Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RTL with the 5" head unit. Having a lot of frustration making calls over Bluetooth.

My previous vehicle was a 2013 VW GTI, almost the base model. From the very first day I got it I never had any problems making phone calls. It was highly functional and I never had to look up how to do something or import anything, or program anything. After connecting the phone I could just push the voice command button and say "Call xxx on mobile phone" and it did it. Right out of the box, no reference needed.

My Ridgeline I find very frustrating. I can't just say call "Call Joe on mobile phone" and it works. I have to program speed dial options and record a voice tag for each one, use the call history, or stop the vehicle to access the phone book, or speak the number out loud (and who remembers actual phone numbers these days??).

I also miss having all the info on the cluster display right in front of me, but I knew when I bought the truck that it didn't do that.

I just feel that Honda is way behind the times in terms of Bluetooth functionality.

Am I missing something?? :frown:

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I just feel that Honda is way behind the times in terms of Bluetooth functionality.

Am I missing something?? :frown:
I agree.

No.

Bluetooth calling is easier and more feature-rich on the RTL-T and above models with the 8" touch screen, which also includes Siri Eyes-Free that works great if you're an iPhone user.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Am I missing something??
I agree.

No.

Bluetooth calling is easier and more feature-rich on the RTL-T and above models with the 8" touch screen, which also includes Siri Eyes-Free that works great if you're an iPhone user.
Siri seems to rule the Bluetooth and wireless commands these days. I find her to be entertaining but also a bit cheaky at times especially with the nav system. When a turn is about to come up she will quickly say in a stern voice "turn now!!" A few seconds before the turn. Nice features are automatic audio diming when calls come in and text notifications. Out going speech to text all from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What sort of phone do you have? Recent Honda models let you hold down the voice button to activate Siri on an iPhone rather than using the car's built in voice recognition.

It's a separate feature from the touchscreen CarPlay / Android Auto, but I'm not sure if the non-touchscreen Ridgelines are capable.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Recent Honda models let you hold down the voice button to activate Siri on an iPhone rather than using the car's built in voice recognition.

It's a separate feature from the touchscreen CarPlay / Android Auto, but I'm not sure if the non-touchscreen Ridgelines are capable.
No. See my post #2 above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What sort of phone do you have? Recent Honda models let you hold down the voice button to activate Siri on an iPhone rather than using the car's built in voice recognition.

I have an iPhone 5S. I'll give it a try tomorrow, but zroger73 points out that it only works on touchscreen head units. Worth trying anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just out of curiosity, since I'm not familiar w/ the 5" version, do you go through your RL's voice command, or do you use "OK Google" to make your calls?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an iPhone 5S. I'll give it a try tomorrow, but zroger73 points out that it only works on touchscreen head units. Worth trying anyway. Thanks!
You can also try activating Siri from your phone's home button and use it over the bluetooth system to place a call, or enable the "Hey Siri" feature which will let you activate it hands-free as long as your phone is connected to power.

Basically any modern smartphone is probably much better at the voice recognition stuff than what's built into the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, since I'm not familiar w/ the 5" version, do you go through your RL's voice command, or do you use "OK Google" to make your calls?
I have an iPhone so OK Google is not something I'm familiar with.

The RL's voice commands have been nothing but a source of frustration for me, so I mostly use the phone button on the head unit and the selector knob to place calls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can also try activating Siri from your phone's home button and use it over the bluetooth system to place a call, or enable the "Hey Siri" feature which will let you activate it hands-free as long as your phone is connected to power.

Basically any modern smartphone is probably much better at the voice recognition stuff than what's built into the car.
Yes, I will try this tomorrow.

One other frustration, in my GTI I could use my iPhone's voice-to-text dictation over Bluetooth for writing text messages (always while stopped of course). This does not seem to work in my RTL. Actually, if I try to use it, even by speaking directly into the phone, the audio system does not mute and it just confuses the voice recognition software! Double bummer!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an iPhone so OK Google is not something I'm familiar with.

The RL's voice commands have been nothing but a source of frustration for me, so I mostly use the phone button on the head unit and the selector knob to place calls.
1st, I agree w/ you re: voice commands. The RLs seem to have the same acuity as Garmin's (which is much less than perfect). I asked about OK Google (which is Android's version of Siri), because it's voice recognition is stellar (and I've heard the same about Siri), and was wondering if via Buetooth, it's possible to use the Siri (Ok Google) function as opposed to the RL, and have the RL pick up the commands.
I realize you don't have CarPlay, which might negate the possibility... I'm going to try it myself today, through Bluetooth rather than Android Auto, and I'll let you know what I come up with...

