Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My emissions problem light came on and I took it to Stockton 12 Honda in Salt Lake. They said it was faulty fuel injectors. They are not blocked but allowing too much gas into the system causing excess emissions. My vehicle is a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-T with 45,000 miles. I have a long commute to work. Anyway, they want $1,500 to replace the injectors and associated equipment. I have used "Ethanol clear gas since purchasing the vehicle. The service rep said it is been a common problem for Ridgelines and Pilots with high miles in a short period of time.

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
There have been a few reports of fuel injector replacements on 2016 Pilots and I believe I've seen one 2017 Ridgeline on here that got new injectors. The part number for the injector set has changed from 16010-RLV-305 to 16010-RLV-315.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Would this not be covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
41 Posts
WOW after reading this I looked up the Federal Emissions Warranty in the 2018 Ridgeline Warranty Information booklet. It looks like the following components are only covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles (see list below). I would have thought the Fuel Injection System would have been covered under the 5 year, 60,000 mile Power Train Warranty. If it's not, this is a joke and the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty is a joke. I did find on the last page of the warranty book that in some states Fuel Injectors are covered for 7 years, 70,000 miles certain other fuel injection components are covered for 3 years, 50,000. If he's in one of the states below, he may be covered by the Emissions Warranty. My guess is the dealer has no clue.

(California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington).

What does Active Seat Ventilation or Air Conditioning System have to due with emissions control, besides being expensive to repair. LOL

Crankcase Control System
Evaporative and Refueling Emissions Control Systems
Exhaust Gas Re-circulation System
Exhaust System
Ignition System
FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
OBD System
Transmission Control System
Intake Air System
Valve Control System
Hybrid Power Train System
Air Conditioning System
Active Grill Shutter
Active Seat Ventilation
High Efficiency Light (LED)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I'll add to the WOW factor. I'm really surprised that there are injector failures out there. Never had one on any vehicle I've owned. My RL has 109k with no problems. What are people running with gas? I run E-10 and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What does Active Seat Ventilation or Air Conditioning System have to due with emissions control, besides being expensive to repair. LOL(LED)
Anything that has refrigerant in it is required to be reliable enough not to be leaking into the atmosphere prematurely. I don't know if the Active Seat Ventilation system in Honda blows cold air or just air, but some cars do and it's part of the HVAC system so I imagine it gets caught up in generic definitions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Question... have you changed your gasoline? When I moved to Utah and used 85 octane gas, my check engine light would come on. When I switched to 87 octane at Chevron/Shell, the light went out. After speaking to a service advisor at Ken Garff, he recommended stop using Costco 85 and use only top line gasoline such as Chevron/Shell. When I made the change, the light went out and stayed out. Just wondering if the change for you might help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Injectors Replacement!!

Took in 17 RTLT for emissions system problem message. Dealer read code P219A and states truck needs injectors and fuel pipe joint replaced. Truck has just over 36 miles and they / Honda refuses to fix under warranty. Called Honda HQ and they were kind enough to offer to pay 80% of the $1638 bill. Crap this is the 6th Honda Acura we have owned and they could care less! Told them this will be the last Honda I will ever purchase and they could care less. Service writer recommended Seafoam so I treated engine two consecutive times and light has not appeared again after a 3 week span. I am thinking the injectors may have been dirty which don't know as I use Mobil gas only. Googling the code gives multiple issues that may cause that code to appear. The truck runs fine, never the less I am pissed that a vehicle with that few miles would even need injectors replacement as well as Honda caring less!

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
Re: Injectors Replacement!!

Several Ridgeline and Pilot owners have reported codes P219A and P0430/P0420 requiring injector and fuel rail replacement.

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-ridgeline-2g-2017/215184-fuel-rail.html

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/206986-emissions-system-problem.html

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/186129-misfire-cylinder-5-a.html

Your new vehicle limited warranty ended at 36,000 miles. I think it's quite generous for Honda to offer to pay 80% of your repair after the warranty has expired even if this was due to a manufacturing/assembly error and especially if it was due to contaminated fuel!

·
Super Moderator
22,613 Posts

I thought the engine/drive train had a 60k/5 year warranty?

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts

I thought the engine/drive train had a 60k/5 year warranty?
"Powertrain" generally refers to internal parts of the engine - not external parts like the alternator, starter, fuel system, ignition system, cooling system, etc. Basically, it's the "long block" as far as the engine is concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My Ridgeline info: 2017 Honda Ridgeline - 49,000 miles - bought in Nov 2016

Hey Everyone,

I had the "Emissions system problem" popup multiple times.

The first time I took it into the dealership they said a PCM software update would fix this issue. So they installed the software update that day.

A couple months later I got this message again and by the time I got to the dealership the message disappeared, but they said they would still run some diagnostics tests on it. The service manager called me later that day to tell me that 1 of my fuel injectors was faulty and they needed to replace all of them because its not recommended to just replace 1. He told me that normally a service like this would cost $1800 but he talked with their Honda Representative and explained how new the vehicle was with the current mileage and told me that they would cover 90% of the bill if I paid 10% ($180).

I told him I appreciated him talking to the Honda Representative on my behalf but I was really disappointed that I am already having fuel injector issues and I have only had the vehicle for 2 years and it only has 50,000 miles on it. I have owned multiple Hondas with over 150,000 miles and have never run into fuel injector problems.

Obviously, this falls out of the "New Vechicle Limited Warranty" 3 years or 36,000miles & I couldn't find anything stating fuel injectors are covered in the "Powertrain Limited Warranty" 5 years or 60,000 miles. So I just paid for them to do this service.

I had this done on Feb 4th and will try to keep everyone posted if the message reappears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Injector issue/ replacement

I just wanted to add my experience to the list of Ridgelines that required injectors to be replaced. I have a 2017 with 32k miles.
Started with a check engine light and a bunch of warnings. I called and made an appointment with the dealer. On the way there the CEL and warnings went away. I almost turned around but figured I'd just see if a code was stored.
Misfire on cylinder 3 was recorded. Dealer recommended replacement of all fuel injectors and pipe.
Luckily everything was covered under the warranty.
I'd just warn other owners to not ignore a cel even if it goes away. I've read this is a $1500+ repair and you want to have that done under warranty if you can.

·
Super Moderator
4,775 Posts
Re: Injector issue/ replacement

I just wanted to add my experience to the list of Ridgelines that required injectors to be replaced. I have a 2017 with 32k miles.
Started with a check engine light and a bunch of warnings. I called and made an appointment with the dealer. On the way there the CEL and warnings went away. I almost turned around but figured I'd just see if a code was stored.
Misfire on cylinder 3 was recorded. Dealer recommended replacement of all fuel injectors and pipe.
Luckily everything was covered under the warranty.
I'd just warn other owners to not ignore a cel even if it goes away. I've read this is a $1500+ repair and you want to have that done under warranty if you can.
My question would be; Does the dealer think this will solve the problem or will the injectors fail again in the NEAR future?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Add me to the list of owners with emission system warnings and then new fuel injectors- luckily under warranty. It may be in my head but my truck seems to be running fine but feels a bit slower and less responsive than before they worked on it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 144 Posts