement costs.

The ‘goodwill’ warranty is contained in a technical service bulletin filing the automaker recently made under the United States government’s TREAD act. The document can be accessed at HERE Honda’s confidential bulletin clearly states the manufacturer has a serious problem with cracking windshields that suffer from factory-related mistakes. Unfortunately, while Honda has this secret warranty extension in its back pocket, dealers are telling owners to seek payment from their insurance companies, resulting in higher insurance premiums for affected owners.” This stonewalling behaviour is unusual for Honda, but thoroughly documented in angry reports of owners found on the U. S. government’s NHTSA “Consumer Complaints” website (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/). Just like the company did with its engine and transmission problems, Honda must put out a press release recognizing its defect and extending the warranty equally to all owners.

Honda has to show CR-V and Element owners that it is the company it’s cracked up to be.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would imagine the issue has something to do with the angle of the windshield, the airflow over the front of the vehicle, and the composition of the glass itself.

I would guess that it's more to do with vehicle design then the glass. Objects just hit more straight on.

Any glass experts out there?...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts