Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
This may have been posted in another thread, but if so, I can't find it.

I've looked at Frontiers, as have a few people I know. It's dated, but a solid vehicle in my opinion. 2018 looks like it will bring some much needed changes.

It looks like there are some open minded folks over at Club Frontier. It's always refreshing to see even "fan boys" be impartial about alternatives.

2017 Honda Ridgeline Photo - Nissan Frontier Forum

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those guys on the Frontier board are definitely a lot smarter than the Fan Boys on Tacoma World. Those guys have their heads so far up Toyota's ass they can't see anything. Not to mention the new 3rd gen Tacoma has lots of serious problems and most of them still defend them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was a member over there from late 2005 until recently under a different name. They were always a good group of members on there. But if you mention the "R" word on the Taco forum...omg it's like you killed their dog.

·
Registered
83 Posts
10 months in a new 2016 Tacoma was enough for me. At a bit of a loss, I dumped it for my RTL-E last March and so glad I did. I was also getting real tired of the TW forum.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The one comment I found funny was the one where the guy said something along the lines "the Ridgeline is basically on a Pilot chassis, which is basically on an Odyssey chassis, which is basically on a stretched Accord chassis". He could have thrown in which was basically on a Goldwing chassis with two wheels added, LOL

·
Registered
363 Posts
The one comment I found funny was the one where the guy said something along the lines "the Ridgeline is basically on a Pilot chassis, which is basically on an Odyssey chassis, which is basically on a stretched Accord chassis". He could have thrown in which was basically on a Goldwing chassis with two wheels added, LOL

And that's basically just a Honda lawnmower!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Believe it or not, he wasn't too far off w/ his comment...

"The second most important benchmark was to maintain the Ridgeline’s car-like ride and handling, an advantage afforded by its car-based chassis. “You’ll feel like you’re in an Accord,” Jenkins claims."

Excerpt from Automobile Magazine... a fairly reputable publication, right?? ;-)

5 Things to Know about the 2017 Honda Ridgeline

·
Registered
741 Posts
This comment literally made me laugh out loud:

"Why would you do that? It's an El Camino. That thing has no value in the truck world. They didn't do anything to upgrade it. They just slapped on an uglier body."

I mean, this is coming from a crowd who drive a vehicle that has BARELY been upgraded since 2005!!! ROFLMAO!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
What makes me laugh the most about many of their comments is the G2's inability to haul 4x8' sheets of plywood. Last time I checked, I hauled 14 sheets of 3/4" for a new attached porch roof for my house. and I could have still fit another 8 or so. The truck didn't even notice the 14 sheets as far as power goes. I always put a ratchet strap around the back end from the tow hitch safety chain loop to one of the tie downs in the bed, but that's only because I make a sharp left turn going uphill at a 10%ish grade and I really don't feel like picking stuff up off a road...

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is so funny, as big Nissan is getting ready to upgrade the Frontier, and it will likely look a lot different. Nissan has tested the overseas-market Navara truck here (see below pic), and is looking at a diesel for it (powered by Cummins).

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What makes me laugh the most about many of their comments is the G2's inability to haul 4x8' sheets of plywood. Last time I checked, I hauled 14 sheets of 3/4" for a new attached porch roof for my house. and I could have still fit another 8 or so. The truck didn't even notice the 14 sheets as far as power goes. I always put a ratchet strap around the back end from the tow hitch safety chain loop to one of the tie downs in the bed, but that's only because I make a sharp left turn going uphill at a 10%ish grade and I really don't feel like picking stuff up off a road...
If I had the time and money, I'd love to spend all day writing about cars and trucks. It's amazing to me that both professional writers, and sales people know almost nothing about the vehicles they are reviewing (and or selling) other than what they read or are spoon fed at an "unveiling". Agree with your post entirely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If I had the time and money, I'd love to spend all day writing about cars and trucks. It's amazing to me that both professional writers, and sales people know almost nothing about the vehicles they are reviewing (and or selling) other than what they read or are spoon fed at an "unveiling". Agree with your post entirely.
Had Honda actually purchased some 4x8' sheets of drywall or plywood and had it in the back of one of the G2's at the unveiling, there would be pics all over the place showing that they sit flat and only about a foot out the back of the tailgate. I owned a Frontier about 7 years ago. The wheel wells just like any other truck limited me to only 5 or so sheets of plywood before I felt like the weight was too much to be resting on the tailgate in its up position. The only benefit of the frontier is its better off-road worthiness, higher towing weight (+1800lbs?), and the fact it is dirt cheap.

