Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
He's talking about the redesigned Frontier due out in the next year or two, not the current one you're referencing. Even the old one still beats the new RL on trails and tows 6300 lbs. It is also very reliable. They can be had for around 30k with 4x4, off road package, and nav. Not a bad deal for someone who isn't as concerned about interior room, ride quality and fuel economy (which excludes most RL shoppers). I had the pleasure of spending time in the Navara, Ranger, and Amarok while in Australia, they are all better trucks than most US offerings. I suspect the Frontier (Navara) and new Ranger are really going to press the RL, as they will have similar creature comforts, reliability, fuel economy, and be better off road. However, the RL will remain the segment leader in interior room. I imagine the GM twins sales will really take a dive as they will be hard pressed to lead at anything. Do yourself a favor and check out the Amarok link below. I think many RL buyers where hoping for something like this. I would love for the new Atlas to offer a truck version. Very, very, fun to drive and very comfortable. The twin turbo diesel and 4motion really causes some I gotta have fun overload.

My favorite was the Amarok, it's clearly the best mid-size truck IMO.
https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/amarok.html

Current Frontier
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/704603012/overview/

Navara
Nissan Navara 2017 | 4x4, Utes, Commercial Vehicle

Ranger
Ford South Africa - New Ford Ranger | Price List | Ford.co.za
Took a look at those. Ummmm... I think I'll keep my RTL-T.

·
Administrator
14,021 Posts
Even the old [Frontier] still beats the new RL on trails and tows 6300 lbs. It is also very reliable.

My favorite was the Amarok, it's clearly the best mid-size truck IMO.
I had to do a double-take at your mention of Frontier and "reliable" in the same paragraph. ;)

I wouldn't allow a VW in my garage if they paid me to drive it and gave me a lifetime warranty. I choose to give my money to companies with higher moral standards.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is so funny, as big Nissan is getting ready to upgrade the Frontier, and it will likely look a lot different. Nissan has tested the overseas-market Navara truck here (see below pic), and is looking at a diesel for it (powered by Cummins).
Is Nissan going to upgrade the Frontier to the 2014 Navara? What good reason does Nissan have for waiting so long?

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
My RL is in the shop at the moment and my rental is a brand new 2017 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV (it was either that or a Hyundai Accent so…) I know it's outdated but stepping into the truck was a little bit like a time warp lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts

Third paragraph starts by pointing out the current design from 2005 sells more than Ridgeline and Canyon. Ugh.
I still have my 2009 frontier king cab. Still like it, just it sucks with 2 kids. Been great other than a slew of issues around 100k. When I drove a Tacoma I still thought the frontier drove better surprisingly. I learned my lesson with Nissan though, never buy 1st model year and avoid 2nd probably too. Just look at 04/05 titan issues, 04/05 frontier and 17/18 titan issues (had one). All sorts of fun tranny, engine, header, brake, differential issues on them. Most cleared up later.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a 2005 Frontier that I bought brand new before I traded it in on an RL a few months ago. I spent about $3000/yr on various repair/maintenance items (mostly repair) the last 3 years in a row and figured I was in for the same this year, including the dreaded MSOD. The mud flaps and and roof racks are nicer than the RL's but other than that absolutely no comparison. I will never buy another Nissan!

·
Administrator
14,021 Posts
I must learn more about this engine. I wonder if it's based on the 3.8L TT V6 used in the GT-R or if it's new from the ground-up specifically for this application?

It was nice, long, reliable run with the 4.0L/5AT. If you need a reliable, simple, mid-size pickup - better grab one of the last 2019's!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Don't know much about Datsun (mom did have a 2012 G37x) but the folks at TFL gave a scoop yesterday. All new with a 9 Speed not a GTR engine. I wonder if it's some derivative of the Titan engine. I like that the trans is derived from the Titan, should be easy for it to handle mid size duty then. I would think they have more applications for this besides the Frontier maybe getting rid of CVT's?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Pickuptrucks.com says it's a "Japanese thing" to put a new powertrain in a vehicle a year before the vehicle is refreshed. :rolleyes:

If Nissan can hold the line on pricing, one might be able to get a 310hp 3700lb go-fast pickup for under $25k...

I don't see that 9AT going a million miles without some issues, though...

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
45 Posts
I had to do a double-take at your mention of Frontier and "reliable" in the same paragraph. ;)

I wouldn't allow a VW in my garage if they paid me to drive it and gave me a lifetime warranty. I choose to give my money to companies with higher moral standards.
You’re in luck. The current proposal being discussed is to sell the Amarok in the US with a Mercedes badge. Likely in 2024.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have mentioned it before on here, but my 2006 Frontier that I sold a year and a half ago was great to me. Aside from routine maintenance, I replaced a couple minor things in the 10 years I had it. The biggest was preemptively replacing the radiator to avoid the SMOD, but I did that 9 years into ownership at a cost of $250 for the radiator, coolant hoses, thermostat and coolant. It never left me stranded, but the RL just makes so much more sense for me/my family.

You’re in luck. The current proposal being discussed is to sell the Amarok in the US with a Mercedes badge. Likely in 2024.
That could get me to trade in the RL. Especially if they had some kind of hybrid diesel (or all electric by that point, who knows).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had a 2008 SE for 10 years. I had a good experience. Aside from regular maintenance and tire replacement, the only things I had to fix was the sunglass holder and the TPMS monitors. It's a simple vehicle and Nissan has been knocking them out for ages, so they've ironed out the major bugs. However, the ride is noisy and fuel economy is awful. I think the Titan posts better numbers now.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I had a 2008 SE for 10 years. I had a good experience. Aside from regular maintenance and tire replacement, the only things I had to fix was the sunglass holder and the TPMS monitors. It's a simple vehicle and Nissan has been knocking them out for ages, so they've ironed out the major bugs. However, the ride is noisy and fuel economy is awful. I think the Titan posts better numbers now.
Yes but the new engine / transmission in the 20s should help fuel economy.

·
Administrator
14,021 Posts
I feel Nissan is very wise to install an all-new powertrain into an old model first. This way, if there are any initial, real-world problems then they can iron them out before releasing an all-new model so that it's more reliable right out of the gate.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The debut performance of the new powertrain thus far leaves a lot to be desired. Let's hope they get that powertrain dialed in by the time the new body debuts.

Also, looking forward to a more authoritative review of the new powertrain...

·
Registered
760 Posts
The debut performance of the new powertrain thus far leaves a lot to be desired. Let's hope they get that powertrain dialed in by the time the new body debuts.

Also, looking forward to a more authoritative review of the new powertrain...

310hp, 281 lb ft torque - impressive, but 9.43 0-60 isn't great, and 1352 payload is a little light vs. our beloved Ridgeline.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts