Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K....I did a lot of looking around on this site for some information on this. I found some mention of fuel injectors, but I can't say I saw anything that indicated that an owner had actually changed out the injectors on his/her engine. Is it common for the V6 NOT to need new injectors or is it understood and I just missed it? I'm at 120,000 on my '06 and it runs very well. I was just looking ahead at maintenance issues.

Thanks for any input.:act010:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
I've had to do them on Domestic's but never on a Honda. 185k plus miles on my '97 Civic, before I sold it to my neighbor's son, it's over 250k now and he's literally done nothing to it. My '96 Del Sol has 188k, & my Ridgeline has 77k, I'm not sure if it helps but I add a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner at every oil change?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I've never heard of an injector problem on Ridgeline.

I don't like Honda's design of a non-user serviceable fuel filter (it is attached to the fuel pump inside the fuel tank) but to be fair, so far I've never had a problem with one on a Honda.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's just it. I haven't heard of injector replacement on a Honda either! Pretty impressive really. We have all spent a good amount of time picking apart several different "problems" with these great vehicles, and I think we sometimes forget all the things that DON'T go wrong with them.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have to say that there are a few owner/members with unsolved "rough idle" issues; and I'd like to see one of them get injectors serviced to see if that might be the problem (after they've eliminated most other variables).

It would be good to know if injector service (new or refurbed & new seals, etc.) would solve the rough idle issue on higher miles trucks.

Like you, I'd like to be prepare for what I might face down the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Usually better to clean injectors before replacing them. I am new to Honda,
always saw them as 2 bikes surrounded by sheet metal. Had a Dodge Dakota
(Rust bucket) 7 yrs old had idle problems which sometimes showed up in
regular driving (loss of power), my mechanic had an injector cleaning machine,
so he hooked it up and it did improve somewhat, but problem turned out to
be one bad spark plug. My mechanic says injectors can go bad but most are
just dirty. Proper troubleshooting is key. Hope this helps.

Mikey

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody...pretty much the same thoughts I had. I think it's interesting that those little devils (injectors) could function literally "millions" of times with no problems. I mean, many owners have logged over 200,000 miles. That's a LOT of fuel through the injectors. Maybe it's the ethanol. Has to be good for something, maybe that's it! :act024:

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
Thanks everybody...pretty much the same thoughts I had. I think it's interesting that those little devils (injectors) could function literally "millions" of times with no problems. I mean, many owners have logged over 200,000 miles. That's a LOT of fuel through the injectors. Maybe it's the ethanol. Has to be good for something, maybe that's it! :act024:
Try hundreds of millions of injector pulses over that 200,000 miles. An engine running at 2,000 RPM at 60 MPH pulses the injectors 1,000 times per mile. This doesn't even include all the time spent in lower gears while accelerating! The actual number will be somewhat higher.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Recently saw my dealer offering a "fuel injector service". I did not ask for details. Is this just a money making ploy for the dealer or is it worth having it done periodically. Would dumping in some aftermarket injection cleaner into the gas tank every once in awhile do the same thing?

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
Recently saw my dealer offering a "fuel injector service". I did not ask for details. Is this just a money making ploy for the dealer or is it worth having it done periodically. Would dumping in some aftermarket injection cleaner into the gas tank every once in awhile do the same thing?
It's a high profit, rarely necessary service that will yield zero improvement in performance, economy, or drivability when performed as a preventive maintenance item. Although uncommon, injectors can clog with varnish or debris. When this does happen, it usually causes a poor spray pattern resulting in incomplete combustion. Debris can also prevent the injector from fully closing resulting in a flooded or "rich" cylinder and/or a misfire. It is possible for an injector to clog fully resulting in no fuel flow or a "lean" cylinder as well. The best thing you can do to maximize the life of your fuel system (including your injectors) is to use a top-tier gasoline from a reputable station. Virtually all gasoline has had at least a minimum required amount of detergents for years - not just "premium" formulations (although those are permitted to have more detergents than "regular" grade). With rare exception, pouring additives in your tank is not a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
Reviving this old thread with some important information for anyone finding it necessary to replace the injectors in their G1 Ridgeline. Please use OEM injectors as the NAPA ones will not fit.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2 Posts
O.K....I did a lot of looking around on this site for some information on this. I found some mention of fuel injectors, but I can't say I saw anything that indicated that an owner had actually changed out the injectors on his/her engine. Is it common for the V6 NOT to need new injectors or is it understood and I just missed it? I'm at 120,000 on my '06 and it runs very well. I was just looking ahead at maintenance issues.

Thanks for any input.:act010:
My ridgeline with 20,000 miles had the Emissions light illuminated, the dealership found 2 codes : P219B air fuel ratio variation cylinders, and P0420 catalytic converter below threshold. They ran a cylinder variation test and cylinders 3-5 failed RICH. The "fix" was to replace all the fuel injectors per a service bulletin 18-025. Because the truck was still under warranty I went forward with the recommended repair but I wondered why the fuel injectors could not be cleaned and why this part is considered a throw away non serviceable system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My ridgeline with 20,000 miles had the Emissions light illuminated, the dealership found 2 codes : P219B air fuel ratio variation cylinders, and P0420 catalytic converter below threshold. They ran a cylinder variation test and cylinders 3-5 failed RICH. The "fix" was to replace all the fuel injectors per a service bulletin 18-025. Because the truck was still under warranty I went forward with the recommended repair but I wondered why the fuel injectors could not be cleaned and why this part is considered a throw away non serviceable system.
I forgot to mention that the service bulletin says that the issue is caused by debris from the manufacturing process clogging the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,600 Posts
I forgot to mention that the service bulletin says that the issue is caused by debris from the manufacturing process clogging the fuel injectors.
Your's is a GenII which has history (and a TSB) of injector issues. Other posts in this thread are concerning the GenI which hasn't had any significant injector problems. . . Completely different systems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts