·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
So I'm toying with trying to put a Fuba type antenna on the roof forward of the third brake light, and using the wires from the stock horizontal antenna. I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish my goal of improved radio reception with the stock HU. Seems like all the required parts are already installed at the factory, but we know reception is bad because of a horizontal antenna coupled with a metal roof. So if one was to just cut the stock antenna off and replace it with a vertical antenna, reception should be improved right?
When I drive to work in our '08 Lexus RX350 and a '99 Ford Taurus I get to ride in, there is improved reception over the same route.
If there is some reason why this just won't work go easy please, I'm not fluent in 'electrical speak' :)

The antenna on the RX350 is neat in that it is foldable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
My only experience with having success with increasing radio reception in the past is to use a clothes hanger to extend the antenna :)
I wish to use that premise here, by extending the current system. It sounds like I need an un-amplified antenna with wires that would hook up to that in the pic below. Maybe an external antenna from a different Honda model, or shorten the R59 cable for one with the Motorola connection so there is not much slack if that type could be used.

Automotive exterior Hood Bumper Trunk Vehicle

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=266146&postcount=4

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
So I'm determined to improve radio reception in my 2014 SE while keeping the stock Head Unit. I would like to unplug the horizontal antenna under the third brake light on the rear of the roof and connect an external antenna for which I will drill a hole.

Looking at the parts diagram it is just wiring harnesses that go from the head unit to the antenna, with an antenna module #6 in between. I'm wondering what this antenna module does? Is it an signal amp or is that housed in the HU? If I find a suitable antenna I'm not sure if I should try and tie it in before the module or after?

I don't understand the electronics involved ie - resistance, amplitude modulation etc; and am looking for plug and play where possible. I was thinking of trying a Acura or Honda external antenna from a different model hoping the connectors may be similar.

If its not possible to use the stock wiring to connect an external antenna, I do have an amplified VW FUBA antenna in the box which I may use with its own cable. In case I go that route I need to know where the amp is for the stock antenna.

Suggestions welcome.....

Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Diagram

Illust No. Reqd.Qty. Description
001-- 001-- BAND, WIRE HARNESS OFFSET (20)(122.5MM)
002-- 002-- SPEAKER ASSY., TWEETER (PREMIUM) (PIONEER)
003-- 001-- ENCLOSURE ASSY., SUBWOOFER (PIONEER)
004-- 004-- SPEAKER ASSY. (17CM) (SINGLE) (PIONEER)
005-- 001-- ANTENNA ASSY., XM *NH578*
006-- 001-- MODULE UNIT, ANTENNA
007-- 001-- SUB-FEEDER ASSY., ANTENNA
008-- 001-- FEEDER ASSY., ANTENNA
009-- 001-- FEEDER ASSY., XM
010-- 001-- NUT ASSY.
011-- 001-- XM UNIT
012-- 001-- LID ASSY., R. SPEAKER *NH607L*(STD)
013-- 001-- LID ASSY., L. SPEAKER *NH607L*(STD)
014-- 004-- CLIP, SNAP FITTING
015-- 001-- BOLT, GROUND (6X16) (WASHER 12.5MM) (ZN)
016-- 004-- BOLT-WASHER (6X20)
017-- 001-- CLIP, WIRE HARNESS (50MM) (BLACK)(HARNESS TAPING)
018-- 002-- CLIP, WIRE HARNESS (44MM) (NATURAL)
019-- 016-- CLIP, HARNESS BAND (96.9MM) (NATURAL)
020-- 001-- CLIP, WIRE HARNESS (110MM) (NATURAL)
021-- 001-- CLIP, CONNECTOR (RED)
022-- 002-- CLIP, WIRE HARNESS (130MM) (NATURAL)
023-- 003-- BOLT-WASHER (6X16)

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~antenna~assy~39150-SJC-A11ZE.html

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
so is that your issue? (he asks out of ignorance)

The Ridgeline has an amplified antenna and you're replacing it with a non amplified version

The antenna amplifier is part 6 in the parts diagram above (the "Module unit") and is located under the headliner in the rear....Heli it's right near the area where the antenna cable enters the vehicle near the third taillight
Thanks ELK for clarifying. So if #6 in the diagram in my previous post is the radio antenna amp, OhSix was trying to add an antenna without an antenna amplifier?

OH SIX, Thanks for all the advice (and education) , I will probably run the new wire after all.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
Nice Job. Thanks for the update. Its true what you say about the cheap China crap. Wish I had known about that antenna from the get go. Keep us updated if you go further afield or venture downtown.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
Thanks for the update. I almost purchased the Bosch Antenna yesterday but got sidetracked. My purchase is on hold till you again update the difference the shorty makes.
How many inches did the Bosch extend above the roof vertically?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.