I'm willing to bet when they come out with the new generation and they load it up with technology like all vehicles nowadays the price will not be as much of a factor. Unless Nissan wants to target the frugal and cheap and keep it bare bones, but that is setting up for failure due to everyone moving to technology IMO.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yeah, I am really tired of the "it's just an SUV/Car with a bed BS". My reply is always the same and that is "I DO NOT GIVE A SH**". It does just what I want and just what I need and is reliable and comfortable and safe (more so than nearly all the trucks owned by the folks whining about it's lack of "truckiness"). How it got that way or what it is based on is just totally unimportant. I buy on need and reason - something missing in a very large percentage of "real truck" buyers.

They want what they want and they will have to live (or maybe die, given their vehicle's crash-worthiness) with it. I bought what I both wanted and more importantly needed and am very happy with it. I simply shake my head and laugh at their lack of common sense when I hear that sort of comment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I am really tired of the "it's just an SUV/Car with a bed BS". My reply is always the same and that is "I DO NOT GIVE A SH**". It does just what I want and just what I need and is reliable and comfortable and safe (more so than nearly all the trucks owned by the folks whining about it's lack of "truckiness"). How it got that way or what it is based on is just totally unimportant. I buy on need and reason - something missing in a very large percentage of "real truck" buyers.

They want what they want and they will have to live (or maybe die, given their vehicle's crash-worthiness) with it. I bought what I both wanted and more importantly needed and am very happy with it. I simply shake my head and laugh at their lack of common sense when I hear that sort of comment.
I heard that!

I'm on my second RL and those "truckiness" bunch can have those bricks with wheels. I owned a 2002 Ford F-150 and it was a good truck but a gas hog. I head on with a dump truck took it out and fortunately not me with it. Also had 2 Rangers and 2 Explorers. That series of F-150s were the best looking Ford ever made in my opinion. I did get the use of a 2016 F-150 for 4 months while waiting on an airbag last summer. It was ok and does have more room. Got good gas mileage with the V6 in it. It was growing on me a little until I got my 2013 RL Sport back. I never looked back and recently bought a new RL.

Like you, I don't care what the big brick drivers say. I'm very happy with my RL. I does everything I need it to do. Which includes pull a 5X10 trailer with HVAC equipment or lawn tractor or what ever. And in style and comfort too.:wink::wink::wink:

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
10 New Cars And Trucks To Avoid

"9. Nissan Frontier

The midsize Frontier has the dubious distinction of being the “oldest” pickup truck sold in the U.S., having been around in its current generation since the 2005 model year. Feeling old and crude (though the PRO-4X models are noteworthy for off-road fun), it’s long lost its luster, with the more recently redesigned Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon small pickups leaving it in their dust. It gets low marks for reliability, and was named one of the models Consumer Reports’ readers regret buying. Nissan is reportedly (and finally) readying a redesigned Frontier for 2018 that should be much improved; we’d say it’s probably worth the wait if you’re a Frontier fan, otherwise shop elsewhere."

10 New Cars And Trucks To Avoid | Forbes

·
Registered
46 Posts
He's talking about the redesigned Frontier due out in the next year or two, not the current one you're referencing. Even the old one still beats the new RL on trails and tows 6300 lbs. It is also very reliable. They can be had for around 30k with 4x4, off road package, and nav. Not a bad deal for someone who isn't as concerned about interior room, ride quality and fuel economy (which excludes most RL shoppers). I had the pleasure of spending time in the Navara, Ranger, and Amarok while in Australia, they are all better trucks than most US offerings. I suspect the Frontier (Navara) and new Ranger are really going to press the RL, as they will have similar creature comforts, reliability, fuel economy, and be better off road. However, the RL will remain the segment leader in interior room. I imagine the GM twins sales will really take a dive as they will be hard pressed to lead at anything. Do yourself a favor and check out the Amarok link below. I think many RL buyers where hoping for something like this. I would love for the new Atlas to offer a truck version. Very, very, fun to drive and very comfortable. The twin turbo diesel and 4motion really causes some I gotta have fun overload.

My favorite was the Amarok, it's clearly the best mid-size truck IMO.
https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/amarok.html

Current Frontier
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/704603012/overview/

Navara
Nissan Navara 2017 | 4x4, Utes, Commercial Vehicle

Ranger
Ford South Africa - New Ford Ranger | Price List | Ford.co.za

1 - 20 of 47 Posts