EDIT: Ok, stetrain seems to have beaten me to the suggestion (I *really* need to read these threads before replying...)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess I don't have much of a life.

We've an RTL and all our regular contacts totaled to less than the twenty voice-tags the system permits.

So we're OK with the RTLs voice-dial Bluetooth.

Both our iPhone 6s are paired to the truck. If we want to phone a number not in the list, we pick up the phone and use Siri.

A well-driller will do a job for us, and for the duration of the work and followup, he'll be on the voice-tag list for easy voice-dialed calls. After, we'll erase.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Would not be surprised if Honda intentionally decontents the 5" to push the 8", the 5" in a 5-year old CR-Z did more...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just picked up my 2017 RTL tonight and immediately became frustrated with the Bluetooth as soon as I got home. Ironically, I also came from a 2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition which I had very limited BT issues with. I used the voice commands nearly every day for three years and rarely had to repeat a command.

I'm beyond dumbfounded that you have to program individual names into a phone book to use voice commands. This is the way my 2006 Acura TSX base (not even the tech package in 2006!) worked! Had I known this, I may have actually opted for an RTL-T. I do a lot of driving for work.

Too late now. Guess I start looking for aftermarket head units for a truck I've had for all of 4 hours!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just picked up my 2017 RTL tonight and immediately became frustrated with the Bluetooth as soon as I got home. Ironically, I also came from a 2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition which I had very limited BT issues with. I used the voice commands nearly every day for three years and rarely had to repeat a command.

I'm beyond dumbfounded that you have to program individual names into a phone book to use voice commands. This is the way my 2006 Acura TSX base (not even the tech package in 2006!) worked! Had I known this, I may have actually opted for an RTL-T. I do a lot of driving for work.

Too late now. Guess I start looking for aftermarket head units for a truck I've had for all of 4 hours!
Thanks for your response. Sorry we are sharing in the same misery!

Sad to say I've relented to making fewer phone calls while driving, though I guess it's safer that way.
The phone's voice recognition ability (including use of Siri) is completely thrown off by the RL. I can't use voice-to-text or Siri when my phone is synched to the truck. Activating any kind of voice command directly on the phone just seems to confuse it. It goes into voice recognition mode, but does not usually even produce text. The GTI was great in that I could use the car's microphone to perform voice dictation. Not on the RL.

Such a huge step backwards for such an expensive vehicle. :surprise:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: on my way home yesterday I was able to place a call using Siri via the BT connection. Hold the home button on phone for a few seconds, wait for Siri to activate, wait a couple of seconds, and speak. The call then gets sent to the RL's hands-free. I think the important part is waiting a moment or two after Siri activates so that the microphones figure out what they need to do. I don't actually hear any voice prompts from Siri at any point however.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Update: on my way home yesterday I was able to place a call using Siri via the BT connection. Hold the home button on phone for a few seconds, wait for Siri to activate, wait a couple of seconds, and speak. The call then gets sent to the RL's hands-free. I think the important part is waiting a moment or two after Siri activates so that the microphones figure out what they need to do. I don't actually hear any voice prompts from Siri at any point however.
I'm using a 6s so I use "Hey Siri" to get it to activate, then when the Siri prompt comes up on the phone, hit the "speak" button on the steering wheel and let go of it, then say what you'd like Siri to do next and then you should hear her response back through the speakers from that point on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your reply. I believe for "Hey Siri" to function the phone has to be connected to power, right?

I keep an old iPod in the center console, connected to the USB input. I use it for most of my music listening, and am hoping to keep it connected all the time and do all my calls through BT. Maybe I could get a power adapter for the 12 volt power port and connect my phone to that for Hey Siri functionality to work.

Obviously still trying to find a livable workflow...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I believe for "Hey Siri" to function the phone has to be connected to power, right?

I keep an old iPod in the center console, connected to the USB input. I use it for most of my music listening, and am hoping to keep it connected all the time and do all my calls through BT. Maybe I could get a power adapter for the 12 volt power port and connect my phone to that for Hey Siri functionality to work.

Obviously still trying to find a livable workflow...
On the SE, 6s and higher you can without being plugged in. What I was describing was when I was plugged into the USB...I'll double check if it works the same with just on bluetooth and not plugged into the USB on the way home a little later.

Edit: double checked...either plugged in, or on Bluetooth it works the same way. Also checked starting Siri with the home button, and then waiting for Siri to show up on the screen, then just press the speak button (don't hold), speak to Siri what you want, and then Siri will speak back through the speakers. Same as if I starred Siri with saying Hey Siri.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts