Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with either closing the fuel access door or with it popping open on its' own? We turned 1000 miles today on a road trip and we had to stop and close the fuel access door three times. This is the first time that we have had problems.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I haven't had this problem, but there's only a couple of things that would cause it, and they're related. Check the small handle by the seat and see if it is getting stuck . If it's not all the way down, something ( a crumb, dirt, etc) is preventing if from returning all the way. Otherwise, the small tab that retracts behind the fuel door itself is not returning to position. Either one is likely caused by a speck of debris in the way. If nothing is there, perhaps grease them both a little. Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi Smoky,

I just got home from filling up and noticed the filler door was already opened. Finished gassing her up and twisted the required bunch of clicks on the gas cap and shut the filler door only to find it pop back at me! What [email protected]#$. I went into my door cubby to get my maglite and noticed a shop towel caught under the gas filler release knob. "Yank!!" no more problem. Hope yours is that simple.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What about a warning that says "check fuel door" or something like that?

I have done the same stuff, unscrewing the filler cap and retightening, but it will not go away. It just started yesterday at 9427 miles.

I will check the door puller by the seat to see if there is any debris blocking the switch from fully retracting.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
461 Posts
The lever next to the seat never retracts on it's own on my RL. I pull it up to release the fuel door, and then I manually have to push it back down. Otherwise when I finish gassing up the fuel door wouldn't stay shut.
I've just assumed that's the way it's meant to work.
I'll have to take a closer look at it to see if it's damaged or there's dirt in it or something.
I did have the carpet replaced due to the A-Pillar leak, and now wonder if something was damaged in the process.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Rick Walker said:
The lever next to the seat never retracts on it's own on my RL. I pull it up to release the fuel door, and then I manually have to push it back down. Otherwise when I finish gassing up the fuel door wouldn't stay shut.
I've just assumed that's the way it's meant to work.
I'll have to take a closer look at it to see if it's damaged or there's dirt in it or something.
I did have the carpet replaced due to the A-Pillar leak, and now wonder if something was damaged in the process.
It should go back down by itself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, it should go back down... see if the latch that holds the door closed needs a shot of grease. It might be getting stuck there. Or maybe the lever is catching on something? The alternative is a bad cable which I suspect would not be the easiest thing to replace.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your problem sounds to me like your dealer did the typical thing...while "fixing" one thing, they broke others.

In your case, the "spring" or whatever returns the lever to its lower position is broke or was not connected properly.

TAKE IT BACK AND DEMAND THEY FIX IT RIGHT!

Anyone else have any solutions for the "check fuel door" message?

George

·
Registered
856 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the fuel access door but when it is 20 degrees F below zero my driver door doesn't close easily.

·
Registered
461 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
Your problem sounds to me like your dealer did the typical thing...while "fixing" one thing, they broke others.

In your case, the "spring" or whatever returns the lever to its lower position is broke or was not connected properly.

TAKE IT BACK AND DEMAND THEY FIX IT RIGHT!
I've looked closely now and it looks like the lever beside the seat is a little twisted. Think you're right George. It looks like they damaged it when replacing the carpet. I've checked the "button" latch at the fuel door and can push it in and it pops back out with no problem. That spring seems strong - no problem there. So the problem is at the lever end of the system...

I'll make an appointment to take it in shortly. Looks like my VIN is in the range for the "inner handle recall" (see the link to the thread below) too, so I'll wait for the official recall announcement and have both issues taken care of.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88395&highlight=door+recall#post88395
- Rick

PS - sorry for hijacking the thread, but glad for the input... You guys ROC!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rick,
Try straightening it with a little finger pressure. I bent mine when I kneeled on it when replacing the A12, which resulted in it not returning to the normal position. Easily bent it back to the proper position and works fine now.
Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
I finally gave up trying to fix this "check fuel cap" message myself, so I took it into the dealer.

They "ran their complete diagnostic tests, and everything is functioning properly. The switches and the message center."

So, what did they do? THEY RESET THE COMPUTER...so now my OLM (oil life minder) is back to 100%. It was at 50% before they did anything. So, now another problem...the dealer screwed up! I guess I will take it in when it gets down to 60% just to be safe...it already LOOKS somewhat dirty.

But the "check fuel cap" message is gone.

LMAO! What a freaking joke!
Maybe next time I will just buy a Chevy, at least then I can EXPECT things to break and get crappy service from GM....

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
66 Posts
It might be too late to ask now, but when the service guys at my wifes Acura dealer accidentally reset her OLM, they gave her a free oil and filter change as an apology.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I mean no disrespect when I say this, but an ACURA IS NOT A HONDA, especially coming from an ex-Acura owner. They are very different cars and the service departments are even MORE different!

I am happy your wife got something a little extra out of the deal, but if I even MENTIONED getting something for nothing at my local dealer, I would be kicked out of the place! Plus I wouldn't want them (techs or mgrs) to "spit" on my RL.

DAMN DEALERS!

George

·
Registered
876 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
I mean no disrespect when I say this, but an ACURA IS NOT A HONDA, especially coming from an ex-Acura owner. They are very different cars and the service departments are even MORE different!
I've had experience with both, and so far I've had better service at the Honda dealer than I ever did at the Acura dealer. The Honda service guys I see now seem sincerely interested in helping; the Acura service people I went to seemed a bit disinterested.

Smoky, has the problem continued?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it happened again and again and again..... UNTIL - they took off the inside of the bed apart to put in our antenna cable in for our Ham Radio. Now, the thing works like a charm. I don't know what happened or what they did, but if anyone else has the same problem I did, I can recommend my Ham Radio installer :D

Not sure what was wrong with it, but it was so annoying, it either wouldn't line up right when shutting (we have pin stripes), or it would pop back open for no reason! It liked hubby shutting it best, he could massage it into place better than me. Just one of those things....

As for the Check Fuel Cap, I haven't had that message since our initial ownership period. We are very diligent about turning that 3-6 clicks after fill up.

Smoky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts