Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FS $75.00 plus actual shipping ground. Local Pick up, no shipping if picked up near my area, SFO airport.

Hertz DSK 165.2, with separate crossovers for each component, pretty much everything that comes in the box when new, is included, even a manual and warranty info.

The tweeters pretty much snap on the dash factory grills, if the grills are removed, although I would use plastic zip ties to secure them, if the grills are removed as shown on some of the pictures below. The pimp your factory sound thread shows how I installed them on the dash.

Tweeters: condition, functional 10, cosmetic maybe 6-7 out of 10, mostly cosmetic issues on the back plastic, very few hours of use, since I used 2 different sets of very expensive tweeters matched with these woofers for maybe over 2 years after I removed them. Wires were re soldered on the terminals to make sure they will handle the normal handling stress the original soldering could not hold. Pictured as shown of some of the soldering work I did, some labels came off the back some scuff plastic etc. 100% functional and just tested, all mounting hardware options included that may not be needed if mounted under the factory grills.

Woofers: Condition 9 conservative out of 10 for cosmetic appearance, 10 for functional, all pictures posted taken on 4/24 Pictures show the gray closed cell foam on the back of the frame basket, its in perfect shape, included and recommended to mount the speaker on the ring spacer.

Crossovers, as shown, with original connectors, one crossover has a wrinkled label, the wires may have some deadener, black butyl, they were already cleaned after the pics were taken. Fully functional.

These are very good speakers, no need for amplified power other than the Head Unit, tweeters or woofers can be used in a different car since they use separate crossovers. The midbass is very good. In the Ridgeline, it is pretty much a connect and play for factory locations, you can bi amp them also.

I need to add also that I only drive my truck no more than 2-3 times a week and for very few hours, I barely drive 7K miles per year, that will give you an idea of the these drivers have.

I will split the woofers and tweeters, if I get a buyer for both items as follows.

$60 plus shipping for the woofers with crossovers and $30.00 shipped for the tweeters with crossovers.

I will also offer tech support and advice, answer any questions you have about installing these.

You will need a ring for the woofers with 7" OD and 5 5/8" ID, 3/4" or 1" thick MDF, HDPE or PVC lumber, if you use the plastic speaker adapters available, I would make sure the ID clears for installation.
No door cutting needed to install these.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'm interested, PM me what you think shipping will add to 92394.

Just re-read your "Pimp your Factory Sound" thread. Have you posted anything on the Woofer install.

Also I see you drove these or say these can be driven by the factory HU, W/O issue?

Just confirming.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will pm you the shipping quote, thanks

Yes, these are very efficient speakers, I would not use an amplifier for the tweeters, the woofers do not need an amplifier either although they can benefit from some extra power.

I used these in all configurations.

Tweeters with factory door speakers and HU no amplifier

Tweeters and woofers, with factory HU, no amplifier (much better bass sound than factory)

With an amplifier only the woofers sounded stronger and benefited from the extra power, the tweeters were too strong to my taste with extra power, but everybody is diifferent, some have more sensitive ears than others, if ever bi amped with separate crossovers, I would drive the tweeters with it's crossovers and the factory or aftermarmaket head unit power only.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Regarding the woofers door installation, I may have some pictures in one of my threads, I will search.

The way I did mine, was cutting a 1/4"'thick 7x7x7x7" square piece of mdf using the same ID posted earlier, then glued the 3/4" thick ring to that piece, I drilled a hole within 1" from each corner to mount the 1/4" part to the door.

I did 2 thin coats of wood glue on each surface, before the actual bond , a few months later I took them out, primed and painted the mdf spacers, clear coat rustoleum works good since it has oil based paint.

The best is, simply get a spray can of truck bedliner black coating, and spray the MDF a single coat and it's done, wit no preparation

I put nothing between the inner door and the wood spacer, it mounts flat wit no gaps at all.

If a 3/4" ring or ring with ears is used to mount it on the door, I would use either more of that camper seal foam from HD, or maybe rope caulk in between

With the 7" square plate glued to the ring, after mounting it I would put some rope caulk or duct seal, on the edge of the door and wood, not in between, but it not quite necessary in my opinion, if no extra sound deadening or inner door openings will be sealed.

With the 1" total spacer, the speaker frame, makes contact with the Speaker OD frame, completely closing any gaps between the door panel grill ring eliminating any sound from not going out to the cabin.

Going to tap plastics, you could find left overs for $1-$2.00. Marine starboard is HDPE also, I recommend cutting this material using a hand saw. jigsaw or routers, only if used at a very slow speed, too fast will melt it and make a mess although functional but not smooth.
ABS plastic works well too.

I learned many tricks in the last 2 years, I wished I knew them the very first time.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would grab them. Great speakers from a guy that knows them well.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would grab them. Great speakers from a guy that knows them well.
Thanks, I know it's good upgrade, hard to beat, for someone not interested in adding an amplifier, and keeping factory locations, loudness increase, bass and crisper sound is very noticeable over factory speakers.

The new version 165.3 is the only set that can offer good sound without an amp, but it has a single crossover box for both drivers, making it extremely difficult to keep factory locations unless extra wire is fished to the doors or from the doors out to the dash, or an extra hour or two of work is added to tap into the factory wiring. With the dsk 165.2 only the leads need to be connected to each crossover and drivers.

The midwoofers condition are near mint, no corrosion, no rust and the surrounds are in like new condition. And hertz thinks of everything, the Orange color is a rubberized material, it helps to eliminate the sound back wave, unlike others that you have the bare magnet and metal exposed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts